Vaagheid

People Who Are Dead According To Wikipedia...

16 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Vandalism?

Judging from the IP location it's the same British editor who tweaks the living centenarians page fairly frequently. They fell for a hoax about another centenarian this month, so I'm not inclined to believe it.

• Like 3

Lucienne Schmidt-Couttet (wiki), French alpine skier, reportedly dead at 95.

• Like 3

On 05/10/2022 at 11:01, drol said:

Lucienne Schmidt-Couttet (wiki), French alpine skier, reportedly dead at 95.

Obit for Schmidt-Couttet.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2022 at 16:35, Ulitzer95 said:

British computer scientist Kathleen Booth (wiki) supposedly dead just a month after turning 100.

Widow of fellow computer scientist and physicist Andrew Donald Booth (wiki, 1918–2009).

Unknown.jpeg.9991f888714112843b9d68dae8dc1550.jpeg

Kathleen Booth actually dead this time, at 100.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Presenter, Stuart Hall (Wiki), reportedly dead of prostate cancer since August.

A great candidate for the 2023 DL then!

Surprising Hall and Pete Murray (radio DJ) are both still DL strangers at this point.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Presenter, Stuart Hall (Wiki), reportedly dead of prostate cancer since August.

A great candidate for the 2023 DL then!

Surprising Hall and Pete Murray (radio DJ) are both still DL strangers at this point.

It does seem very precise, death place and everything. Does it have any legs I wonder? The other thing - that struck me with Rolf Harris recently - is that there's a good chance they'll not announce the death until long after the actual event and subsequent cremation etc.

• Like 1

Was it ever reported if he moved away from Cheshire (Where he was living before he was arrested) Rolf Harris still lives in the same house he was living in before he was convicted. The wiki edit says he died in Solihull. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

It does seem very precise, death place and everything. Does it have any legs I wonder? The other thing - that struck me with Rolf Harris recently - is that there's a good chance they'll not announce the death until long after the actual event and subsequent cremation etc.

Considering the same user edited Tory politician Chris Patten's page a few days ago to say that he had become a member of a pop group after the remaining members of Girls Aloud "founded the BBC in 2022", I think the chances of it being legit are... hmmm... zero?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Deaths in prison are always subject to review.

The likelihood that someone this famous and infamous died in jail as long ago as August and no-one knows about it on the public record is nil imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

The likelihood that someone this famous and infamous died in jail as long ago as August and no-one knows about it on the public record is nil imo.

It's not even on his Wiki, it's a "simple Wiki" page. 

And iirc Hall has been out of jail since 2015 or 2016?

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Stuart Hall was released from prison in December 2015.  

• Like 2

Just now, msc said:

It's not even on his Wiki, it's a "simple Wiki" page. 

And iirc Hall has been out of jail since 2015 or 2016?

Really?

I'm out of touch with the sex offenders, I rather concentrate too much on Eurovish, pop music, the Beatles and Doctor Who.

Anyway, he's no dead til the Evening Standard say so. Standard, Standard!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Really?

I'm out of touch with the sex offenders, I rather concentrate too much on Eurovish, pop music, the Beatles and Doctor Who.

Anyway, he's no dead til the Evening Standard say so. Standard, Standard!!!

Hall got out in 2015 - for his birthday in fact. 

Harris was in jail for about 2 years tops.

Gary Glitter is still in jail (he went down for actually raping kids though) though he could be up for parole soon.

Freddie Starr told off for being a groper, died.

Dave Lee Travis found guilty of one count of groping someone, career ended as a result.

Fred Talbot released in 2019. 

Ray Teret died last year.

Bill Roache, Paul Gambaccini, Cliff Richard, Neil Fox, all publicly named as suspects but later cleared. (Roache went to court.)

• Like 1

Just now, msc said:

Hall got out in 2015 - for his birthday in fact. 

Harris was in jail for about 2 years tops.

Gary Glitter is still in jail (he went down for actually raping kids though) though he could be up for parole soon.

Freddie Starr told off for being a groper, died.

Dave Lee Travis found guilty of one count of groping someone, career ended as a result.

Fred Talbot released in 2019. 

Ray Teret died last year.

Bill Roache, Paul Gambaccini, Cliff Richard, Neil Fox, all publicly named as suspects but later cleared. (Roache went to court.)

Christ, they'll be going after Jimmy Savile next...:lol:

I'll try and keep my endeavours to those who have contributed positively. Focusing on the Tobins and Sutcliffes etc of this world will only pollute your minds, mateys...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I think with Rolf  Harris is now the press are on to his health it likely will be reported fairly soon after his death - whoever leaked details of his actual condition will likely find out about his death when it happens and leak it to the media.

• Like 2

Ralph Pearson (wiki), American chemist, supposedly died on October 12th, aged 103.

Can't see any obits yet.

So many names left from 1919 on EN Wikipedia. Surely that can't sustain itself for much longer?

• Like 2

HSAB theory is very useful for inorganic chemistry.

By the way, it works but it isn't a theory.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Ralph Pearson (wiki), American chemist, supposedly died on October 12th, aged 103.

Can't see any obits yet.

So many names left from 1919 on EN Wikipedia. Surely that can't sustain itself for much longer?

Ralph Pearson's death confirmed by UC Santa Barbara.

A huge name in chemistry. HSAB is based only on empirical observations, yet it works a ridicolous amount of times. Kornblum rule directly derives from it: if you have a nucleophilic substitution with a bidentate nucleophile (i.e. SCN-) the nucleophile reacting depends on the reaction mechanism; for SN2 reaction the soft nucleophile reacts, for SN1 the hard nucleophile reacts.

This is explained just on the basis a carbocation is a hard acid, so it tends to react with the hard base. Naive, but it works most times.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, drol said:

Ralph Pearson's death confirmed by UC Santa Barbara.

A huge name in chemistry. HSAB is based only on empirical observations, yet it works a ridicolous amount of times. Kornblum rule directly derives from it: if you have a nucleophilic substitution with a bidentate nucleophile (i.e. SCN-) the nucleophile reacting depends on the reaction mechanism; for SN2 reaction the soft nucleophile reacts, for SN1 the hard nucleophile reacts.

This is explained just on the basis a carbocation is a hard acid, so it tends to react with the hard base. Naive, but it works most times.

You have a job involving Chemistry? Curious of your background, I understood what you said exactly. As a fellow Chemistry, along with Biology, nerd I'm a bit taken aback. You've done it sporadically the last few years.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

You have a job involving Chemistry? Curious of your background, I understood what you said exactly. As a fellow Chemistry, along with Biology, nerd I'm a bit taken aback. You've done it sporadically the last few years.

Yes, I'm a chemist.

I've worked on many things so I know a bit of everything. Just a bit...

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, drol said:

Yes, I'm a chemist.

How cool! I was a Chem. major in college before switching things into Biology last minute.

Small world. I hope you've at least done R&D or pharma, made some money!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drol said:

Yes, I'm a chemist.

I am also a chemist

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

7 hours ago, drol said:

Yes, I'm a chemist.

8 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am also a chemist 

I once had a Saturday job in Boots.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

How cool! I was a Chem. major in college before switching things into Biology last minute.

Small world. I hope you've at least done R&D or pharma, made some money!

I've collaborated with Big Pharma, mainly to develop lipid nanocarriers.

• Like 1