maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

Had no idea Godiva actually had any brick and mortar stores even though it's a brand I had seen in supermarkets all my life.

1 hour ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Had no idea Godiva actually had any brick and mortar stores even though it's a brand I had seen in supermarkets all my life.

I can’t lie - I never recall seeing brick n mortar.  As far as Godiva is concerned though it’s subpar at best.  

End of the Road (and Track)

F1348AE1-1826-486F-93A5-3D76F1A15921.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Whitehouse said:

Wanna buy a brand spanking new Learjet? You need to hurry!

Learjets haven't been Learjets for 30 years; bit like Cadbury's chocolate hasn't been Cadbury's chocolate for 10 years.

On 25/01/2021 at 21:20, Sir Creep said:

I can’t lie - I never recall seeing brick n mortar.  As far as Godiva is concerned though it’s subpar at best.  

They have a couple in and and around Minneapolis. People rave about them, but I find that they have a waxy taste to them

2 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Thorntons making more retail/commercial space available on high streets up and down the country. Thorntons: Chocolate maker to close all shops putting 600 jobs at risk - BBC News

Stagnated as a business in the late 90's / early 2000's and then Hotel Chocolat blew them out of the water on the high street; been on the brink a few times since so I can't say I'm surprised.

Still waiting for the demise of WH Smith, I can't undertsand how they can be so bad yet somehow surrvive. Surely the change in commuting practices post COVID will do for them...?

12 minutes ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

Stagnated as a business in the late 90's / early 2000's and then Hotel Chocolat blew them out of the water on the high street; been on the brink a few times since so I can't say I'm surprised.

Still waiting for the demise of WH Smith, I can't undertsand how they can be so bad yet somehow surrvive. Surely the change in commuting practices post COVID will do for them...?

Smiths appear to be surviving solely due to their linkup with the Post Office I would think. That remains quite busy even when the shop itself is deadly quiet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Smiths appear to be surviving solely due to their linkup with the Post Office I would think. That remains quite busy even when the shop itself is deadly quiet. 

I was bemused but grateful to find a WH Smith open on 3rd January as I had neglected to buy a birthday present so was able to nip in and get a book token (safe choice for person concerned).  But it wasn't one with a Post Office, hence my bemusement.  I couldn't think of any reason why they would be "essential".

9 hours ago, Toast said:

I was bemused but grateful to find a WH Smith open on 3rd January as I had neglected to buy a birthday present so was able to nip in and get a book token (safe choice for person concerned).  But it wasn't one with a Post Office, hence my bemusement.  I couldn't think of any reason why they would be "essential".

It could be stationery but I got all mine from a supermarket or online so not sure. Imo Surely libraries and stationery is essential with some kids in school , studying at home and university studying via screen.

I had to spend a small fortune on stationery during during last two months. We dreaded going on seesaw every morning 'grab your coloured card' what coloured card? Back to the shops again :smoking-smiley:

Michigan Ladder Company - goes out of business after 120 years thanks to COVID and governmental policies.

SC

11 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Michigan Ladder Company

7A70BB03-0717-4867-8457-23B246C3350D.gif.ae45489a0b744df8d697a6d13a4d180b.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Michigan Ladder Company - goes out of business after 120 years thanks to COVID and governmental policies.

SC

WTF are “governmental policies”? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Biden is anti gun and anti ladder!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Believe he means covid restrictions.

2 hours ago, One shot Paddy said:

Biden is anti gun and anti ladder!

He hates deer blinds more than anything

1 hour ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Believe he means covid restrictions.

I meant what the man said in the link.  His American company wasn’t allowed to import supplies or export product, his competition didn’t have said restrictions and have consumed his customer base, so he’s out of business.  

15 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

It's an up and down business anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Phantom said:

It's an up and down business anyway.

They were on the ladder of success for 120 years.

Still a useful political tool for him though. So long as it's not dragging any of his other businesses down he'll keep it afloat sadly

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

News Corp. now values "The Sun" at zero pounds, implying that, after record losses, the paper will never turn a profit again:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-11/murdoch-s-sun-u-k-s-biggest-paper-for-decades-now-worth-zero

Just confirming it's status as a worthless rag, something that the public have known for some time.