Vaagheid

People Who Are Dead According To Wikipedia...

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

So is Boris Pahor the only one standing from 1913 ?

Indian writer G. Venkatasubbiah (wiki) and American Pulitzer Prize-winning journo Vance Trimble (wiki) are still alive.

That's it though I believe. The three 1913 amigos. I tend to agree with @drol, Venkatasubbiah will probably be the last. Though Pahor is still a media staple...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Indian writer G. Venkatasubbiah (wiki) and American Pulitzer Prize-winning journo Vance Trimble (wiki) are still alive.

That's it though I believe. The three 1913 amigos. I tend to agree with @drol, Venkatasubbiah will probably be the last. Though Pahor is still a media staple...

There was 5 of them a week ago too!

Pahor had a BBC doc for Christmas 2019. It was very grim (he's a Holocaust survivor, so done bloody well to get to the age he has) but yeah, he'll get a BBC obit when he goes.

If you ignore the probably fraudulent Fauja Singh, I think there's 3 left from 1911 too (Ash, Simonot, Marchand)?

Almost sure Trimble will go first. Pahor was still releasing interviews this January, so he is relatively well. Venkatasubbiah will be the last one standing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, msc said:

There was 5 of them a week ago too!

Pahor had a BBC doc for Christmas 2019. It was very grim (he's a Holocaust survivor, so done bloody well to get to the age he has) but yeah, he'll get a BBC obit when he goes.

If you ignore the probably fraudulent Fauja Singh, I think there's 3 left from 1911 too (Ash, Simonot, Marchand)?

Yes, 1911 a little stronger. Fauja (though yes, he's an annoying one. I don't like fraudulent cases), the other three you already mentioned and there's also former Costan Rican First Lady Marita Camacho Quiros (who doesn't have a Wiki page to my knowledge which is why you may have missed her. @arghton mentioned her earlier as she turns 110 tomorrow.

1912 – there's 4 to my knowledge. Jessie Lichauco, Dagny Carlsson, Louise Horne and Draja Mickaharic. Mickaharic had a Wiki page a few years back then it was deleted for lack of sources. I had strong doubts that he was still alive then I checked Facebook last month where there are other spiritual/psychic authors claiming that he's still alive and they reference his upcoming 109th birthday in April. I have wondered if they actually know that or if he's just died off radar and they assume he's alive. I have one of his books in my house (and no I don't practice witchcraft or magic, but I do find the history and context of it fascinating!).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes, 1911 a little stronger. Fauja (though yes, he's an annoying one. I don't like fraudulent cases), the other three you already mentioned and there's also former Costan Rican First Lady Marita Camacho Quiros (who doesn't have a Wiki page to my knowledge which is why you may have missed her. @arghton mentioned her earlier as she turns 110 tomorrow.

1912 – there's 4 to my knowledge. Jessie Lichauco, Dagny Carlsson, Louise Horne and Draja Mickaharic. Mickaharic had a Wiki page a few years back then it was deleted for lack of sources. I had strong doubts that he was still alive then I checked Facebook last month where there are other spiritual/psychic authors claiming that he's still alive and they reference his upcoming 109th birthday in April. I have wondered if they actually know that or if he's just died off radar and they assume he's alive. I have one of his books in my house (and no I don't practice witchcraft or magic, but I do find the history and context of it fascinating!).

Ah I found out about Quiros on this forum and just keep forgetting to add her to my long list. Until now. (Cue her dying tomorrow...)

By 1914 there's still a fair few going (Norman Lloyd, Muazzes Cig to name just two). But just looking at the long list now, its quite noticeable the big drop off from 1919-20 to 1917-18, and then to 1916 and earlier... And the oldest DL worthy name - ignoring the Beverly Cleary debate - is probably Lovelock.

And apparently Marie Clarke (US trade union leader) died in January 2020 and I never noticed because some of the centenarians noted down are really obscure! 

• Like 2

On 07/03/2021 at 00:10, ajlposh said:

Wiki is stating that comedian Marty Brill died in January 21.

It was taken off of Wiki for a while but Aveleyman and IMDb are now going with it.

It's almost certainly true. If you click the "geolocate" on the IP who made the original edit, it shows they're based in Antioch, California. If you go to Clustrmaps and looking up "Martin Brill" then there's about a dozen results, one of them being an 88 year old man who lives in Antioch, California.

:sherlock:

Brill was another from the Mary Taylor Moore Show cast then, and also the Ed Sullivan Show. Off radar. Hollywood Reporter, where are ya?

Prominent physicist Ezra Ted Newman (wiki) reportedly dead at 91. 

• Like 1

On my long list, god knows why.

Native American photographer and author Lee Marmon (wiki) supposedly died today aged 95.

• Like 1

Wiki page for 50s R&B singer Faye Adams mentions she might have died on November 2, 2016, citing R&B historian Marv Goldberg. A respected source but he doesn't speak of it with certainty:

I found a single source saying that Fannie Jones, born May 22, 1923, had passed away on November 2, 2016 (at age 93). As is far too common, I couldn't find an obituary.

Can anything more conclusive be found?

3 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Wiki page for 50s R&B singer Faye Adams mentions she might have died on November 2, 2016, citing R&B historian Marv Goldberg. A respected source but he doesn't speak of it with certainty:

Can anything more conclusive be found?

Can't find anything more either. 

I reckon the DOB on Wiki (22 May 1923) is wrong. There is a woman of a matching name born 22 May 1923 in New Jersey on the records, but she died in 1951.

Looks like Adams went under several aliases due to birth/stage/married names and that's why it will be hard to find a conclusive answer.

Betty Boop voice star Margie Hines is a good example of a similar problem. Married co-star Jack Mercer but then divorced and then married a further two times after she had slipped into obscurity. Someone on Wiki finally got the answer quite recently after extensive record searching.

The answer will likely turn up eventually, but you'll maybe have to wait until the 2016 U.S. death records become available on sites like Ancestry. You're likely talking about ~5 years.

• Thanks 1

Robert Fletcher (wiki), American costume and set designer on stage (3 times Tony Award nominated) and four Star Trek films, supposedly died April 5th aged 98.

His husband, Jack Kauflin, who was a dancer on Broadway, survives him. Not sure of his age but he had credits going as far back as 1944 so worth keeping in mind as an obscure name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Louis Siminovitch (wiki), Canadian molecular biologist who explored the genetic links of cancer, supposedly died April 6th, less than a month shy of turning 101.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Louis Siminovitch (wiki), Canadian molecular biologist who explored the genetic links of cancer, supposedly died April 6th, less than a month shy of turning 101.

Sonovabitch!

11 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Louis Siminovitch death acknowledged by his namesake prize's website.

https://siminovitchprize.com/dr-lou-siminovitch-1920-2021/

• Thanks 1

On 01/04/2021 at 22:07, Ulitzer95 said:

On my long list, god knows why.

Hah, yeah, that happens to me too a lot. 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2021 at 00:06, Ulitzer95 said:

Robert Fletcher (wiki), American costume and set designer on stage (3 times Tony Award nominated) and four Star Trek films, supposedly died April 5th aged 98.

His husband, Jack Kauflin, who was a dancer on Broadway, survives him. Not sure of his age but he had credits going as far back as 1944 so worth keeping in mind as an obscure name.

Some obits finally arriving as confirmation. The Wrap and Deadline.

Was the oldest living person to have worked on the production crew of Star Trek. Not sure who that accolade now falls to now. Norman Lloyd is the oldest living Trekkie actor I believe.

On 07/04/2021 at 00:06, Ulitzer95 said:

Scrap this. Fletcher’s obits state Jack Kauflin predeceased him. Born 1925 according to Ancestry. Must’ve died between 2019 and 2021.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Tigray Liberation Front leader and former Ethiopian Minister of Trade Fetlework Gebregziabher (wiki) is said to have been beheaded on April 13th. There is something on Twitter, but i could find no news articles. Also known as Monjorino, and probably the most powerful woman of Tigray.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2021 at 20:15, drol said:

Almost sure Trimble will go first. Pahor was still releasing interviews this January, so he is relatively well. Venkatasubbiah will be the last one standing. 

BEDF95AE-562F-4ECE-A1CC-83AFF639C8C7.gif

G. Venkatasubbiah dead at 107. 

The Hindu obit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Daredevil said:

Just seen this and you beat me to it!

Looks legit. The IP address of the editor is in Brighton, where Maranne was based.

Can't find anything on FB, Twitter or via Google. @msc anyone your end who could confirm? Hadoke?