maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

Volkswagen is halting production of the last version of its Beetle model this week at its plant in Puebla, Mexico. It's the end of the road for a vehicle that has symbolized many things over a history spanning the eight decades since 1938.

- The U.S. became Volkswagen's most important foreign market, peaking at 563,522 cars in 1968, or 40% of production.

SC

55 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Harland & Wolff in administration. Just announced on BBC news.

Yet not an iceberg in sight.  :lol:

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Yet not an iceberg in sight.  :lol:

But lots of birds killed by the windmills. :shoot:

• Sad 1

It would appear no-one (except the staff) is mourning the closure of all remaining Spudulike shops.

• Sad 1

Marie Claire UK closing print edition after 31 years.  

T I media has nearly closed every magazine they bought now in a group purchase last year.  Only country life left standing with regards to print editions,expect them to be next. 

12 hours ago, the_engineer said:

Marie Claire UK closing print edition after 31 years.  

T I media has nearly closed every magazine they bought now in a group purchase last year.  Only country life left standing with regards to print editions,expect them to be next. 

Then what will people read in the doctor's waiting room?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, time said:

Brexit; The Wilderness Years by T. May.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, time said:

I modify my deathlist.  Not my DDP entry for next year,my personal one :P.  In all seriousness though I have looked at this website while waiting to see a doctor. 

2 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

I'm guessing this includes their shops? 

Usual people moaning on the news about the enormous inconvenience of a free extended holiday 

Re Thomas Cook - I was wondering if we should leave the stranded tourists where they are, refuse to repatriate them and use them as bargaining chips in our Brexit negotiations instead. 

• Haha 3

"Boris Bus" builder Wrightbus of Ballymena has gone tits up with the loss of over 1200 jobs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

"Boris Bus" builder Wrightbus of Ballymena has gone tits up with the loss of over 1200 jobs.

I have actually been on a 'Boris Bus' and, I have to say, they are fucking brilliant.

What a pity it was a cash flow issue.

It needs saving unlike Thomas Cook which can go fuck itself ( its dedicated staff excepted ) and whistle.

John Lewis now involved in trying to lower rents to assure their survival.  Don't wanna get too political but..no deal Brexit/lower pound could be a catastophic quick hit for those high street operations reliant on imported goods.

Oh aye, and way more significant to British culture is the recent announcement that Stavros Flatley will henceforth be an uncle/nephew act because the son is off to a new job.

A.C. Moore, the New Jersey based craft retailer, has announced that it will be closing all 145 stores. The company opened its first store in 1985.
SC

As of Monday morning, thousands of employees with Indianapolis-based Celadon (trucking company) are without a job.

CEO Paul Svindland confirmed the company's filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy at midnight. He went on to say the entire company will shut down all business operations except for the "Taylor Express" subsidiary in Hope Mills, North Carolina.  Svindland went on to say the company will ensure drivers deliver their last loads safely and will then be instructed on where to deliver their equipment.

More than 3,000 drivers are left jobless and stranded across the U.S. because company gas cards have been shut off. More than 500 administrative positions will also be eliminated.

Due to gas cards being inactive, it can cost a driver anywhere from about $400 to $700 to fill up. Depending on the truck, one full tank of gas can last for about 800 to 1,600 miles. That money will have to come out of driver's pockets.

Merry Christmas, drivers. 
Cunts.
SC