Vaagheid

Silent Era People

22 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Anonymous forum post – not at all reliable.

Besides, that was almost 11 years ago now. Odds of him being alive are incredibly slim.

Not sure if anyone interested but the guy who stabbed his brother Jay R. Smith to death died in prison in 2014.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-man-convicted-of-killing-former-little-rascal-dies-2014jul18-story.html

• Like 2

On 30/10/2021 at 17:27, Ulitzer95 said:

A new silent film actor?

This 2018 article says that actress Alma Carroll (b. 1924, wiki) appeared in a 1927 Our Gang silent short.

Her husband's obit from 2018 mentions she's still alive and she appears in 2021 residency records for California.

Hmmm...

Alma is 97, living in Carlsbad, California as Alma F. Giroux

https://radaris.com/~Alma-Giroux/1573399317#

Adriana Sivieri (born 1918) is a Argentine-born Italian retired film actress. Her last credit was in 1956. I think she is dead, because there are no news from her (Wiki)

But here says that she celebrate her 100 birthday with some other famous celebrities, I don't know if it is reliable???? 

I mentioned this actress as she is included in the list of centenarians but in Wikipedia it results in question marks?Adriana_Sivieri.thumb.jpg.351441bf082124222815c3b1e67d9b11.jpg

• Facepalm 3

I wouldn't count her as a silent film actress as Wikipedia and imdb mention that her career started in 1942, after the silent film era and the "transition" era and she has no credits from before that year. Did she actually ever appear in silent films?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gisooo said:

Adriana Sivieri (born 1918) is a Argentine-born Italian retired film actress. Her last credit was in 1956. I think she is dead, because there are no news from her (Wiki)

But here says that she celebrate her 100 birthday with some other famous celebrities, I don't know if it is reliable???? 

I mentioned this actress as she is included in the list of centenarians but in Wikipedia it results in question marks?Adriana_Sivieri.thumb.jpg.351441bf082124222815c3b1e67d9b11.jpg

What exactly are you asking/saying? 

25 minutes ago, arghton said:

I wouldn't count her as a silent film actress as Wikipedia and imdb mention that her career started in 1942, after the silent film era and the "transition" era and she has no credits from before that year. Did she actually ever appear in silent films?

Yes, my mistake. Well I know she is not notable and anything would not appear for her, never. On Google she will stay alive for forever.

1 minute ago, Paul Bearer said:

What exactly are you asking/saying? 

If Adriana is alive or not? Something should update on IMBd or Wiki. Even though I didn't found anything for her???? 

12 minutes ago, whoismakoto said:

Billy Watson of the Watson family dead at 98. This leaves his brother Garry Watson and Mildred Kornman as the last known living actors to appear in silent film era. Maybe Alma Carroll is also alive too.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/statesmanexaminer/name/william-watson-obituary?pid=201491107

That's very sad.

Just two I believe. I contacted the Lord Heath website and they consulted some experts on Our Gang. There is no evidence that Alma Carroll appeared in any silent films, despite what one website claims.

Oh dear. I mean, at 98, one shouldn't be too sad, but Watson was one of the few living links not just to silent films but to some of the legends of 1930's film. The one that comes to my head is Mr Smith Goes to Washington.

• Like 2

Hollywood Reporter obit for Billy Watson.

May lead him to get a QO. Not that it matters so much, as he was wasn't picked in the DDP (neither were Garry Watson or Mildred Kornman) but I'm curious to see if all 3 of them can obit as the last survivors of the silent era.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2021 at 23:27, Ulitzer95 said:

A new silent film actor?

This 2018 article says that actress Alma Carroll (b. 1924, wiki) appeared in a 1927 Our Gang silent short.

Her husband's obit from 2018 mentions she's still alive and she appears in 2021 residency records for California.

Hmmm...

It would appear that Alma Carroll passed away in 2019.

showscan (9).jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, whoismakoto said:

showscan (9).jpeg

Did you just post your…

…naaah, canna be.

On 10/04/2022 at 02:47, whoismakoto said:

It would appear that Alma Carroll passed away in 2019.

Her death became known 3 years ago when she left this world, but we had not noticed

Some photo of her as old lady

• Like 1

On 18/02/2018 at 11:47, GossipGabe said:

Even though it is an early talkie, it's not even a borderline case. Although there are some genuine borderline cases, but even they are swiftly purged from these lists by purists.

One example is the obscure German-Hungarian actress Petra Unkel (imdb) who has no death dates on Wikipedia or imdb, and had a minor role as a 4-year old child in Napoleon at St. Helena according to her imdb page. Still, she didn't make the cut (since imdb is not considered a reliable source on Wikipedia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_surviving_silent_film_actors&type=revision&diff=756213163&oldid=755294316

Petra Unkel confirmed to have died in 2001. The journalist posting researches silent era actors and provides a list of those he believes alive here.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Petra Unkel confirmed to have died in 2001. The journalist posting researches silent era actors and provides a list of those he believes alive here.

The names mentioned:

1. Donnie "Beezer" Smith, 97 (Sept. 17, 1924)

2. Mildred Kornman, 97 (July 10, 1925)

3. Gary Watson, 93 (Sept. 27, 1928)

The bottom two are well known, first has been debated.

• Like 1

The first is most likely deceased. I really do think we're just down to two names now.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The first is most likely deceased.

I dunno, I wouldn't rule it out that he's alive. Unlike a lot of completely off-the-radar child actors, he's pretty easy to find in public records, and even the most up-to-date ones give no indication that he's dead. I would say, at the very least, he was probably still with us ~2 years ago. Not quite in implausible territory yet.

• Like 2

I recall Kornman was reported to be in failing health last year, unable to remember that she was once an actress. Watson is a "recluse" from all I've heard, no idea how he's doing. 

How many debatable/possibly living ones are there again? None else than Beezer? I dug into transition era, mainly Japanese transition era silent films ca. 1930-1936 around last year, checking again there's a few names out there: Hideo Sugawara (Appeared in a few Yasujirō Ozu, movies, born January 1924 https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0837424/) (turns out he died in 2005) and Masao Hayama (also a Ozu actor, born August 1925 https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0370574/) (Not seen since 1961! there's a massive chance he died a long, long time ago and Japan hasn't been good at keeping track of these people. Likely going to end up like Katsumi Tezuka, meaning we'll know for certain he's dead when his name isn't in Japan's supercentenarian statistics) and there's also Finnish politician Ele Alenius I've mentioned a few times in political frailty before here who appeared? (not sure if there is concrete proof about this, but I assume it was him) in 1931 silent film Rovastin häämatkat. The two Ozu actors could be long dead. And I know, I'm again scraping the bottom of the barrel.  Alenius ended up dying soon after my post.

• Like 2

Nooo so sad, RIP Mildred, such a great star! :(