Vaagheid

People Who Are Dead According To Wikipedia...

These edits already happened some time ago, but though I'd mention it: English actor Andy Devine, best known for playing Shadrach Dingle in Emmerdale, died on 27th January according to an editor (claiming to be a family member of his) on Wikipedia. Death date was added twice, but was reverted both times as unsourced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grimgrass said:

These edits already happened some time ago, but though I'd mention it: English actor Andy Devine, best known for playing Shadrach Dingle in Emmerdale, died on 27th January according to an editor (claiming to be a family member of his) on Wikipedia. Death date was added twice, but was reverted both times as unsourced.

If this is true, that's a shock. He was a very recognisable face from Emmerdale. I never watched it but I remember him playing Bernard on Queer as Folk!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

If this is true, that's a shock. He was a very recognisable face from Emmerdale. I never watched it but I remember him playing Bernard on Queer as Folk!

Going to suggest if he was a Draconian Guard, not a recognisable face. :lol:

37 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Surely there'd have been something in the papers by now. Quite a recognisible character from Emmerdale 

You'd think but remember how Paula Tilbrook was long dead before it was actually announced.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

You'd think but remember how Paula Tilbrook was long dead before it was actually announced.

Doctor Who crowd are quite persistent about this sort of thing.

It would have been looked into I'm sure, Tobituary Hadoke hasn't said anything. Maybe someone who is on those forums?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

You would think a family member would simply send the news to the press instead. 

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

You would think a family member would simply send the news to the press instead. 

You'd be shocked to learn how many families try and announce the death of somebody notable via Wikipedia and don't do anything else. It's always very awkward pinging them with a message saying "sorry for your loss, but you can't break it here".

• Like 3

Wow - that should be big news. He was one of the show’s most recognisable faces at one point. As a kid, I watched it for him! I hope, if it is true, the family confirm it to the press. R. Dean Taylor’s recent death going hardly noticed was sad. 

• Like 3

Li Guangxi (wiki), probably the most important living Chinese tenor, reportedly dead at 93. 

If true confirmation will follow soon.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, drol said:

Li Guangxi (wiki), probably the most important living Chinese tenor, reportedly dead at 93. 

If true confirmation will follow soon.

Confirmed.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2020 at 14:27, Ulitzer95 said:

M. S. Swaminathan, Indian geneticist died today at 94 according to notes on the most recent edits.

Not him, but his wife Mina Swaminathan, herself a notable educationist, has died at 88. The Swaminathan looks quite rough here:

tn

• Like 3

According to an edit to the Joe and Beth Krush Wiki page, American illustrator Joe Krush died on March 7, 2022, aged 103. Can't find any sources to back this up, though the edit looked legit.

A pick in the Centenarians Deadpool.

• Like 1

Jean Meyer (wiki), French historian, reportedly dead at 97.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2022 at 15:37, Ulitzer95 said:

According to an edit to the Joe and Beth Krush Wiki page, American illustrator Joe Krush died on March 7, 2022, aged 103. Can't find any sources to back this up, though the edit looked legit.

A pick in the Centenarians Deadpool.

Facebook post from a local group confirming Joe Krush's death.

A pity no obit came as his Wiki page needs it!

Barbara Hall MBE (wiki), agony aunt and crossword compiler for decades for The Sunday Times and The Daily Mail, allegedly dead at 99.

QO guaranteed. Not picked in the DDP this year though.

• Like 3

On 21/04/2022 at 12:02, Ulitzer95 said:

Barbara Hall MBE (wiki), agony aunt and crossword compiler for decades for The Sunday Times and The Daily Mail, allegedly dead at 99.

QO guaranteed. Not picked in the DDP this year though.

Obit.

• Like 2

Two days ago, someone edited Tom Baker wiki, saying he died last month on March 17. I think this is a vandalism because he is a famous British actor and star of Doctor Who and couldn't be dead of radar. 

5 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

Two days ago, someone edited Tom Baker wiki, saying he died last month on March 17. I think this is a vandalism because he is a famous British actor and star of Doctor Who and couldn't be dead of radar. 

He's currently doing a remote signing thing for fans via one of the convention organising teams.

I mean, I could always be proven to be wrong in general one day, but Tom Baker isn't just some much loved TV actor. People actually have his phone number, and have meals with him, and chat with him all the time. When he dies, the tidal wave of grief from fans who knew him isn't going to be hidden for a month. Look at how quickly Jon Pertwee's death was world news, and that was before the internet was a major thing. Terrance Dicks kept his ill health private, and died quietly, and the news was everywhere within 4 days. People love Tom. The news will be everywhere on the remorseful day.

• Like 4

David A. Evans (wiki), American chemist, reportedly dead at 81.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jewell, First Lady of Death Row Records, featuring on such as Thug Passion by Tupac and the outro on Bitches Ain't Shit by Dre etc, with her own little selection of tunes, apparently dead. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Jewell, First Lady of Death Row Records, featuring on such as Thug Passion by Tupac and the outro on Bitches Ain't Shit by Dre etc, with her own little selection of tunes, apparently dead. 

Had to chuckle a bit, what with her being originally signed to K-Tel international label (1987-90). That’s like the sale bin at the dollar/pound store. Frankly I was unaware they pretended to be a real label that signed artists, I thought they compiled ‘best of’ albums or ‘hits of 1980’ type shite. K-Tel Int’l ‘products include compilation music albums, the Veg-O-Matic, the Miracle Brush, and the Feather Touch Knife.’

She had to be about the last/only artist on that label.

SC

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Had a U.S. Hot 100 Hit in 1995 with 'Woman to Woman' (#72). Briefly received a modicum of mainstream appeal.  Singer Jewel ('Who Will Save Your Soul', 'You Were Meant For Me', etc.) has told a story of the hardships she experienced starting out as a singer, including once being booked in a venue where the audience thought Jewell would be performing.

On 09/03/2022 at 21:52, Grimgrass said:

Andy Devine's death confirmed: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/4075180

Really surprised he never got a proper obit.

• Shocked 1

According to an unsourced edit in List of living centenarians, Brazilian researcher and veterinarian Milton Thiago De Mello (Wiki) died on May 25, 2022.

No source yet, maybe a mistake