Vaagheid

People Who Are Dead According To Wikipedia...

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 22:54, Ulitzer95 said:

Phil Phillips, 89, American singer-songwriter, best known for his 1959 U.S. hit “Sea of Love” has died according to an edit, and on his birthday too! 

Sadly his version of the song was never a hit here in the UK but Marty Wilde had a No. 3 UK hit with his own cover later that same year.

This is apparently good enough for Wiki for Phil Phillips: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/lake-charles-la/philip-baptiste-9085044

• Thanks 1

Volodymyr Korolyuk, Ukrainian mathematician, dead at 94.

Albert Almoznino, Israeli legendary hand shadow artist, dead at 97.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

Oh come the fuck on.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Italian actor Armando Francioli dead at 100.

Very likely a hoax. Nothing has been known about him since 2003. The IP editor (on Italian wiki) summary of edits suggests he was a troll. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drol said:

Very likely a hoax. Nothing has been known about him since 2003. The IP editor (on Italian wiki) summary of edits suggests he was a troll. 

There are photos of him from the early 2000s and he made quite a few acting appearances. I wonder if he could have really died in obscurity?

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

There are photos of him from the early 2000s and he made quite a few acting appearances. I wonder if he could have really died in obscurity?

I think he is dead. Some years ago I asked the guy who took that 2000 photo of him and the last time he heard something about him was in 2003.

23 minutes ago, drol said:

I think he is dead. Some years ago I asked the guy who took that 2000 photo of him and the last time he heard something about him was in 2003.

Looked his name up in Ancestry. Nothing – not that Ancestry has many good mainland European records anyway, but the fact that absolutely zilch comes up suggested to me it could be a stage name(?)

Anyway, a little bit of digging on Google Books returns a book result from 1957:

"FRANCIOLO Armando, attore, n. a Roma il 21 ottobre 1919 da Riccardo e da Domenica Oliveiri, Roma, viale 4 venti 126."

So DOB seems to be correct, and there are the parents names not found on IMDb or either English or Italian Wiki. Is Oliveiri his real surname or the mother's maiden name?

This is the extent of my research skills. If anyone here knows a site that holds the Italian birth/death records they may be able to locate him.

I'm still surprised that he's faded to obscurity and potentially died off radar. He seems to have been quite a big actor in Italy in his day.

Scrap the digging.

Here's a report on his 100th birthday from the TV2000 Facebook page.

Facebook also reveals posts about his death this morning, quite a few of them from people who seem to know a thing or two about Italian cinema. We wait...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Italian actor Armando Francioli dead at 100.

His page was vandalized before, but this time it is true. And the obituary comes from the only source it comes from and which I had the intention to contact about it, Dagospia, an Italian version of TMZ who mainly stalks retired actors only in Rome (a description Francioli perfectly fitted). Great find. 

• Thanks 2

John Horton Conway, British mathematician, dead at 82.

Yes, I know Conway is a big name. He is the inventor of Conway's Game of Life and a disciple of Richard K. Guy who outclassed his master. Conway is one of the most important mathematicians of the last century and surely one of the most popular.

I write this because this edits are not vandalism. They come from registered user with maths background, it's not bullshit. Look for an obit.

17 minutes ago, drol said:

John Horton Conway, British mathematician, dead at 82.

Yes, I know Conway is a big name. He is the inventor of Conway's Game of Life and a disciple of Richard K. Guy who outclassed his master. Conway is one of the most important mathematicians of the last century and surely one of the most popular.

I write this because this edits are not vandalism. They come from registered user with maths background, it's not bullshit. Look for an obit.

Aah, sad. On my longlist for a while. Quite a character, or at least that's what his wardrobe said.

On 07/04/2020 at 19:51, drol said:

Maybe the best you're going to get... Facebook obit courtesy of an Israeli ageing charity.

In the current climate he'll be lucky if he gets a proper write up. Doomed to be alive on Wikipedia forever? Perhaps.

This is Wiki need to relax their guidelines on social media. If the account reporting the news is an organisation or verified notable figure, it should be considered reliable.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Maybe the best you're going to get... Facebook obit courtesy of an Israeli ageing charity.

In the current climate he'll be lucky if he gets a proper write up. Doomed to be alive on Wikipedia forever? Perhaps.

This is Wiki need to relax their guidelines on social media. If the account reporting the news is an organisation or verified notable figure, it should be considered reliable.

Israel is not that large of a country - surely he should get something in it's press.

British archaeologist Aubrey Burl dead at 94.

Championed the idea that the bluestones at Stonehenge had been deposited nearby by a glacier and merely exploited by its builders.

Very popular in his field, with dozens of tributes Facebook and Twitter already.

Expect him to obit.

Ernest Courant, prominent American physicist supposedly dead less than a month after celebrating his 100th birthday.

Interesting background – his father was the prominent German mathematician, Richard Courant. Their family were labelled as Jews by the Nazis purely for their association with Jewish people so they fled to England. After a stint in Cambridge, they then moved permanently to NYC.

Can't see anything on Twitter. My FB is playing up today, anyone able to have a dig for posts?

• Like 1