Vaagheid

Silent Era People

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 18:29, drol said:

So the survivors are:

*Mary Carlisle (1914), very recognizable actress and famous on her own in the 30s. Think she might get decent coverage when she goes.

*Don Marion Davis (1917) believed to have died in 2012, resurrected for his 100th birthday. Career ended in 1925.

*Fay McKenzie (1918) Indeed had a decent adult career as a character actress. Might sneak an obit.

*Diana Serra Cary (1918) The one and only Baby Peggy. The last great star from silent movies.

*Dorothy Morrison (1919) Obscure.

*Silas Hathaway (1919) Played the Newborn Kid in Charlie Chaplin's The Kid.

*Louise Watson (1919) of Watson family fame.

*Jack C. Edwards (1920) Obscure, but was interviewed bu the Guardian three years ago. Worked with Norman Lloyd.

*Billy Watson (1923) of Watson family fame.

*Kathleen O'Malley (1924), adult character actress with small child roles.

*Donnie Smith (1924) of Our Gang.

*Mildred Kornman (1925) of Our Gang. Looks incredibly good despite her age.

*Garry Watson (1928) of Watson family fame.

Implied in this tweet is the death at some point of Dorothy Morrison:

Hollywood Reporter are looking into it.

Damn. Have her in the Deathrace.

Sally Sweetland Flashback :angry:

51 minutes ago, Book said:

Damn. Have her in the Deathrace.

Sally Sweetland Flashback :angry:

At least Raymond Hewlett will be in effect if she does turn out to be dead with an obit...

Only notable person from that list is Baby Peggy. The rest of them could pass away without anyone noticing.

• Like 1

Edit: Nevermind, seems not to have been confirmed as yet. I'm keeping watch...

Everyone could have edited that wiki-page... Within the last half hour, a date of death has been named, has disappeared and has reappeared.

Maybe someone who has Twitter should ask the great-granddaughter when her great-grandmother has died. Please :)

Unfortunately I do not have a Twitter account.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Book said:

Everyone could have edited that wiki-page... Within the last half hour, a date of death has been named, has disappeared and has reappeared.

Maybe someone who has Twitter should ask the great-granddaughter when her great-grandmother has died. Please :)

Unfortunately I do not have a Twitter account.

It appears she did.310172943_Screenshot_20190106-024524_SamsungInternet2.thumb.jpg.90ede6f4d5e697e3929a9e69c4fcbf00.jpg

• Thanks 1

Silas Hathaway supposedly died in November aged 99 according to this Voy.com thread.

The link to the tweet doesn't work for me (probably because TinyURL set links are time limited and expire after a few weeks). Can anyone find the original tweet?

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Silas Hathaway supposedly died in November aged 99 according to this Voy.com thread.

The link to the tweet doesn't work for me (probably because TinyURL set links are time limited and expire after a few weeks). Can anyone find the original tweet?

I've had a good ferret around and can't find a tweet or anything else for that matter.

The tinyurl quoted was assigned to https://www.oe24.at/sport/euro2008/ko_runde/article320545.ece which comes up as a blank page on this site.

Tinyurl say their links aren't time limited. I reckon it's a hoax.

8 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

I've had a good ferret around and can't find a tweet or anything else for that matter.

The tinyurl quoted was assigned to https://www.oe24.at/sport/euro2008/ko_runde/article320545.ece which comes up as a blank page on this site.

Tinyurl say their links aren't time limited. I reckon it's a hoax.

That URL is from the sports section of an Austrian newspaper, specifically a story from the knockout rounds (ko runde) of the 2008 European Championships. Probably not about the boy Silas, unless he was murdered by Fatih Terim.

I think he died in obscurity decades ago. Is there any chance one of our American members, who has access to the likes of Ancestry, can do a check for us?

13 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

I think he died in obscurity decades ago. Is there any chance one of our American members, who has access to the likes of Ancestry, can do a check for us?

He was still alive as of at least 2016. In failing health then, so possible he could've died under the radar since?

• Like 2

I'm curious now about the infant Silas Hathaway from "The Kid." I know his Palm Springs house sold in March 2019. There's a May 15 2017 death index record with Riverside County Assessor but his wife's name Shirley Hathaway is also listed. His 74 yo son is named Silas Hathaway too, and also lives in Palm Springs. I'll write him and see what the status is.

• Like 2

Not sure how many there are we can be sure of being alive... Diana Serra Cary, the two Watson boys, Mildred Kornman and maybe Don Marion Davis at a push?

12 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Not sure how many there are we can be sure of being alive... Diana Serra Cary, the two Watson boys, Mildred Kornman and maybe Don Marion Davis at a push?

Diana Serra Cary definitely celebrated her 100th birthday last year.  Conversely (see below), Don Marion Davis listed as alive on Wikipedia.  One Google search suggests he died March 2nd, 2012.  Another shows him to be alive as of May 5th, 2017, meaning he made it to 99.

Don Marion Davis google searches:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Don+Marion+Davis

and

https://tucson.com/news/local/tucson-s-centenarians-are-an-optimistic-active-and-growing-group/article_a90f12f0-4c37-5156-b689-a6bd0a78931a.html

The 2012 date of death was proved to be a complete hoax. He was alive as of 2017, that's what is known.

• Like 1

Another Hollywood (but not silent era) 2012 death hoax which Wikipedia corrected concerned nonagenarian former actress Martha Stewart. I asked a friend who lives in the same city, or one city over to learn what he can, but I'll write to the daughter Martha is supposedly living with.

5 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

Another Hollywood (but not silent era) 2012 death hoax which Wikipedia corrected concerned nonagenarian former actress Martha Stewart. I asked a friend who lives in the same city, or one city over to learn what he can, but I'll write to the daughter Martha is supposedly living with.

In 2012, a Telegraph obit for Pola Illery gave a few team points. Only it turned out in 2014, this had been a hoax,and Illery actually died in 1993!

On 22/04/2019 at 11:26, Ulitzer95 said:

Message in the Voy thread has now been removed. 

Just checked Star Tiger autograph community (note researchers - a very handy and up to date source) and it seems he was alive as of July 2019 because a change of address was logged.

9 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Message in the Voy thread has now been removed. 

Just checked Star Tiger autograph community (note researchers - a very handy and up to date source) and it seems he was alive as of July 2019 because a change of address was logged.

Every single obit we post is a change of address

• Haha 1

A pretty significant death.

Although there are still a small number of living child actors from the silent era, Baby Peggy was the last living star of the entire era.

I'd also add that she may have been the last surviving Vaudeville "star". There's an A-Z list of performers on Wiki here.

2 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

(also posted in the 100 Club thread)

Diana Serra Cary, a child actress under the name Baby Peggy, has died.  She was 101.  A DDP pick, too.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/baby-peggy-dead-silent-film-star-was-101-831926

Qualifying obit from The Sun.