maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

Which makes me wonder, capitalism being what it is, will closures and mergers continue untill only one airport remains? regards, Hein

It's not a very profitable business. You'd need to have a couple of flight training schools operating out of there to make it at least worthwhile.

It didn't help when the airport imposed an airport development fee on all passengers and consequently Ryanair buggering off aviateur07.gif

It didn't help when the airport imposed an airport development fee on all passengers and consequently Ryanair buggering off aviateur07.gif

Ideally that's what landing fees are supposed to cover.

Aircraft up to 3 tonnes (inclusive) per 1/2 tonne or part thereof £8.60

Aircraft over 3 tonnes or part thereof £17.20

Aircraft over 40 tonnes Standard Landing Fee for first 40 tonnes and 1/2 rate thereafter

Free landing fee incentive: landing fees will not be charged for aircraft up to and including 3 tonnes MTOW, which are based at Blackpool, City of Derry and Exeter airports. Landing fees will be waived for point to point flights between these airports provided a fuel uplift is made on departure.

Aircraft over 40 tonnes Standard Landing Fee for first 40 tonnes and 1/2 rate thereafter

Free landing fee incentive: landing fees will not be charged for aircraft up to and including 3 tonnes MTOW, which are based at Blackpool, City of Derry and Exeter airports. Landing fees will be waived for point to point flights between these airports provided a fuel uplift is made on departure.

The catchment area is terrible. To the west: water. To the north: bugger all until Lancaster. To the south: let's use Liverpool. To the east: let's use Manchester and the scores of destinations they have. I think Blackpool had about half a dozen destinations.

Re the Airport Development Fee, to quote from the airport website (my italics):

Blackpool Airport operates an Airport Development Fee (ADF) to supplement its investment programme and secure its future as the regional airport for Lancashire and the Lake District.

As there isn't going to be a future, at least as an airport, would all those who've paid the £10 ADF now be entitled to a refund? Presumably Balfour Beatty will still make a ton of money out of it's eventual sale.

I'm sad to see it go, purely for nostalgic reasons - it was the airport I had my first ever flight from back in the seventies (20 minute pleasure flight in a single-engined deathtrap).

The catchment area is terrible. To the west: water. To the north: bugger all until Lancaster. To the south: let's use Liverpool. To the east: let's use Manchester and the scores of destinations they have. I think Blackpool had about half a dozen destinations.

That's all well and good for the passenger airlines, but for those using small prop aeroplanes it's a bit of a bugger. The vortices created by a small jet can cause a bit of turbulence in the air which can take a couple of minutes before they subside. Taking off behind one of those in a cessna 152 isn't much fun.

Re the Airport Development Fee, to quote from the airport website (my italics):

Blackpool Airport operates an Airport Development Fee (ADF) to supplement its investment programme and secure its future as the regional airport for Lancashire and the Lake District.

As there isn't going to be a future, at least as an airport, would all those who've paid the £10 ADF now be entitled to a refund? Presumably Balfour Beatty will still make a ton of money out of it's eventual sale.

I'm sad to see it go, purely for nostalgic reasons - it was the airport I had my first ever flight from back in the seventies (20 minute pleasure flight in a single-engined deathtrap).

Geraldine Mayall asked for her money back and was basically told to sod off.

That's all well and good for the passenger airlines, but for those using small prop aeroplanes it's a bit of a bugger. The vortices created by a small jet can cause a bit of turbulence in the air which can take a couple of minutes before they subside. Taking off behind one of those in a cessna 152 isn't much fun.

OH YES IT IS! Fly my pretties, fly.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/oct/25/marussia-caterham-miss-f1-us-gp

Marussia (Jules Bianchi's team) joins Caterham on F1's critical list - neither team can afford to ship their cars to the upcoming US Grand Prix and both appear to be heading for the exit door.

F1 will be down to 18 cars on the grid....

Aaaaaaaand Marussia are gone.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/07/marussia-go-out-of-business-f1

Also fellow rear-bringer-uppers, Caterham, aren't far behind....... they are asking their fans (yeah, that huge group of people) to crowdfund them 2 million just so they can make it to the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi...

Bernie's silly circus is now in a bit of trouble, cos plenty of the other teams aren't exactly rolling in it either........

UK parcel delivery service City Link

It was really quick too. They're really dumb, why not announce it in advance and then people can get all weepy about it and make a big deal about buying the last ever "topless" issue.

Oh well long live Sunday Sport. Oh yeah and there's this little thing called the internet that has tons of free boobs on it....

It was really quick too. They're really dumb, why not announce it in advance and then people can get all weepy about it and make a big deal about buying the last ever "topless" issue.

Oh well long live Sunday Sport. Oh yeah and there's this little thing called the internet that has tons of free boobs on it....

It's got some page three boobs, but you'd be obliged to pay for those now.

It's got some page three boobs, but you'd be obliged to pay for those now.

If anyone is missing big tits in the sun newspaper Kelvin Mackenzie still has a column people can check out.

• Like 3

Guest Guest

ift hey're scrapping page 3 won't t hey have to scrap page 4 as well ? :scratchhead:

Gobbled up by the giant stapler... :( Staples is to acquire Office Depot. Whenever I needed labels or protest flyers printed, I would go to Office Depot. Sad loss.

RIP Office Depot

1986-2015

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2015/02/04/staples-to-acquire-office-depot/

Office Depot were acquired by OfficeMax last year, although the article states that it was the other way round. Not sure why they decided to keep trading under the name of OfficeMax and close the Office Depot stores.

Gobbled up by the giant stapler... :( Staples is to acquire Office Depot. Whenever I needed labels or protest flyers printed, I would go to Office Depot. Sad loss.

RIP Office Depot

1986-2015http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2015/02/04/staples-to-acquire-office-depot/

Office Depot were acquired by OfficeMax last year, although the article states that it was the other way round. Not sure why they decided to keep trading under the name of OfficeMax and close the Office Depot stores.

I don't know where you live but we have Office Depots in Kentuckiana.

RIP Office Depot

1986-2015http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2015/02/04/staples-to-acquire-office-depot/

I don't know where you live but we have Office Depots in Kentuckiana.

I'm in Minnesota and all that's left near where I am are OfficeMax stores.

We still have a few large office supply stores, but they're suffering heavy competition from internet mail-to-customer suppliers. I think they'll sink soon.

FWIW, stationers have long disappeared from Dutch high streets. There's one left in Rotterdam. I can't say I shop a lot there, but every now and again I need some particular piece of writing equipment that the normal (wossname, sell tobacco, pencils & pens, note pads, a few books, magazines, lottery tickets and since the post offices have closed they often do some mail and bank services) don't sell.

ETA: News agent!

regards,

Hein

Guest Walmart Sucks!

Radio Shack is on its way out. Macys and J.C. Pennys are having trouble. MacDonalds isn't doing too well either.

Radio Shack is on its way out. Macys and J.C. Pennys are having trouble. MacDonalds isn't doing too well either.

Radio Shack files for bankruptcy protection.

Bought some screwdrivers from them in 1984.

• Like 1