maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

Just now, Death Impends said:

Domino's is a once-in-a-while guilty pleasure for me but otherwise agreed. Here in NJ there's a load of local pizzerias and those always blow chains out of the water.

Local places here tend to be better too, quality and taste wise, and cheaper than the pizza chain places.

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

Domino's is a once-in-a-while guilty pleasure for me but otherwise agreed. Here in NJ there's a load of local pizzerias and those always blow chains out of the water.

Oh yea mom n pop places are great, and frankly we need to support them or they'll go the way of the dodo and we will have Pizza Hut left.  That's true of all local small businesses.  I know it can cost 10% more but I get what I can when I can.

• Like 2

In my city of Winnipeg, there's really only 1 or 2 local pizza places that have gotten somewhat notoriety. Santa Lucia and Frank's Pizza fyi. All the other pizza most people buy is the shit chains like Pizza Hut.

Also I agree with SC. Mom and Pop places are great and I'm pretty sure Frank's is one. Great stuff.

3 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Domino's have improved on their pizza. They admitted that their pizza tasted like crap. I refuse to buy from Papa John purely because their founder is an arsehole.

• Like 4

There was already little incentive for me to get Papa John's since the closest one is near my fav local pizzeria, the man himself is indeed a twit and only gives less incentive.

I don’t have that many local pizza chains in my area (though there is one Thai and Italian restaurant where their pizza is absolutely to die for), and the ones that are great is out of my family’s budget. Papa Murphy’s is usually the option we choose when we get pizza (and their not that bad imo), but yeah, many of the top chains are really not that good. And yes, I agree with the others on Papa John’s, the owner is a twat, and that’s the one pizza chain my family never eats at because of it.

Domino's puts the pepperoni under the cheese, and all employees should be executed for treason. (At least they used to lol....)
I worked at a fantastic place 'Buddy's Pizza' around the Detroit area, a number of locations.  Word is they are planning on going national or at least regional.  I'm afraid what might happen to QC.   
I make my own pizza from scratch (sans dough, if someone wants to fire a recipe at me that'll work).   I think we've sufficiently hijacked this thread haha.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JQW said:

There's one like that here too - it's been several French restaurants over the past few years with different names, with one relaunch keeping the same name as the previous one. It's now turned into a Chinese restaurant, which will probably keep going as there's no other Chinese restaurant in town. There's three Chinese takeaways, though, all on the same street!

We've a Prezzo here, too. I've not heard through the local grapevine yet as to whether it's closing or staying open, but it's never busy when I pass. I believe it only opened in the first place after a branch in the next town closed due to a serious in the floors above.

That's usually dodgy people phoenixing the company. Run up high debt then close down and reopen as a different business with dodgy leases. 

Took my son to Toys-R-US earlier so he could see if the new Lego Marvel Avengers sets had been released. 

Saw this on the door on the way out.

20180303_155722.jpg

• Like 1

More like a crashing industryAn article about how CDs are going the way of the dodo, as retailers are cutting back some or all of the in-store space for compact discs in the music section.

"The shift further confirms the format's precipitous fall: Since peak plastic in 2001, CD sales have dropped 88%, from 712 million units to 85.4 million in 2017, according to Nielsen Music.

With casual music fans done with discs in favor of streaming services like Spotify, Pandora and Apple Music, Best Buy is ceding the market to online retailers including Amazon and independent stalwarts such as Amoeba Music."

SC

56 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

That's the end of the NME then.

Never forget that it was always shit, it didn't just go shit when you turned 20.

I was never a NME reader, Sounds was the music paper of choice during my youth. Folded in 1991 (no pun intended).

A new look for New Look, as fashion chain closes 60 stores, 980 jobs going.

6 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

That's the end of the NME then.

Never forget that it was always shit, it didn't just go shit when you turned 20.

How are magazines and even more so newspapers still going. 2005 was the last time I bought a newspaper and magazine and I don't know anyone who buys them not at work, family or friends.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

How are magazines and even more so newspapers still going. 2005 was the last time I bought a newspaper and magazine and I don't know anyone who buys them not at work, family or friends.

I don't know anyone who buys The Sun, and yet it had an average of 1.6 million buys a day in 2017! So that's about  £2.5 million a week before advertisers. Short term trends - let alone long - going against print press though. Nice graph on Wiki.

1 minute ago, the_engineer said:

A lot aren't, especially local newspapers, and those that are are a shadow of their former selves, again especially local newspapers. Other than that, some go online exclusively (e.g. The Independent) other relaunch as freesheets (e.g. The Evening Standard) paid for by advertising.

Others deal with declining income by reducing staffing and production costs (e.g. Newsquest, which centralised many operations in Southampton, closing local newsrooms, disposing of staff along the way).

Of course print circulation is declining to a point where it will cease altogether and we will have online access paid for by adverts which take twenty minutes to load or open randomly halfway through a paragraph.

11 minutes ago, time said:

A lot aren't, especially local newspapers, and those that are are a shadow of their former selves, again especially local newspapers. Other than that, some go online exclusively (e.g. The Independent) other relaunch as freesheets (e.g. The Evening Standard) paid for by advertising.

Others deal with declining income by reducing staffing and production costs (e.g. Newsquest, which centralised many operations in Southampton, closing local newsrooms, disposing of staff along the way).

Of course print circulation is declining to a point where it will cease altogether and we will have online access paid for by adverts which take twenty minutes to load or open randomly halfway through a paragraph.

I suppose wankers like you always need something that can be easily disposed of an looks perfectly innocent sat by the bed. That's right isn't time. You and the other wastes of their parents ejaculation making sure they can still get a cumshot in while their partners are away are single-handedly keeping the magazine industry alive...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I suppose wankers like you always need something that can be easily disposed of an looks perfectly innocent sat by the bed. That's right isn't time. You and the other wastes of their parents ejaculation making sure they can still get a cumshot in while their partners are away are single-handedly keeping the magazine industry alive...

Bit late for your Monday rant aren't you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time said:

Bit late for your Monday rant aren't you?

Fuck off. Haven't you got a blow up dolls cock to fellate 

Mebbe, but this is the first time I've had a ringside (oo-er) seat to watch you implode.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, time said:

Mebbe, but this is the first time I've had a ringside (oo-er) seat to watch you implode.

Oh yeah fucking laugh at me like the pathetic little cunt you are who derives pleasure in other peoples fucking misery. Mind giving me your address so I can post some shit through it?

Aaaaaaand he's off again .......   popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Toast said:

Aaaaaaand he's off again .......   popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif

Broadmoor sent your P45 in the post...