maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

"It is with regret that INM have taken the difficult and unforeseen decision to cease publication of the Northern Woman magazine beyond the December 2019 issue.

We would like to say a massive thank you to all of Northern Woman’s loyal advertisers, contributors, and readers for buying the title up to now. Some of you have been getting the magazine since it was founded more than 30 years ago, and others began reading it after it was acquired by Independent News and Media( in 2016 – so thanks to each and every one of you for your support over the years.

There is of course one last edition for you to read – our sparkly December issue, which goes on sale Monday 18th November. Be sure to pick up your copy!

Sir Creep is employing the 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' policy as to how he happened upon this notification

A fantastic 2019 year in review of retail store closings.  It looked USA-centric but I didn’t read the entire list.  
SC

• Like 1

Beales Department Stores warns 22 stores and 1,000 jobs hang in the balance as it continues to look for a buyer and stave off going into administration/bankruptcy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51083396?at_custom2=twitter&at_custom3=Regional+BBC+North+East+and+Cumbria&at_custom4=94DD6CD8-3540-11EA-A8FB-76FEC28169F1&at_campaign=64&at_custom1=link&at_medium=custom7

3 hours ago, Whitehouse said:

Bose about to go deaf to clients as it closes all its 119 stores in the US.

I'm surprised they remained open for as long as they did.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/handmade-burger-co-collapses-administration-17618661

The handmade burger chain has gone into administration. Obviously primarily very distressing for the staff losing their jobs but  as an anecdote I went to their restaurant in Birmingham's bullring in 2014 near the national Express coach depot when there was a near 2 hour gap inbetween changing coaches on my way back from Leicester. Tried a big handmade lentil and spinach burger with chips and it was THEE tastiest burger that has ever passed my lips!Heavenly. Sad to see them go.

• Like 1

So, taxpayer saved Royal Bank of Scotland is to change its name to National Westminster. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51500062

Something about distancing itself from the financial crisis. Listen bitches, until you are back in private hands, that's not happening. And if you want to find what many Scots find a toxic brand, it's fucking WESTMINSTER.

Now I have to consider closing my account and moving elsewhere.

Blibberwimbles.

34 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

So, taxpayer saved Royal Bank of Scotland is to change its name to National Westminster. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51500062

Something about distancing itself from the financial crisis. Listen bitches, until you are back in private hands, that's not happening. And if you want to find what many Scots find a toxic brand, it's fucking WESTMINSTER.

Blibberwimbles.

Snowflake much. 

How old are you?

• Confused 1

Wedding planning company, Noah's closed all offices 4 days ago.

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Snowflake much. 

How old are you?

What the fuck is that?

A prissy snarky put down that doesn't work? People like you are all the same, a personal slight attacking someone when you can't address the issues. That's simply playground name calling. Adults discuss and debate, children name call.

So I'll ask...how old are you? :P

38 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Blibberwimbles.

According to that link it's changing it's name to NatWest Group. Nowhere in that report does it say Westminster. 

Anyway, individual branches aren't going to change their identities, not like when Royal Bank of Scotland got rid of Williams & Glyn's!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, time said:

According to that link it's changing it's name to NatWest Group. Nowhere in that report does it say Westminster. 

Anyway, individual branches aren't going to change their identities, not like when Royal Bank of Scotland got rid of Williams & Glyn's!

Thanks. But we all know what NatWest is short for. ;)

I shall consider what my banking future holds when I see how this plays out. After all, I have a substantial inheritance to consider! (Thanks OldWillz!) :lol:

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

What the fuck is that?

A prissy snarky put down that doesn't work? People like you are all the same, a personal slight attacking someone when you can't address the issues. That's simply playground name calling. Adults discuss and debate, children name call.

So I'll ask...how old are you? :P

NatWest (as everyone calls it, nobody calls it “National Westminster”) is already an existing bank and brand, owned by RBS.

The name RBS is still synonymous with the banking crash of ‘08. If they feel that by now they still can’t shake off a bad reputation then a rebrand is a sensible move.

It’s not an anti-Scottish conspiracy that you and the cybernats of Twitter would like to believe.

Tell me, are you also one of the mad Nats who boycotts Tunnock’s Tea Cakes after they introduced a Union Flag symbol on the packet, and do you think MI5 rigged the 2014 referendum? :facepalm:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I shall consider what my banking future holds when I see how this plays out. After all, I have a substantial inheritance to consider! (Thanks OldWillz!) :lol:

Didn't Lenny Henry have a comedy character named Nat West (or is my memory failing me)?

15 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I actually didn't - age and not really paying attention to a bank I have nowt to do with.

See, Deathlist Forum *is* educational.

• Haha 1

In the interests of pedantry, I should point out that RBS is not a crashing company - it crashed years ago ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

NatWest (as everyone calls it, nobody calls it “National Westminster”) is already an existing bank and brand, owned by RBS.

The name RBS is still synonymous with the banking crash of ‘08. If they feel that by now they still can’t shake off a bad reputation then a rebrand is a sensible move.

It’s not an anti-Scottish conspiracy that you and the cybernats of Twitter would like to believe.

Tell me, are you also one of the mad Nats who boycotts Tunnock’s Tea Cakes after they introduced a Union Flag symbol on the packet, and do you think MI5 rigged the 2014 referendum? :facepalm:

I do find it interesting that a subsidiary name is being taken, not often that happens.

I didn't call it an anti-Scottish conspiracy, nor do any of the last points you make figure in my thinking - Tunnocks was OldWillz's choice of awful marshmallow foodstuff, and I always thought the referendum itself was fair.

All I am saying is there is toxicity associated with the brand for many Scots, and I'll not be alone in taking my business elsewhere, depending on how this goes. Might go with Santander actually. Hardly a die-hard Scottish based company, lol.

9 minutes ago, time said:

In the interests of pedantry, I should point out that RBS is not a crashing company - it crashed years ago ;)

Are you saying we can't draw attention to the ailing nature of pop stars in the Dead Pop Stars thread? ^_^

19 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I do find it interesting that a subsidiary name is being taken, not often that happens.

I didn't call it an anti-Scottish conspiracy, nor do any of the last points you make figure in my thinking - Tunnocks was OldWillz's choice of awful marshmallow foodstuff, and I always thought the referendum itself was fair.

All I am saying is there is toxicity associated with the brand for many Scots, and I'll not be alone in taking my business elsewhere, depending on how this goes. Might go with Santander actually. Hardly a die-hard Scottish based company, lol.

I’m Scottish. I actually wouldn’t mind them changing the name for the very opposite reason - that bank has become so toxically associated with scandal after scandal that it shouldn’t have a name that makes it sounds like it’s a national bank.

I closed my RBS account years ago. I do find it amusing that after everything they’ve been through and done, only now do you consider leaving because they’re changing their name :P 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Are you saying we can't draw attention to the ailing nature of pop stars in the Dead Pop Stars thread? ^_^

Yes :P

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I’m Scottish. I actually wouldn’t mind them changing the name for the very opposite reason - that bank has become so toxically associated with scandal after scandal that it shouldn’t have a name that makes it sounds like it’s a national bank.

I closed my RBS account years ago. I do find it amusing that after everything they’ve been through and done, only now do you consider leaving because they’re changing their name :P 

I'm not averse to a rebranding. See my original post, it's not about keeping the name and waving the Saltire, it's about what they are rebranding it to. Hardly a cybernat position. All these banks abandoned their bases years ago, the Scottish In Name Only banks have been basically run from elsewhere for donkeys.

National Westminster, Lloyds, Barclays, etc etc etc have all had their issues in the past and kept their names (why do you think it been known as NatWest for ages? I've a long memory). It has been a long time coming that RBS needed to change, agreed. Just not to that. Not for me.

Scandals? They've all had them. We put up with it because we have to, sometimes things like this slap you into action.

But we shall see.