Saint Peter

Jane Goodie

At the risk of getting blasted into oblivion here, I have to point out the silver lining in the dark cloud that is this young woman.

If her plight has in fact caused more British women to get Pap smears and pelvic exams done it's not all bad.

CarolAnn, you have a point. I still can't get over the fact that in this country women don't have a smear until the age of 25... and then every three years, and by their doctor's nurse.

In other countries where I lived, including Argentina, you are checked once a year from the moment you become sexually active. And you are checked by a gynaecologist, not a nurse.

Same with mammograms. I was told by my gynaecologist back in Vienna in 2000 that it was about time I had one done. I moved to the UK shortly after, and when I told this to my GP she said that I had to wait until the age of 55 WTF? Is it me, or most women who get breast cancer are dead by 55?

And when I said this to my GP, instead of her saying "I know, but the NHS can't afford if. If you can, I suggest you pay for it privately" she replied "well, they are ALL wrong (The doctors in the US, Argentina, Austria) and we are right. There is no need to have these checks earlier or more often. ;)

I think it's something to do with younger breast tissue being denser (less saggy) thus it's difficult to detect tumours accurately and a significant ("insert random statistic here") number are missed giving false reassurance. That and as we know radiation can actually induce cancer so perhaps younger/premenopausal women are more susceptible to ionising radiation?. I'm sure wikipedia has the answers, as always, should someone care to search for the true reasons. There is of course another suggestion, perhaps doctors are making the assumption that those over 55 aren't getting regular touchy feely sessions so they don the latex gloves and take the honour.

OK, but what about the smears?

At the risk of getting blasted into oblivion here, I have to point out the silver lining in the dark cloud that is this young woman.

If her plight has in fact caused more British women to get Pap smears and pelvic exams done it's not all bad.

CarolAnn, you have a point. I still can't get over the fact that in this country women don't have a smear until the age of 25... and then every three years, and by their doctor's nurse.

In other countries where I lived, including Argentina, you are checked once a year from the moment you become sexually active. And you are checked by a gynaecologist, not a nurse.

Same with mammograms. I was told by my gynaecologist back in Vienna in 2000 that it was about time I had one done. I moved to the UK shortly after, and when I told this to my GP she said that I had to wait until the age of 55 WTF? Is it me, or most women who get breast cancer are dead by 55?

And when I said this to my GP, instead of her saying "I know, but the NHS can't afford if. If you can, I suggest you pay for it privately" she replied "well, they are ALL wrong (The doctors in the US, Argentina, Austria) and we are right. There is no need to have these checks earlier or more often. ;)

I think it's something to do with younger breast tissue being denser (less saggy) thus it's difficult to detect tumours accurately and a significant ("insert random statistic here") number are missed giving false reassurance. That and as we know radiation can actually induce cancer so perhaps younger/premenopausal women are more susceptible to ionising radiation?. I'm sure wikipedia has the answers, as always, should someone care to search for the true reasons. There is of course another suggestion, perhaps doctors are making the assumption that those over 55 aren't getting regular touchy feely sessions so they don the latex gloves and take the honour.

I've had a pap smear every year since I was 14, done by a gynecologist or internist. I had my first mammogram at 39 and have had one every year since then. The new digital mammograms transcend the problem of breast tissue - my last one found calcifications in my breast that are being watched closely. I will have another diagnostic mammogram in April (six months after my last one) and if there is any change I will have a stereotactic biopsy.

I have to say I like our system for this much better.

What do you mean? Our system killed off Jade Goody. Surely that counts for something?

I've had a pap smear every year since I was 14, done by a gynecologist or internist. I had my first mammogram at 39 and have had one every year since then. The new digital mammograms transcend the problem of breast tissue - my last one found calcifications in my breast that are being watched closely. I will have another diagnostic mammogram in April (six months after my last one) and if there is any change I will have a stereotactic biopsy.

I thought Rooney should have been brought on earlier last night. :mellow:

Guest No

That's pathetic. Women can't even discuss their own health issues amongst themselves without men interupting us with their "Oh look at me, I'm being funny, never mind you may have cancer I just made a joke, pay me attention"

If you want to talk football go to the football thread.

That's pathetic. Women can't even discuss their own health issues amongst themselves without men interupting us with their "Oh look at me, I'm being funny, never mind you may have cancer I just made a joke, pay me attention"

If you want to talk football go to the football thread.

Blimey, who flicked your nutsacks and ran away?

Was my Jade Goody joke ok?

Sorry for any offence caused.

I'm a man, look at me....

Was my Jade Goody joke ok?

Sorry for any offence caused.

I'm a man, look at me....

Blimey, you have to look really closely Winnie, but yes, you're a man.

Whatever the shortcomings of the UK system, the situation as I understand it is that she DID have smear tests, DID have abnormal results but IGNORED the letters sent to her about it. ;)

There isn't a thing that can be done if one ignores abnormal results, but it can help many other women if they can know before they are 25 if there are abnormal results.

I'm sorry, but those standards are crap. I'll stick with my death penalty and accessible doctors (since I'm firmly middle class and have insurance, anyway).

I'm sorry, but those standards are crap. I'll stick with my death penalty and accessible doctors (since I'm firmly middle class and have insurance, anyway).

As with so many things, if you have money you are o.k. This is true with regard to whether you get the death penalty or quality health care.

The W.H.O. rankings make interesting reading. This is quite old so perhaps things have changed for the better. Let's hope so for anyone unable to afford, or get health insurance.

As with so many things, if you have money you are o.k. This is true with regard to whether you get the death penalty or quality health care.

The W.H.O. rankings make interesting reading. This is quite old so perhaps things have changed for the better. Let's hope so for anyone unable to afford, or get health insurance.

I can't say I've ever had cause to complain about the quality of care here in Germany, although we do all have to pay a fair chunk of our salary towards it every month.

They say the doctors here are some of the worst paid though.

I'm not up on films but wasn't there a plot in the Adams Family where one of the characters agreed to an unfortunate marriage? Now who was it and why does it come to mind?

addams_family_values_xl_04--film-A.jpg

Jade Goody.

jade_goodie_eastN_450x300.jpg

Uncle Fester

I'm even more impressed that she knows Keanu Reeves.

wl545_bill_ted_bogus_d.jpg

I must say, I have my doubts as to whether this whole cancer thing is actually true (although I agree maybe it seems to be going a bit far now).

Lets examine the facts. If I'm in Jade's position (12 months ago), what's on my big wishlist.

(1) I could do with some cash - it'd be particularly handy to pay for that wedding I've been thinking about

(2) I could do with my public image being repaired after that racism episode

(3) Well that's the big ones dealt - so what else can I wish for? Errr...well how about getting people to push me around in a wheelchair? It's such a drag having to walk everywhere.

Now how on earth can I achieve these things??

[Whisper from Max Clifford]

You really think we could get away with that Max? Where do I sign?

I don't think I've seen any conspiracy theories on this one yet, but how far fetched is a Nick Leeson/Ernest Saunders miracle recovery in due course? :unsure:

If that happens, I shall personally see to it that is terminal...

But surely the Doctors will all know whether it's a fake or not. Or have they been slipped a few?

Adding to the Uncle Fester jibes, surely she can grow back her hair now that she isn't undergoing treatment...

Watched "Question Time" on the beeb last night

There was a mention of websites that were predicting her death date . tut tut.

Thank god Dl is not predicting her death. :unsure:

Will it be a Goody riddance?

(ah, my coat - thank you)

Will it be a Goody riddance?

(ah, my coat - thank you)

That joke was a bit Jade-d

Thank god Dl is not predicting her death. :(

31 March

Thank god Dl is not predicting her death. :(

31 March

A mite optimisitic I'd say YIA, 24th March.

AOL are amongst those reporting her current stay in a hospice. If she needs them to stabilise her now, her immune system is already bordering meltdown. She'll doubtless revive slightly, but if she's unfit to stay in a comfortable home with good medical support, she's already down to counting the days.

I see Mohammed al Fayed has given Jade Goody a £3,500 wedding dress.

"Princess Diana will not be needing it," he added.

Is anyone else refreshing every news website every two minutes to see if she's dead yet?

I bet she dies at 2am so we don't know for hours.

I've been wondering if she's been well enough to consummate the marriage. If not, I reckon it should be annulled and Jack should give the money back.