maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

41 minutes ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

Oddbins calls in the administrators

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47085479

There are a number of plausible 'blame Brexit' scenarios for companies that are struggling, but a high st booze merchant going under certainly isn't one of them

They can blame dry January instead!

Edit: didn't see alt obits guy's post on this company before I posted mine, how did I miss that!  The story just gets weirder as time goes on, though....

QuadrigaCX.  (Who???).

A Canadian cryptocurrency exchange.  Run by a 30 year old chap called Gerald Cotten.  Poor old Gerald suffered from Crohn's disease, and he died in December 2018 in India from complications of that disease whilst opening up an orphanage - so much for karma.  Or does karma know something we don't?

Rumours had surfaced the company may have been in trouble when it was slow to repay investors who wanted to withdraw their currency, prompting speculation that they were using other customer's deposits to repay withdrawals.  Was the money lost, or hacked?  Was it all a giant ponzi scheme?

Luckily Gerald had filed a will a few days before he died, so his widow will inherit some properties, a yacht, a plane, and two pet chihuahuas.  And presumably the laptop on which he conducted all the company's business.

Except (and here's the kicker) the laptop is encrypted, but Mrs Cotten can't get into it.  Gerald clearly followed the advice not to write his passwords down anywhere, and he didn't trust anyone else with them either.  Without the data on the laptop, no-one can access the £140m or so of digital currencies.  Experts brought in to try and hack it have met with 'limited success'.

The fact he died in India where fake death certificates are not unknown, together with the implausibility of one guy with a laptop running a multi million dollar currency exchange more or less by himself, has caused more than one person to express doubt that all is not necessarily as it seems at QuadrixaCX.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47123371

Looks like the Boeing 747 production will reach the end in a few years but today the aircraft made it to 50. Hurrah! 

On Feb 9 1969 the prototype made it's first flight. This particular Boeing is still in one piece.

Boeing_747_rollout_(3).jpg

10 minutes ago, Whitehouse said:

Looks like the Boeing 747 production will reach the end in a few years but today the aircraft made it to 50. Hurrah! 

On Feb 9 1969 the prototype made it's first flight. This particular Boeing is still in one piece.

Boeing_747_rollout_(3).jpg

Boeing aren't going bust; wrong thread.

Payless Shoesource to declare bankruptcy in the next couple of weeks

• Sad 1

American Girl closing their store at Mall of America

Dutch toy store chain Intertoys filed for barkruptcy protection, mostly this means the (toy-)story is over.

They blame online shopping for lower foot traffic (no pun intended) in brick n mortar stores.  Who the fuck buys shoes online?  The old adage about sex before marriage: ‘I don’t buy something unless I try it on first’.  The ONE thing no sane person would buy online is footwear.  It has to fit YOUR foot and only one way to know that.

Meh, my $0.02.

SirC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

They blame online shopping for lower foot traffic (no pun intended) in brick n mortar stores.  Who the fuck buys shoes online?  The old adage about sex before marriage: ‘I don’t buy something unless I try it on first’.  The ONE thing no sane person would buy online is footwear.  It has to fit YOUR foot and only one way to know that.

Meh, my $0.02.

SirC

And bras.

Unless you buy the exact same style you've had before, then it works.

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

And bras.

Unless you buy the exact same style you've had before, then it works.

I was going to say bras but there are things y’all don’t need to know.

SC

• Haha 1

Flybmi into administration

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47267901

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, charon said:

Flybmi into administration

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47267901

They are partly blaming brexit.  https://www.flybmi.com/

Current trading and future prospects have also been seriously affected by the uncertainty created by the Brexit process, which has led to our inability to secure valuable flying contracts in Europe and lack of confidence around bmi’s ability to continue flying between destinations in Europe

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Brexit is the perfect scapegoat for mismanaged businesses going to the wall. The stated raising fuel costs and EU refusing them contracts as the main reason. EU acting like a scorned lover!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Brexit is the perfect scapegoat for mismanaged businesses going to the wall. The stated raising fuel costs and EU refusing them contracts as the main reason. EU acting like a scorned lover!

People aren't buying tickets for after the 29th March because they don't know if the flight will operate. Airlines sell tickets for a flight on the day of the flight to months in advance.  How is it the fault of management if people aren't buying tickets because of the uncertainty?

Of course the EU is acting like a scorned lover; divorces can be acrimonious and it was bound to happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cat O'Falk said:

People aren't buying tickets for after the 29th March because they don't know if the flight will operate. Airlines sell tickets for a flight on the day of the flight to months in advance.  How is it the fault of management if people aren't buying tickets because of the uncertainty?

Of course the EU is acting like a scorned lover; divorces can be acrimonious and it was bound to happen.

So the EU don't care about the consequences of ordinary brits including the remoaners and FBPE cult? Say flybmi staff is full of remain voters (I imagine they're considering the job is connected to Europe). I thought the EU were the great defenders of the british people protecting us from the big bad westmonster? Fact is the EU cares about us as much as the westminster elites do. The only difference is we voted for those in westminster,we didn't for the unelected EU lawmakers. After brexit we'll be in a better position. Instead of getting shafted by two governments we can go back to being shafted by one,and at least we can now elect who shafts us.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

So the EU don't care about the consequences of ordinary brits including the remoaners and FBPE cult? Say flybmi staff is full of remain voters (I imagine they're considering the job is connected to Europe). I thought the EU were the great defenders of the british people protecting us from the big bad westmonster? Fact is the EU cares about us as much as the westminster elites do. The only difference is we voted for those in westminster,we didn't for the unelected EU lawmakers. After brexit we'll be in a better position. Instead of getting shafted by two governments we can go back to being shafted by one,and at least we can now elect who shafts us.

Gawd, not 'the unelected EU lawmakers' chestnut. In the words of my old maths teacher, please show working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stop bickering the pair of you, or I'll get the slipper out.

Note; they said "Brexit uncertainty" not "Brexit".

So they are blaming the lily livered remainers and soft exit cuntos and not Brexit itself.

On 22/03/2018 at 12:46, Death Impends said:

Toys R Us will be disappointing its founder's name if it doesn't come back from the dead at some point.

Looks like he won’t be disappointed as Toys R Us is apparently set to return to the US by the end of 2019.

Mad Magazine to close shop after 67 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Mad Magazine to close shop after 67 years.

Difficult to produce satirical comedy when reality is crazier than anybody could imagine. The world has become Mad Magazine.

• Like 3