Vaagheid

People Who Are Dead According To Wikipedia...

On 13/08/2020 at 17:18, Ulitzer95 said:

Marvin Creamer, academic and sailor, supposedly dead at 104.

Edit says he died yesterday (12th). His last post on Facebook (yes, a 104 year old using FB!) was on 2nd.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.economist.com/obituary/2020/08/29/marvin-creamer-died-on-august-12th

Obituary. Took a while.

Celebrated Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) veteran David Evans supposedly died today aged 95.

Veteran of WWII, the Berlin Airlift and served as Chief of the Air Staff (1982–1985).

David Press Club.jpg

• Like 1

Grand Ayatollah Yousef Saanei, called "Iran's most liberal Grand Ayatollah" has died according to wikipedia at age 82.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yousef_Saanei

Here's an article about him from 2015

https://qz.com/569314/talking-politics-diabetes-and-socks-with-irans-most-liberal-grand-ayatollah/

Seems to have been a great person. He thought that women could some day be Grand Ayatollahs too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arghton said:

Grand Ayatollah Yousef Saanei, called "Iran's most liberal Grand Ayatollah" has died according to wikipedia at age 82.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yousef_Saanei

Here's an article about him from 2015

https://qz.com/569314/talking-politics-diabetes-and-socks-with-irans-most-liberal-grand-ayatollah/

Seems to have been a great person. He thought that women could some day be Grand Ayatollahs too.

Wrong thread. This is for people whose wiki pages are edited to show they died, but no other confirmation can be found online. 

On 13/08/2020 at 13:31, Ulitzer95 said:

Albert Somit, academic, supposedly dead at 100.

Finally, confirmation.

Only took a month and a half.

Still waiting on confirmation for actresses Nancy Saunders and Kay Hawtrey. :(

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 09:42, Ulitzer95 said:

Helen Yate, British Olympic swimmer supposedly dead at 99. The edit has been reverted but Canadian Paul has scrubbed her off his personal list which tends to confirm it’s true.

She was the oldest female British Olympian (and the 2nd oldest overall after Jasper Blackall, who just turned 100).

Apparently the thread here indicates that Jasper Blackall is dead, and by the looks of it, before Helen Yate died:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Apparently the thread here indicates that Jasper Blackall is dead, and by the looks of it, before Helen Yate died:

Interesting! I'm sure @Canadian Paul will be on this like a hot potato so we should get confirmation soon.

Was certainly alive in 2015. If he died in Portugal it would explain why it was off radar.

I think this means that diver Edna Child (wiki) who turns 98 in a few weeks is the oldest living British Olympic competitor.

• Like 1

Could somebody with access to The Times please do me a huge favour and cut + paste this article into a post?

I refuse to pay Mr. Murdoch a monthly subscription just so I can access a one off article every 6 months or so. :rolleyes:

On 18/09/2020 at 12:50, Ulitzer95 said:

Interesting! I'm sure @Canadian Paul will be on this like a hot potato so we should get confirmation soon.

Was certainly alive in 2015. If he died in Portugal it would explain why it was off radar.

I think this means that diver Edna Child (wiki) who turns 98 in a few weeks is the oldest living British Olympic competitor.

The times article mentions how the last of the 1948 swimming team bar Helen Yate died a little while ago- Could Edna have been that person even through she was a diver?

41 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The times article mentions how the last of the 1948 swimming team bar Helen Yate died a little while ago- Could Edna have been that person even through she was a diver?

I have absolutely no idea. Not my area. I wouldn’t have thought so though. Don’t swimmers and divers have very different training routines?

16 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I have absolutely no idea. Not my area. I wouldn’t have thought so though. Don’t swimmers and divers have very different training routines?

They do now but in 1948 who knows,

• Like 1

On 18/09/2020 at 12:32, YoungWillz said:

Confirmation from Olympedia.

They haven't got a date but have at least narrowed it down to occurring between 2018 and 2020.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Don't Fear The Reaper said:

Apparently Jimmy Winston, a early member of the Small Faces died on the 25th. Can't find any sources though.

Here you go. And the next cunt that mentions Jimmy Winston's death will be impaled on DL public square.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, drol said:

Here you go. And the next cunt that mentions Jimmy Winston's death will be impaled on DL public square.

I think Jimmy Winston is dead by the way...

6 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I think Jimmy Winston is dead by the way...

No, you're probably thinking of Peter Falk.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drol said:

I only knew him because he was in a Doctor Who story and I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who.I had no idea he was in a pop band as well ! The 1960s are a bit before my time ! :lol:

13 minutes ago, arghton said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Orlov

Yuri Orlov, Soviet dissident, founder of the Moscow Helsinki group and human rights activist dead at 96 according to wikipedia. Couldn't find the news about his death on any other big site.

Wrong thread, again.

This is really only meant for persons whose pages have been edited to say they have died when there are no other sources to back it up.

Yuri Orlov's death on Wikipedia is sourced. English report here. And if you copy and paste his Russian name into Google, it returns dozens of news sources about his death.

When there's a report, regardless of whether it's from a big newspaper like the Guardian or the Telegraph or a small independent site, then it goes in the corresponding thread according to their notability. We have a scientist thread and an activist one. And if you can't choose where to post it because the person concerned covers various fields, then there's the general Deaths in 2020 thread.

• Like 1

Two from my longlist of 95+ people:

*Victor Zalgaller (wiki), Russian–Israeli mathematician, dead two months shy of his 100th.

*Robert Adair (wiki), American physicist, dead at 96.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

*Victor Zalgaller (wiki), Russian–Israeli mathematician, dead two months shy of his 100th.

I just searched for Adair, found nothing.  He wrote The Physics of Baseball so a seemingly lock for a NYT obit, doubt it would travel the Pond.  Maybe FB has something...

Edit see attached.  It’s confirmation but not an obit.

EBC67089-3EAC-4A2D-A6DC-6CB27C9FC91F.png

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Obit (in Russian) for Zalgaller.