maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

On 9/20/2017 at 18:09, theoldlady said:

Moods of Norway has just announced they are bankrupted. They made clothes for Norwegians that were good for the Norwegian climate/weather. All this Thanks to the crappy Asian imports and the high, NON-competive prices here. Sad indeed for the employees.

Good news for Norwegians. The former owners bought their company back which was in Bankruptsy Sale! (Got themselves for a cheap price AS well.) Stores to re-open soon. Hopefully they learned from their mistakes. 

Macaroni Grill closed 37 restaurants in 2017, but it wasn't enough.

Debt grew and sales fell, while costs for labor and commodities increased,  leaving the Italian dining chain $12 million behind by August.

The situation isn't unique among the U.S. casual restaurant sector, which increasingly shows stress.  Ruby Tuesday, Applebees and Outback all have announced closings.

SC

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Macaroni Grill closed 37 restaurants in 2017, but it wasn't enough.

Debt grew and sales fell, while costs for labor and commodities increased,  leaving the Italian dining chain $12 million behind by August.

The situation isn't unique among the U.S. casual restaurant sector, which increasingly shows stress.  Ruby Tuesday, Applebees and Outback all have announced closings.

SC

Just got back from the US. Applebees has a great special: 2 dinners and 1 appitizer for 20 us dollars. Didn`t realize they were having trouble. It does seem though that with the ethnic shift in America, ethnic restaurants serving Mexican and Asian food seem to be busier than American-style restaurants and fast food joints. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theoldlady said:

Just got back from the US. Applebees has a great special: 2 dinners and 1 appitizer for 20 us dollars. Didn`t realize they were having trouble. It does seem though that with the ethnic shift in America, ethnic restaurants serving Mexican and Asian food seem to be busier than American-style restaurants and fast food joints. 

Applebee's also let's kids eat free on (Tuesdays I believe), and the food is passable, it's a decent place.   From what I see in parking lots of eateries, business is booming.  But that's perhaps the local economies of Lafayette, LA vs other parts of the country.   As far as ethnic foods go, I think you're right on,Old Lady. Given my druthers, I prefer to eat Arabic or Mexican vs a steakhouse.  Sadly, living in Acadiana, there is no Arabic food.  And they're kinda crazy there -- open up another Cajun restaurant and people flock to it lol the same stuff they eat at home smh.  But open a Red Lobster, it goes out of business (It ain't authentic lol).  True.
SC

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Applebee's also let's kids eat free on (Tuesdays I believe), and the food is passable, it's a decent place.   From what I see in parking lots of eateries, business is booming.  But that's perhaps the local economies of Lafayette, LA vs other parts of the country.   As far as ethnic foods go, I think you're right on,Old Lady. Given my druthers, I prefer to eat Arabic or Mexican vs a steakhouse.  Sadly, living in Acadiana, there is no Arabic food.  And they're kinda crazy there -- open up another Cajun restaurant and people flock to it lol the same stuff they eat at home smh.  But open a Red Lobster, it goes out of business (It ain't authentic lol).  True.
SC

In Norway we have lots of Kabob fast food establishments (not exactly Arabic I know) and of course lots of various Asian places: chinese and Thai food seem most Popular. Not many with Norwegian food, mostly regular food that is generic in form.

(We also went to the Outback in the South Coast Plaza for lunch on a week day. Not crowded but the people came. They have a nice lunch special for seniors. Will be Sorry to see them go, but I am only there once a year.....)

39 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Ricicles leave the shelves, infuriating many of the "remember the 70s?" mob on Twitter.

Utterly disgraceful etc, etc.......

On 1/5/2017 at 03:12, Sir Creep said:

In other news, KMart is closing 10 stores including the original one in Garden City, MI, and the Plymouth, MI location where Sir Creep worked for about four months when he was 20 or so. Furthermore, it is part of a 150-store closing that Sears/KMart are doing early 2017!

So much for retail in Murica. I'll have to buy everything at the dollar store.

SirC

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2017/01/04/michigan-kmart-sears-store-closing/96172514/

In yet another blow to retail and traditional big box stores, Sears Holdings announced Thursday it would close one of its Delaware Sears locations as part of a cutback that will close 103 total Kmart and Sears locations by May (2018).   In total, 39 Sears and 64 Kmart stores will close
SC

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

In yet another blow to retail and traditional big box stores, Sears Holdings announced Thursday it would close one of its Delaware Sears locations as part of a cutback that will close 103 total Kmart and Sears locations by May (2018).   In total, 39 Sears and 64 Kmart stores will close
SC

Very sad indeed. Last time I went to Sears when I was in California last October there was only 1 or 2 cash registers openned on Each floor. You have to wait in long lines. When we asked why they don`t open another register, they said they are all broken! Macys as well seems empty every time I am there. Clothes are expensive in Norway and Macys has nice older Lady clothes at great prices. I do not understand why Macys are failing! Sears I do understand. Even their Craftmaster tools are now made in China and are crap. 

59 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

Very sad indeed. Last time I went to Sears when I was in California last October there was only 1 or 2 cash registers openned on Each floor. You have to wait in long lines. When we asked why they don`t open another register, they said they are all broken! Macys as well seems empty every time I am there. Clothes are expensive in Norway and Macys has nice older Lady clothes at great prices. I do not understand why Macys are failing! Sears I do understand. Even their Craftmaster tools are now made in China and are crap. 

We had a Sears Outlet store in Lafayette, LA, but about 4-6 months ago it pulled up stakes.  They had good deals, I just bought a refrigerator from there a year ago.
As for KMart, it was one of my first jobs :) they are not very prevalent in the  South, but it is the main store in New Iberia, LA (home of Tobasco Sauce :)), and that location does well.  Can't imagine what will happen if/when it closes.
SC

Edit: As for only having a couple cash registers open per floor, I can direct your attention to the JCPenney near my home.  Big ass anchor store and if they have 20 active employees on any shift I'd be surprised.

• Thanks 1

I've been telling anyone who'll listen that Debenhams are the next BHS and it seems that their latest figures are lending weight to it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42563593

They are in a similar position - John Lewis have the upper-end of the market and keep abrest of what those consumers want. Debenhams are lost. At Xmas, for example, they were selling Nutella. Not festive Nutella or 'gift' Nutella, just Nutella. Now there are stacks of discounted Nutella, retailing at roughly the same price as a regular supermarket, where normal people would buy their Nutella anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

I've been telling anyone who'll listen that Debenhams are the next BHS and it seems that their latest figures are lending weight to it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42563593

They are in a similar position - John Lewis have the upper-end of the market and keep abrest of what those consumers want. Debenhams are lost. At Xmas, for example, they were selling Nutella. Not festive Nutella or 'gift' Nutella, just Nutella. Now there are stacks of discounted Nutella, retailing at roughly the same price as a regular supermarket, where normal people would buy their Nutella anyway.

#youshall   go bankrupt . I'm surprised debenhams outlived BHS , went in both of them over the last several years and debenhams was much much worse . Dark ,cluttered,expensive,lots of clothes dumped on the floor and not on their rails and shoes scattered about everywhere. BHS was overpriced and i'd never buy out of there but it was at least tidy. Well my local BHS was anyway!

Those in doubt of debenhams demise check the reviews out here. When over 1400 people have reviewed you on average 2.1 out of 10 you know the clocks ticking.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.debenhams.com

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

#youshall   go bankrupt . I'm surprised debenhams outlived BHS , went in both of them over the last several years and debenhams was much much worse . Dark ,cluttered,expensive,lots of clothes dumped on the floor and not on their rails and shoes scattered about everywhere. BHS was overpriced and i'd never buy out of there but it was at least tidy. Well my local BHS was anyway!

Those in doubt of debenhams demise check the reviews out here. When over 1400 people have reviewed you on average 2.1 out of 10 you know the clocks ticking.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.debenhams.com

House of Fraser seem to be in the same mire. Couple of closures last year and more to come by the look of it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42581940

On 1/5/2018 at 18:53, Sir Creep said:

We had a Sears Outlet store in Lafayette, LA, but about 4-6 months ago it pulled up stakes.  They had good deals, I just bought a refrigerator from there a year ago.
As for KMart, it was one of my first jobs :) they are not very prevalent in the  South, but it is the main store in New Iberia, LA (home of Tobasco Sauce :)), and that location does well.  Can't imagine what will happen if/when it closes.
SC

Edit: As for only having a couple cash registers open per floor, I can direct your attention to the JCPenney near my home.  Big ass anchor store and if they have 20 active employees on any shift I'd be surprised.

I hear you about JCPenney. The same goes for the last one I shopped in while in California. They seem to depend on electronic marking of their goods from theft so they feel they can reduce staff since they do not need many to guard against shop-lifters. 

Sears dropped the ball when they did not quickly put their Sears Catalogue on line. They could have stopped part of the expansion of Amazon. 

Hopefully K-mart will not close the New Iberia store - they should only close NON-productive stores - if of course their management is awake and aware. 

• Like 1

If the Edinburgh branch of Debenhams is representative of the company as a whole, it's had the stench of death for some time. If we're ever passing my friend and I make a point of going in to marvel and laugh at their horrendous offerings. Jacques Vert (mother of the bride clothes) and Star by Julian Macdonald (trashy Footballers' Wives-style 'glamour') are two of our favourite lines. The menswear floor is utterly depressing. A basement full of ugly, ill-fitting shirts and jeans for 50-plus men to potter about in on the golf course or at the garden centre, Pringle socks for their uninspired wives to buy at Christmas and hilariously out of place Calvin Klein pants.

House of Fraser is similar, with the added bonus of seemingly trying to eliminate as much natural light from the shop as possible and cram as much merchandise in the smallest amount of floorspace as they can. To make things worse they bought up Jenners, the Scottish equivalent of Harrods, about 15 years ago and have turned it into a clone, so that it doesn't appeal to the former high-end customer base or the middle and lower tiers.

• Like 1

House of Fraser in Plymouth used to be Dingles- the place to go for clothing for weddings and upmarket events parties etc.

Now it’s generic, why bother when Amazon is cheaper and deliver?

I used to buy Linear men’s shirts from there until I found a discounter online and my CK pants at half the price.

As for Debenhams... must be 10 years since I bought anything there. The Plymouth store is a complete mess and not a shop I even consider. Oddly I do miss BHS as they had some good polo shirts at a good price which I used to buy.

Marks & Spencer food sales slide over Christmas

I'm not a fan of M&S but they do have some nice food items. 

However I rarely go into their shops, and as they don't do normal grocery deliveries they don't show food on their website, apart from special orders.

So I can't browse at home and think "Aha, that looks nice, I'll go in and get some."

For instance, last Christmas somebody gave me a M&S rogan josh curry kit which was excellent.  If I'd been able to see what other styles were on offer, I'd have gone in and bought some more.  But I couldn't, and then forgot about it.

If they showed their full range online they might tempt more people in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

Marks & Spencer food sales slide over Christmas

I'm not a fan of M&S but they do have some nice food items. 

However I rarely go into their shops, and as they don't do normal grocery deliveries they don't show food on their website, apart from special orders.

So I can't browse at home and think "Aha, that looks nice, I'll go in and get some."

For instance, last Christmas somebody gave me a M&S rogan josh curry kit which was excellent.  If I'd been able to see what other styles were on offer, I'd have gone in and bought some more.  But I couldn't, and then forgot about it.

If they showed their full range online they might tempt more people in.

At Christmas gran had got in these lovely cheese and potato croquettes, which apparently came from M&S. Nearest one to us in town, and as you say their website is atrocious, so while I was tempted to actually go and check them out, I'm put off for the same reasons above. Also iirc they are fairly expensive by supermarket levels?

Farmfoods is another which doesn't show their food on the website.

• Like 1

Debenhams was generally my go-to store for reasonable quality, reasonably priced work clothes, so being in town yesterday, I popped into the local branch. I was struck by two things:

1 the amount of empty floor space in the menswear department, except for one corner which was crammed full of 'up to 50% off' end-of-lines like a 70's church hall jumble sale

2 the ever-expanding cosmetics department has expanded yet again.

I didn't buy anything.

• Like 1

Walmart announce they are closing 63 Sam's Club stores which will put approximately 10,000 employees out of a job.

7 hours ago, Phantom said:

Walmart announce they are closing 63 Sam's Club stores which will put approximately 10,000 employees out of a job.

1. The link doesn’t appear to work.

2. That’s cuz CostCo is quite literally the best company in the world.  I’m certain people who have both stores in their hood are shifting in droves to CostCo.  We just opened a CostCo in Lafayette, LA a year ago so I’d be interested if the local Sam’s is one of those on the list of 63.

SC

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

1. The link doesn’t appear to work.

2. That’s cuz CostCo is quite literally the best company in the world.  I’m certain people who have both stores in their hood are shifting in droves to CostCo.  We just opened a CostCo in Lafayette, LA a year ago so I’d be interested if the local Sam’s is one of those on the list of 63.

SC

Link works fine for me, not sure what error you're getting. Link was to the report on CNN.

There wasn't a list of the stores that were closing on the initial report.

From what I have heard / read, the affected stores were closed unexpectedly a couple of days ago and were open again the following day.

58 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Link works fine for me, not sure what error you're getting. Link was to the report on CNN.

There wasn't a list of the stores that were closing on the initial report.

From what I have heard / read, the affected stores were closed unexpectedly a couple of days ago and were open again the following day.

Yeah link works fine on my pc, not on phone.
"[Walmart spokesperson] Hitt declined to provide a list of addresses for the 63 Sam's Clubs locations that will be shut down."  WTF??