xzandra

Are We All To Die When CERN Sort Themselves Out?

:( I don't know about everyone out there but i have watched enough sci-fi to know that any experiment that involves that amount of machinary cannot be safe... i mean how many risk assessment forms would you have to fill out for one of those things??? plus what would you put as an awnser! Q: what risks would you see in using this equiptment?? A: some slight temperal displacement to the earths core / atmosphere/ gravity/ plus slight chance it could suck us into a black hole either way we would be all screwed///....... ;)

why do we need to know how the big bang happened anyway and why its it now that after years of stopping it because of the risks to the earth is it now happening wednesday?? with only the coverage in the media of "and finally "segment in the news as we all need to know who won big brother .... but this is deemed to uninportant for people to be that bothered about...

plus where are all these save the planet types??? yes there demonstration was heared when shock horror they were planning that new terminal... that could do serious damage to the earth? but somthing that scientists dont know wether it will work until they try it but flip a coin it might work but in the possibility it wont the earth is literally dead..... there wil be no amount of paper work from health and safety on that one....

yes i might seem slightly concerned... but why is no one else i personally dont want this to become a movie directors dream script and no i dont thing bruce willis or will smith would save us from that one if they do f**k there little experiment up! :ghost:

;):skill2::skill2::skill2::skill2::skill2::skill2::skill2::skill2::skill2::skill2::skill2::skill2::skill2:

;) I don't know about everyone out there but i have watched enough sci-fi to know that any experiment that involves that amount of machinary cannot be safe...

Are you really as dimwitted as your posts make you sound? Do you go out of your way to spell incorrectly and write incoherently or does it just end up that way?

Let me just paraphrase ... You watch (note: this is watch not read, that would be too much to hope for) FICTION where, to make a good story, bad things happen - therefore anything in real life that involves technology should follow this fictional plot scenario and be inherently evil or dangerous.

You mention a slight temperal [sic] displacement to [sic] the earths [sic] core / atmosphere/ gravity plus slight chance it could suck us into a black hole. For starters, define what you mean by a temporal displacement of the Earth's core and/or atmosphere and/or gravity.

You ask why we are doing this experiment. This experiment, planning and construction have been underway for many years. Much has been written about it. If you cannot be bothered to spend five minutes researching it, but are concerned enough to claim we're going to die, then you deserve to remain ignorant.

I suggest you go and do some research on the subject -- maybe even watch some, if you find that easier -- and if you still find it necessary to come back and proclaim our destruction then so be it. But don't preach your own ignorance and highlight it with incorrect spelling in the meantime.

CU Next Thursday.

For those who don't know what the hell xzandra is on about, this might help....

The Big Bang Machine

It'll be several months before they start chucking particles at maximum speed, so the earth is safe for a while yet... ;)

I never understood the hysteria over this one, but it seems to have picked up some inexplicable momentum. I can only imagine the daily hate-mail must have gotten involved somewhere along the line. In any case, CERN have been been proton smashing for years without incident, the only difference with the LHC is one of scale. I heartily recommend NZ's "A Quiet Earth" for a fair and balanced view of the consequences of our actions.

really am not that dimwitted i just aint a spekki wearing geek to these sorts of events and as and sorry to voice an oppinion to a approx 1 miniute segment at the end of the bbc news that i didnt really understand as for me the words could cause blackhole where the earth should be made me slightly concerned and as this in excuse me a death site i thought it might be relivent to voice my as you see it idiotic concernes! and i and as for the spellings... im dyslexic so soooorrryyyyy for the hundreds of us out there that really cant spell because of this stupid thing... but try really hard.... occasionaly when i write if people get the gyst as to what im talking about thats fine by me... if not im quite happy to reply and give them a better awnser! ;)

so to you

HONEZ THATS YOU IM TALKIN TO NOW :referee: can you get out your dictionary and SPELL KISS MY ASS! you dyslexyc hating idiot !!!

;)

I never understood the hysteria over this one, but it seems to have picked up some inexplicable momentum. I can only imagine the daily hate-mail must have gotten involved somewhere along the line. In any case, CERN have been been proton smashing for years without incident, the only difference with the LHC is one of scale. I heartily recommend NZ's "A Quiet Earth" for a fair and balanced view of the consequences of our actions.

thankyou for your awnser im not that silly i just really didn't know what it was about from the tv it seemed pretty serious and they diddn't really seem to be that concernd about the matter... thanks again x

For those who don't know what the hell xzandra is on about, this might help....

The Big Bang Machine

It'll be several months before they start chucking particles at maximum speed, so the earth is safe for a while yet... ;)

thankyou as well x you have helped with the explanation... ;)

When I read posts like this, I do ponder where the f**k our future generations of Scientist will come from.

My daughter I love dearly, she is doing well and will continue her further education BUT what does she actually know about the World around her? Bog all. She is far from unique, many of her generation no longer read, watch documentaries or take any interest whatsoever in anything that isnt MTV or Kerrang.

Lady FN is far more qualified than me but takes very little interest in the World around her. Politics may as well be bolloctics, the Big Bang, she believes, was last witnessed on our wedding night and, generally, I often feel that I am talking to a vacant wall while desperately trying to ellicit a response let alone a discussion.

xzandra, you seem quite young, I fear that the stampede by "Educationalists" within our society has bred A* collectors who understand curriculums but know fook all about the world around them.

You are far from the lone "wassit all about" brigade, you are, sadly in the majority. I would venture that ignorance and a lack of interest about what is happening in the World is a far greater crime than an inability to spell.

Personally, it can all go to sh*t, Im not prepared to waste time worrying about the consequences, life really is too short for that.

Imagine, it all goes wrong, hundreds of scientists not as clever as they thought they were........

HONEZ THATS YOU IM TALKIN TO NOW ;) can you get out your dictionary and SPELL KISS MY ASS! you dyslexyc hating idiot !!!

Thanks for that xzandra, but I don't need an English dictionary to know that it's "kiss my arse."

It's DYSLEXIC by the way. ;) Oh, the irony.

I can't be bothered pointing out your other mistakes. That's a game you can play later.

And whilst I'm at it, I'm not an idiot; a person of low general intelligence, or more specifically, in medical/psychological terms, a person with a mental age of four or under.

I can categorically state that I am not an idiot, imbecile or moron as defined by various mental retardation scales, and I suffer no other mental diseases or general learning disabilities.

Unfortunately, this is not something you can lay claim to being afflicted by dyslexia.

When I read posts like this, I do ponder where the f**k our future generations of Scientist will come from.

My daughter I love dearly, she is doing well and will continue her further education BUT what does she actually know about the World around her? Bog all. She is far from unique, many of her generation no longer read, watch documentaries or take any interest whatsoever in anything that isnt MTV or Kerrang.

LFN, here's an interesting take on how today's younglings use the scientific method without even realising it.

Here's a question to ponder.

How come every person that comes on here for a rant about something or other always claims to be dyslexic when their atrocious grammar and spelling is pointed out to them?

And who gives a sh*t anyway?

How come every person that comes on here for a rant about something or other always claims to be dyslexic when their atrocious grammar and spelling is pointed out to them?

That's easy Lardy. Dyslexia has become the trendy excuse for those who are intellectually challenged. No-one is thick anymore. I would have far more respect for thickies such as xzandra if they owned up to it. I'm a bit of a thicky - was and still am - who likes to claim mild dyslexia. As a hack poor spelling caused me great embarrassment in my early career until God gave us the spellchecker.

Many of us can be poor spellers but most of us can use dictionaries and all of us can use spellcheckers. What xzandra is really saying is that she is lazy and does not care about her readers sufficiently to worry about sentence construction. Honez does. He also makes sense and writes interesting things which makes him a top poster.

Stick with it xzandra. You have started an interesting thread. I think we all need to know a little more about particle acceleration. Whodathought in that moment of the Big Bang that billions of years later it would lead to xzandra's inarticulate but passionately felt concerns? Do you live next door to Mr Scream? He knows a lot about this kind of stuff.

Well, I'm very worried about this. Despite learned people assuring me we'll all be fine, I don't see how you can be 100% sure there won't be any problems until it is too late to do anything about it. This is potentially worse than nuclear war. We can't exactly run to the hills, or escape to a bunker. We'll just have to sit tight and hope we are not spaghettified and sucked in to the vortex before we know what's happened. If we are spaghettified, will there be time for it to hurt?

And shouldn't this thread by merged with the "Humanity" thread, where this matter has already been discussed? We should get our affairs in order before we prepare to meet thy doom.

And what is it about dyslexia that prevents people from:

1. Using capital letters at the beginning of sentences, and a period at the end.

2. Cutting and pasting their message into Microsoft Word to make use of its "spell check" function.

And what is it about dyslexia that prevents people from:

1. Using capital letters at the beginning of sentences, and a period at the end.

2. Cutting and pasting their message into Microsoft Word to make use of its "spell check" function.

Agreed, but with the utmost respect Dr, you appear to be listed as from Salisbury (just down the road from me) - so surely you mean 'full stop', not 'period'? ;-)

I live and work about 5km from CERN. If tomorrow I see a black hole coming, I'll post immediately on this board. Give you lot a few more minutes of this miserable existence. So watch this space...

BTW I agree with all the mature posters here. I think it was all summed up rather amusingly in Francis Wheen's Mumbo Jumbo book. How people are prepared to believe any old bollocks without being troubled by rational thought processes.

Spaghettified? Is that like the rapture, only for pastafarians?

(That's believers in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, bless his noodly appendages, for those who may not be familiar with the phrase)

Well if we all disappear into a black hole tomorrow I'll see some of you in Level 3 of Hell, although if I remember rightly the party seems to be in Level 8, Level 3 is where the food is though ;) .

thanks for the support! im obviously not up there with the einstines and if you were to ask me face to face i would be the first to admit that im not quite with it... but i just hate it when people like that just get quite clearly such a buzz from knocking people down! ;) soz to play the dyslexic card but i am im not thick i just have problems with hte whole words thing.. and im proud to be that way i like so many others deal with ths every day i just see it as a challange.. so really dont give that much of an arse as i dont use spell check that often1 maby i should more but what the heck annoying people who cross the i's and dot the ts is just plain fun!! as they could sit all day and diffuse my writing like some teacher... he he he .. ;)

:unsure: but i was kinda trying to make a frustrated piont to somthing i diddnt really understand and to which is somthing that even if id looked into it i still wouldnt ... the thing about web pages like this and forums is that there is allways someone who actually knows what they are on about and allways has a straight forward awnser to questions people like myself dont really understand... i just dont see the point why an individule tries to undermine the point of question to feel there own self importance over somthing so stupid when all i have done is ask a question.. yes admitingly in a rambely whoosamawhatsit sort of way ... sad... :referee:

yes rambly is not a word... and nether is whosamawhatsit for those who have a dictionary perminantly stapled to there heads! <_<

thanks for the support! im obviously not up there with the einstines and if you were to ask me face to face i would be the first to admit that im not quite with it... but i just hate it when people like that just get quite clearly such a buzz from knocking people down! :banghead: soz to play the dyslexic card but i am im not thick i just have problems with hte whole words thing.. and im proud to be that way i like so many others deal with ths every day i just see it as a challange.. so really dont give that much of an arse as i dont use spell check that often1 maby i should more but what the heck annoying people who cross the i's and dot the ts is just plain fun!! as they could sit all day and diffuse my writing like some teacher... he he he .. :crossbone:

:unsure: but i was kinda trying to make a frustrated piont to somthing i diddnt really understand and to which is somthing that even if id looked into it i still wouldnt ... the thing about web pages like this and forums is that there is allways someone who actually knows what they are on about and allways has a straight forward awnser to questions people like myself dont really understand... i just dont see the point why an individule tries to undermine the point of question to feel there own self importance over somthing so stupid when all i have done is ask a question.. yes admitingly in a rambely whoosamawhatsit sort of way ... sad... <_<

yes rambly is not a word... and nether is whosamawhatsit for those who have a dictionary perminantly stapled to there heads! <_<

Okay, let me try to "diffuse" [sic] this and paraphrase what I think you are trying to say.

"I have misinterpreted people having a go at me and I actually think they are supporting me.

I admit I'm thick, but I don't like it when someone says so.

To contradict what I just said, I am not thick, I just have remedial writing skills. I am proud that I cannot communicate and I don't use the basic tools available to me to help. I claim I think it's fun when people see my infantile writing, but obviously I do get annoyed when people point it out to me.

My original point was to ask about something I don't understand and if I wasn't too lazy to get off my arse and look into it, I still wouldn't have a clue about, so I thought I'd ask someone who actually is clever and isn't lazy like me. They could explain it so simply that even I could understand without having to think for myself.

I do not understand why honez is annoyed I asked for someone to spoon feed me this information, using atrocious English. Yes, I write sh*t, and I'll prove it with the last bit."

I think that helps clear your post up enormously.

To help answer your original question, the experiment accelerates protons, smashes them together and looks at what comes out. Why? Because it will allow a better understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

Will it kill us? No - the mass of protons is very small, and (as anyone with basic general knowledge knows) seeing that E=MC2, if the mass is piddly, then the energy isn't going to be able to pull the skin off custard.

Now, if you'd asked your question coherently in the first place, this would have been the kind of answer you would have received.

Seeing as you couldn't be arsed, then no-one else could.

Your language skills really are atrocious and you should be ashamed of communicating like a five year old. The only medium we have on this forum is the written one, and if you look like a five year old, or retarded ten year old, when you use that medium, then don't get all uppity when people treat you as they see it.

To use an example, if I was attempting to communicate through the medium of music, yet couldn't be bothered to put the notes in the right order, used the wrong key, didn't use the same musical notation as everyone else and could barely play my instrument then I'd hardly expect a warm reception when someone took the time to listen to my music.

thanks for the support! im obviously not up there with the einstines and if you were to ask me face to face i would be the first to admit that im not quite with it... but i just hate it when people like that just get quite clearly such a buzz from knocking people down! :banghead: soz to play the dyslexic card but i am im not thick i just have problems with hte whole words thing.. and im proud to be that way i like so many others deal with ths every day i just see it as a challange.. so really dont give that much of an arse as i dont use spell check that often1 maby i should more but what the heck annoying people who cross the i's and dot the ts is just plain fun!! as they could sit all day and diffuse my writing like some teacher... he he he .. :crossbone:

:unsure: but i was kinda trying to make a frustrated piont to somthing i diddnt really understand and to which is somthing that even if id looked into it i still wouldnt ... the thing about web pages like this and forums is that there is allways someone who actually knows what they are on about and allways has a straight forward awnser to questions people like myself dont really understand... i just dont see the point why an individule tries to undermine the point of question to feel there own self importance over somthing so stupid when all i have done is ask a question.. yes admitingly in a rambely whoosamawhatsit sort of way ... sad... <_<

Okay, let me try to "diffuse" [sic] this and paraphrase what I think you are trying to say.

"I have misinterpreted people having a go at me and I actually think they are supporting me.

To contradict what I just said, I am not thick, I just have remedial writing skills. I am proud that I cannot communicate and I don't use the basic tools available to me to help. I claim I think it's fun when people see my infantile writing, but obviously I do get annoyed when people point it out to me.

My original point was to ask about something I don't understand and if I wasn't too lazy to get off my arse and look into it, I still wouldn't have a clue about, so I thought I'd ask someone who actually is clever and isn't lazy like me. They could explain it so simply that even I could understand without having to think for myself.

I do not understand why honez is annoyed I asked for someone to spoon feed me this information, using atrocious English. Yes, I write sh*t, and I'll prove it with the last bit."

I think that helps clear your post up enormously.

To help answer your original question, the experiment accelerates protons, smashes them together and looks at what comes out. Why? Because it will allow a better understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

Will it kill us? No - the mass of protons is very small, and (as anyone with basic general knowledge knows) seeing that E=MC2, if the mass is piddly, then the energy isn't going to be able to pull the skin off custard.

Now, if you'd asked your question coherently in the first place, this would have been the kind of answer you would have received.

Seeing as you couldn't be arsed, then no-one else could.

Your language skills really are atrocious and you should be ashamed of communicating like a five year old. The only medium we have on this forum is the written one, and if you look like a five year old, or retarded ten year old, when you use that medium, then don't get all uppity when people treat you as they see it.

To use an example, if I was attempting to communicate through the medium of music, yet couldn't be bothered to put the notes in the right order, used the wrong key, didn't use the same musical notation as everyone else and could barely play my instrument then I'd hardly expect a warm reception when someone took the time to listen to my music.

Are you the ghost of Eric Morecambe? He played all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.

Maybe

will help xzandra get to grips with the LHC, as most young people seem to enjoy this hip-hop stuff, even versions that sound vaguely like Blondie's Rapture. Sampling Hawking - those rappers love it, don't they?

I can't find find an emo-based explanation, sorry.

Talking of Stevie H, he reckons, like 99.9999% of us, that we're going to be just fine. He's also set to lose a $100 bet if scientists discover the 'God particle'. See xzandy, there's always someone worse off than you.

honez, that's the most amusing and eloquent breaking of a butterfly on a wheel I've read in a while.

Anyone seen sections of their local area spinning into expanding oblivion yet? I mean, I have, but that's nowt new in West Cumbria.

Anyone seen sections of their local area spinning into expanding oblivion yet? I mean, I have, but that's nowt new in West Cumbria.

It's a bit cloudy, but from what I can see, I'm still here in Geneva.

Guest ATS

Thankfully Prof.Brian Cox the ex keyboard player with D:Ream is

working on this project. So in his words things can only get better

Perhaps we may yet again see Prescott and Mandelson singing and

dancing along to this tune