maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

5 hours ago, msc said:

Reminds me of What Everyone Wants (notes for Toast - What Every Woman Wants superstores, though they did change their name before I were born!) , which got sold to Philip Green and then shut. Now the old What Everyone Wants store on Argyle St is listed for demolition. Way of the world. Owners of the site "accidentally" let the building deteriorate.

Anyhow, the biggest loss (bar the local small cinemas) was Woolworths. It's surprisingly difficult to get stamps, writing equipment, a few assorted bits and bobs and a low quality Pick n Mix all from the same store these days. Always something missing.

I've never heard of What Everyone Wants or What Every Woman Wants, and I don't know why you mentioned me there.  :scratchhead:

As for a Woolworths-a-like, I find Wilkinsons usually has everything you mention.  Stamps, stationery, DIY goods, electrical bits, batteries, pet supplies, gardening stuff, housewares, toiletries, cleaning stuff, lottery .... oh yes, and Pick'n'Mix.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Toast said:

I've never heard of What Everyone Wants or What Every Woman Wants, and I don't know why you mentioned me there.  :scratchhead:

Tbh, I can't remember either now! Very long day.

Nearest Wilkos is Motherwell, alas.

10 hours ago, msc said:

Thought HMV had shut already.  One in Glasgow I frequented was an empty shop last I passed by.

Of course, FOPP get rid of the independents like Lost in Music, HMV gets rid of FOPP, online sales get rid of HMV. YWillz can add Tower Records somewhere into this mix. I know FOPP rose from the dead...

Reminds me of What Everyone Wants (notes for Toast - What Every Woman Wants superstores, though they did change their name before I were born!) , which got sold to Philip Green and then shut. Now the old What Everyone Wants store on Argyle St is listed for demolition. Way of the world. Owners of the site "accidentally" let the building deteriorate.

Anyhow, the biggest loss (bar the local small cinemas) was Woolworths. It's surprisingly difficult to get stamps, writing equipment, a few assorted bits and bobs and a low quality Pick n Mix all from the same store these days. Always something missing.

Anyhow, I digress.

What Everyone Wants that's a name i forgot. Remember going there with my mum when i were kid.

5 hours ago, Toast said:

As for a Woolworths-a-like, I find Wilkinsons usually has everything you mention.  Stamps, stationery, DIY goods, electrical bits, batteries, pet supplies, gardening stuff, housewares, toiletries, cleaning stuff, lottery .... oh yes, and Pick'n'Mix.

my local wilkinsons closed (like it owed bad people money :lol:) not long ago. Went there to buy paint and it was gone. Even the sign was removed .

That's a shame.  It's still a genuinely family-run company and I've always found their service to be excellent.  Long may they continue.

Grainger games are shuttering all their stores not even a closing down sale. Visited one quite often though mainly to look . Too expensive you can get second hand dvds and games much cheaper on eBay, Amazon or car boots etc.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-28-grainger-games-tells-21-shops-not-to-open-they-are-being-closed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-43588365

This thread has been suspiciously active in the past weeks. Is something big coming?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

This thread has been suspiciously active in the past weeks. Is something big coming?

In all seriousness though I understand what you mean. Its almost like the financial system needs resetting with another world war.

Authoritarian strongmen and big personalities as leaders .check ! Mogg is the PM in waiting make no bones about it.

Businesses in collapse.

The hoarding of plastic ? My personal theory.Something dodgy about this so called war on plastic I fully agree with it but anytime the establishment pushes for something its not because they care about the environment or the people. In a time of minimal resources plastic would be a valuable resource.

The disappearing Cash machines and closures of banks making plans to ditch physical cash . How do you get your cash in your hand without a cash machine or your bank?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/1p-and-2p-coins-coppers-50-notes-phase-out-in-uk-2018-3

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/03/cash-machines-to-disappear-within-a-decade-atm-boss-warns-7129080/

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/31/thousands-free-cash-machines-will-disappear-city-centres-7275001/

The following link is kind of an ad for bitcoin (so ignore that) but all these crypocurrencies are just trial runs. The govts and establishment have their own e currency lined up.

https://www.capitalandconflict.com/investing-in-bitcoin/when-money-is-reborn-the-coming-reset/

http://www.thebigresetblog.com/

TL;DR govt plans to replace physical cash with an e currency during a period of unrest in the near future.

• Like 1

Women's apparel and shoe retailer Nine West Holdings filed for bankruptcy protection Friday as traditional stores struggle to get back on their feet amid declining mall traffic.

The retailer, which also operates the Anne Klein and Gloria Vanderbilt brands and has already closed all of its 71 stores, said it had secured bankruptcy financing to continue operating while it seeks to shed debt.
SC

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Women's apparel and shoe retailer Nine West Holdings filed for bankruptcy protection Friday as traditional stores struggle to get back on their feet amid declining mall traffic.

The retailer, which also operates the Anne Klein and Gloria Vanderbilt brands and has already closed all of its 71 stores, said it had secured bankruptcy financing to continue operating while it seeks to shed debt.
SC

I've tried this.

But Barclaycard, Amex and most particularly Wonga.com, and their representative a certain Harry the Hatchet, seem unwilling to accept that throwing their demands for payment along the hard shoulder of the M25 is "Shedding debt".

I've also filed for bankruptcy protection. All I was told was 'protection money' isn't the same thing.

Fkin companies gobbledegook. Shed debt?

53 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I've tried this.

But Barclaycard, Amex and most particularly Wonga.com, and their representative a certain Harry the Hatchet, seem unwilling to accept that throwing their demands for payment along the hard shoulder of the M25 is "Shedding debt".

I've also filed for bankruptcy protection. All I was told was 'protection money' isn't the same thing.

Actually the next few sentences (of the story) I chopped off went into small detail of what their next steps were, not sure if that'll help, but in the end rich people write laws that benefit the rich, not En Passant or Sir Creep.

On 01/04/2018 at 22:51, the_engineer said:

In all seriousness though I understand what you mean. Its almost like the financial system needs resetting with another world war.

TL;DR govt plans to replace physical cash with an e currency during a period of unrest in the near future.

Big advantage of cash is 'bring on deflation'.

A totally digital currency brings that possibility into play.

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

I've tried this.

Funnily enough I recently bought a new shed, but I've finished paying for it now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Actually the next few sentences (of the story) I chopped off went into small detail of what their next steps were, not sure if that'll help, but in the end rich people write laws that benefit the rich, not En Passant or Sir Creep.

Oh I'm certain of it mate. How does that saying go? Something like "If you owe the bank 25 thousand and can't pay it back, you have a problem. If you owe the bank 25 million and can't pay it back, they have a problem"

• Like 3

New England Confectionary Co., (NECCO) the candymaker behind classic treats like Necco Wafers, Sweethearts and Candy Buttons, will close operations in May if it does not find a buyer, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Necco is the oldest continually operated candy maker in the U.S. Its origins date back to 1847 when Oliver Chase invented the first American candy machine: a lozenge cutter.

Chase’s invention gave birth to the Wafer, which became the company’s signature candy.

Necco product sales spiked by 50 percent after news broke that the candies may disappear forever.

CEO Michael McGee notified the state and the mayor of Revere in March that the company may have to lay off 395 workers — the majority of its workforce — if the company isn’t sold to a new owner.

Candy fans are using the hashtag #SaveNecco on social media to try to save their beloved treats.

Aww this sucks.  Not Toys R Us sucks, but pert near; it's sad to hear.  A few generations of Chase's will be rolling in their graves.
SC 

download.jpg

images.jpg

neccocandybuttons352.png

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

New England Confectionary Co., (NECCO) the candymaker behind classic treats like Necco Wafers, Sweethearts and Candy Buttons, will close operations in May if it does not find a buyer, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Necco is the oldest continually operated candy maker in the U.S. Its origins date back to 1847 when Oliver Chase invented the first American candy machine: a lozenge cutter.

Chase’s invention gave birth to the Wafer, which became the company’s signature candy.

Necco product sales spiked by 50 percent after news broke that the candies may disappear forever.

CEO Michael McGee notified the state and the mayor of Revere in March that the company may have to lay off 395 workers — the majority of its workforce — if the company isn’t sold to a new owner.

Candy fans are using the hashtag #SaveNecco on social media to try to save their beloved treats.

Aww this sucks.  Not Toys R Us sucks, but pert near; it's sad to hear.  A few generations of Chase's will be rolling in their graves.
SC 

download.jpg

neccocandybuttons352.png

OMG! Terrible news. Hope they find a NON-Chinese buyer. (The Candy from China is crap! Please do not buy it.) (Hope PEEPS are still going strong.) 

Guitar Center to file for bankruptcy

House of Fraser looking to enter CVA via KPMG.

Doesnt look good for them now

• Confused 1

Debenham's struggling. They blame the cold weather, although it's more likely having overpriced crap is the reason.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Debenham's struggling. They blame the cold weather, although it's more likely having overpriced crap is the reason.

Replace the word "Physical" with "Debenhams" in Olivia Newton-John's song Physical.

It so works - I'm surprised they never used it in an advert....;)

Oh yeah great, thanks for that. Bad enough ad companies do the ear worm thing to us without respected posters hereabouts adding to it. 

I am definitely not letting you loose on any song I might actually like. :lol:

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2018 at 13:55, Sir Creep said:

SC 

download.jpg

images.jpg

After reports last week that New England Confectionery Co. is near liquidation, a former CEO of Necco said he's willing to buy the nostalgic company … if he gets crowdfunding support.

Al Gulachenski, who was CEO of Necco 2011-2015, said through CandyStore.com – part online candy broker and part news site – he needs a total of $30 million. He plans to raise $5-10 million himself and crowdfund the remaining $20 million from his GoFundMe page.

Necco, famous for its Necco Wafers and Sweethearts candy hearts with slogans, has been manufacturing candy in the Boston area since 1847. Gulachenski claims Necco is the oldest candy company in North America. He says the private equity owners have announced they will close the company by May 6 if they cannot find a buyer.
SC