maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

33 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

After 16 years and billions of dollars in investments, General Motors has just about folded up operations in Korea.  They avoided bankruptcy thanks to wage concessions, but we know how this story ends.
SC

Didn’t they file for bankruptcy years ago but came back afterwards? 

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Didn’t they file for bankruptcy years ago but came back afterwards? 

They got a bailout from the government.

3 hours ago, Phantom said:

They got a bailout from the government.

They paid it back.  So let’s call it a loan *nudge nudge*

20 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

After 16 years and billions of dollars in investments, General Motors has just about folded up operations in Korea.  They avoided bankruptcy thanks to wage concessions, but we know how this story ends.
SC

Probably cheaper to move where there are cheaper labor costs. Good-bye South Korea. Hello somewhere in Africa... 

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

Their stuff is overpriced

Totally !

Asda (Walmart) and Sainsbury’s in advanced merger talks.

Didnt see that one coming.

Mind you given I shop at Aldi these days...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, philheybrookbay said:

They had Aldi in the Detroit area as of the 2000s, but none in Louisiana sadly.  It's a quality business model pert near fool proof and  'too small to fail' (a twist on GM)

SC

On 4/28/2018 at 13:56, philheybrookbay said:

It won't be allowed by the Competition and Markets Authority surely?  Tesco , asda sainsburys , Morrisons ,lidl and aldi ? Only two/three big supermarkets and a few small chains that will surely be merged into tesco or asda-sainsburys in the coming years. I can see Aldi buying lidl ?   morrisons bought by tesco . really not good for the consumer . If they do merge I hope they keep the sainsburys name as asda is truly a terrible name.

Can’t see ALDI and Lidl merging. Whilst similar they’re very different in terms of style and stock.

My parents started shopping in Lidl about 10 years ago before they got better and bigger. Weirdly I prefer ALDI, it’s the own products and fresh produce at cheap prices which keep me going back. 

• Like 1

In the 90s, Walmart tried to break into Germany and failed miserably. That's when I knew that german retail will conquer the world (finally).

5 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

U.S. telecom giants T-Mobile and Sprint have agreed to a merger.  An analyst with BTIG Research suggests a merger may be necessary if Sprint is to survive.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tmobile-sprint-combine-1.4640724

Interesting cuz dimes to a dollar I'd have said it was T-Mobile on the ropes in this marriage.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Interesting cuz dimes to a dollar I'd have said it was T-Mobile on the ropes in this marriage.

There will be no reception

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Guitar makers Gibson filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy today

On 29/04/2018 at 18:54, philheybrookbay said:

Can’t see ALDI and Lidl merging. Whilst similar they’re very different in terms of style and stock.

My parents started shopping in Lidl about 10 years ago before they got better and bigger. Weirdly I prefer ALDI, it’s the own products and fresh produce at cheap prices which keep me going back. 

I shopped in lidl years ago when I had no money and the food I found terrible. But me and my wife decided to give it go again and the food is good quality in some aspects better than aldi and certain items are better than big name brands. Next time your in lidl look for the white box quiche link below , best I've had out of any supermarket including m&s. Their sondey Jaffa cakes are better than mcvities imo though smaller. 100% agree that aldis fresh produce is great the fruit and veg is the best thing they sell also their chicken isn't too bad either , though asda for me do the best chicken.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=5108

On 29.4.2018 at 19:54, philheybrookbay said:

My parents started shopping in Lidl about 10 years ago before they got better and bigger. 

Did they get bigger because of Lidl?

(sorry)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, the_engineer said:

I shopped in lidl years ago when I had no money and the food I found terrible. But me and my wife decided to give it go again and the food is good quality in some aspects better than aldi and certain items are better than big name brands. Next time your in lidl look for the white box quiche link below , best I've had out of any supermarket including m&s. Their sondey Jaffa cakes are better than mcvities imo though smaller. 100% agree that aldis fresh produce is great the fruit and veg is the best thing they sell also their chicken isn't too bad either , though asda for me do the best chicken.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=5108

Aldi chocolate biscuits better than McVitie's

• Like 1

There are long-running threads on Digital Spy about good and bad buys at Aldi and Lidl respectively.

There seems to be a bit of a theme with Aldi that a given product changes radically, or the quality deteriorates.

• Like 1

On Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 18:18, Phantom said:

Guitar makers Gibson filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy today

2018-05-02 20.41.35.png

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Toast said:

There are long-running threads on Digital Spy about good and bad buys at Aldi and Lidl respectively.

There seems to be a bit of a theme with Aldi that a given product changes radically, or the quality deteriorates.

Yes I think this is the case. They will shop around for the cheapest product and put it in their packaging. The Orange juice is notorious for batch to batch variation. 

Let Sir Creep go on a bit of a limb and call this one before the horse---t hits the proverbial fan.

Churchill Downs’ online betting system (developed and run by TwinSpires.com) was inoperable for at least 16 minutes in the final hour leading up to the Kentucky Derby, frustrating horse racing fans looking to wager on the race.  TwinSpires.com tweeted about the “technical difficulties” at 6:18 pm. The account then said the problem had been resolved at 6:34 pm.

TwinSpires.com can forget about not only their largest client, but just like Arthur Andersen LLC, when a company's reputation is everything, and it's lost.....it's lost.  I expect Chapter 11 within a fortnight.

SC