maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

13 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I can tell you, as someone who works as a contractor to them, it's more than 10%. I'd say more like 40% at least. 

:whoosh:

Not my business OoO, (or toast) but for the avoidance of bad feeling amongst people I respect I rather think Toasty was referring to the (mis)use of the word 'decimates' than any demeaning of the position you sadly seem to have been put in.  :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Not my business OoO, (or toast) but for the avoidance of bad feeling amongst people I respect I rather think Toasty was referring to the (mis)use of the word 'decimates' than any demeaning of the position you sadly seem to have been put in.  :unsure:

Thank you, yes.  I had hoped that the Princess Bride meme would have made it clear.

princess-bride-meme.jpg.6e996ed45bbe470b7971d6e62f1300c7.jpg

"Decimate" means "to reduce by a tenth".

5 hours ago, Toast said:

Thank you, yes.  I had hoped that the Princess Bride meme would have made it clear.

princess-bride-meme.jpg.6e996ed45bbe470b7971d6e62f1300c7.jpg

"Decimate" means "to reduce by a tenth".

That’s just one meaning, and seldom used that way modernly.  Most people mean ‘destroying a great amount or percentage of something.’

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

That’s just one meaning, and seldom used that way modernly.  Most people mean ‘destroying a great amount or percentage of something.’

ODFOD.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2019 at 10:31, Bentrovato said:

Goodbye Arcadia. US investor sells Topshop shares back to Sir Philip Green   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47882588

And thus, it came to pass as Arcadia officially enters administration.

But Sir Philip still has his millions & his knighthood, so its not all bad news.

1 hour ago, time said:

And thus, it came to pass as Arcadia officially enters administration.

But Sir Philip still has his millions & his knighthood, so its not all bad news.

England's answer to that thieving fucking crook Robert Maxwell. 

To the tune of Olivia Newton John's "Physical"

Debenhams, Debenhams

Say Goodbye to Debenhams

Liquidated Debenhams

Watch your High Street die a death

Said die a death

And your shopping centres too.

On 03/04/2020 at 14:15, The Old Crem said:

Debenhams set to file for administration to protect business amid coronavirus crisis .

Debenhams dead.

Another victim of the Arcadia collapse. Still, Sir Philip Green probably made a nice profit in his own bank account.

The classic "personal profile" social media site like Facebook - it's an inevitable monopoly, in that this kind of platform is better, the more people are on it. Here the market does not work to ensure competition, but monopoly is, indeed the best outcome, for the society as a whole.

This kind of service should be treated like a utility. Sort of socialized, mostly de-monetized.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gcreptile said:

The classic "personal profile" social media site like Facebook - it's an inevitable monopoly, in that this kind of platform is better, the more people are on it. Here the market does not work to ensure competition, but monopoly is, indeed the best outcome, for the society as a whole.

This kind of service should be treated like a utility. Sort of socialized, mostly de-monetized.

Well, yeah - summat of a contradiction in terms but a commercial company hell-bent on de-monetizing social media with a commitment to  not sharing data might clean up atm

• Like 1

Stationery chain Paperchase is on the brink of administration after most of its stores were forced to close over the Christmas period. The firm has filed a notice to appoint administrators, a move that will give it breathing space from its creditors while it works out a rescue plan.   Paperchase on the brink of administration - BBC News

4 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Stationery chain Paperchase is on the brink of administration after most of its stores were forced to close over the Christmas period. The firm has filed a notice to appoint administrators, a move that will give it breathing space from its creditors while it works out a rescue plan.   Paperchase on the brink of administration - BBC News

A shame, that - always been a (spending money in their shops) fan of theirs, as has the missus. Unfortunately their business model is based on numerous small scale physical purchases, which don't work online  - they should have got on the Moonpig bandwagon years ago to stave that off. Another source of humorous but not tacky/smutty cards gone.

Just now, alt obits guy said:

The National Rifle Association has declared bankruptcy, but will incorporate in Texas, moving from New York.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/nra-declares-bankruptcy-plans-to-incorporate-in-texas-1.5268986

Ah, that’s a shame. Anyways, in other more important news...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Life imitating art, if one were inclined to call the Onion 'art'.

7 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

The National Rifle Association has declared bankruptcy, but will incorporate in Texas, moving from New York.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/nra-declares-bankruptcy-plans-to-incorporate-in-texas-1.5268986

Clearly Trump's influence reigns on...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

.....Then Charlton Heston put his vest on....

I think TUI might be one for the biggest collapses of the year, they banking in summer 2021 saving them but it won’t and all the deposits they have held over from 2020 will have to replayed and boom bankruptcy here they go,

• Sad 1