maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

On 16/10/2018 at 19:11, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

The people that follow them are the same people who buy from the Jacamo clothing range.

And read the sun newspaper. 

https://news.sky.com/story/hamleys-reaches-endgame-under-ownership-of-chinas-cbanner-11530330

Hamleys reaches end game apparently as chinese owners look to sell. That leaves smyths toys as only major toy chain left. Either they will stabilise like HMV did being the last big seller of CDs and music or fold with hamleys and toysrus.

• Sad 1

Debenhams facing biggest financial loss in its history and stores will close. Only a matter of time before it joins BHS.

https://news.sky.com/story/debenhams-to-report-biggest-loss-in-240-year-history-as-stores-face-axe-11534561

On 24/10/2018 at 19:47, the_engineer said:

Debenhams facing biggest financial loss in its history and stores will close. Only a matter of time before it joins BHS.

https://news.sky.com/story/debenhams-to-report-biggest-loss-in-240-year-history-as-stores-face-axe-11534561

The big difference will be that BHS is missed on the High Street. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Debenhams lost the plot. 

Last Christmas they were selling large jars of Nutella. A problem made worse that the same size large jars were much cheaper in every supermarket I went in- leading to barely any of them being sold in Debenhams. 

Nutella and Debenhams. And they lost £462 million...... 

On 03/03/2018 at 17:38, Phantom said:

Took my son to Toys-R-US earlier so he could see if the new Lego Marvel Avengers sets had been released. 

Saw this on the door on the way out.

20180303_155722.jpg

And serve you for years to come they shall!!!!! Except it will be (for the present) as a pop-up kiosk inside of a Kroger grocery.
Still....I'm calling this good news.
SC

On 05/01/2018 at 21:27, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

I've been telling anyone who'll listen that Debenhams are the next BHS and it seems that their latest figures are lending weight to it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42563593

They are in a similar position - John Lewis have the upper-end of the market and keep abrest of what those consumers want. Debenhams are lost. At Xmas, for example, they were selling Nutella. Not festive Nutella or 'gift' Nutella, just Nutella. Now there are stacks of discounted Nutella, retailing at roughly the same price as a regular supermarket, where normal people would buy their Nutella anyway.

*cough cough*

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/14/debenhams-shares-fall-by-21

The shares lost more than 21% – closing at just 5.27p – on reports that some of its suppliers have turned against the company. Twelve months ago the shares were changing hands at 40p and five years ago they were more than 100p.

Two London-based suppliers have cut ties with Debenhams while another has reduced the amount of business it does with the chain, according to fashion trade magazine Drapers.

Their decision was reportedly triggered by a decision made by credit insurers to reduce the protection they provide for suppliers to cover their costs in the event that Debenhams goes bust and is unable to pay them.

Reducing the amount of cover available to Debenhams suppliers indicates that the credit insurers, which have extensive experience of the retail market, believe the chain is at risk.

The move comes just weeks after credit ratings agency Moody’s downgraded its long-term outlook for Debenhams and increased its “probability of default” rating, which assesses how likely it is that the company will be unable to pay some or all of its debts.

“They owed us so much money at any one time, we decided it was too risky,” one supplier told Drapers.

“It’s not worth it. I know other suppliers are nervous about going forward with Debenhams, [and] we were in the same boat. It could be a disaster for them.”

-

Edited by NotTheNagsHeadReading
double-posting

On Friday, November 02, 2018 at 16:47, Sir Creep said:

And serve you for years to come they shall!!!!! Except it will be (for the present) as a pop-up kiosk inside of a Kroger grocery.
Still....I'm calling this good news.
SC

I have a feeling that give it a few more years, people will be hit by a strong sense of nostalgia and crave large toy stores again. 

This is a cut from an article on the BBC website about high street sales and their plummet.  Just read it to yourselves in a Ray Winston voice:  Worried voices of retail are becoming a deafening chorus and the lyrics are simple. November was bad - really bad - and not just on the High Street.

The next crash is coming, and it's not just Brexit. I think next year will steadily get worse.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

The next crash is coming, and it's not just Brexit. I think next year will steadily get worse.

You should begin to stockpile food when well known fast food outlets and supermarkets start shutting. You're seeing alot of clothing shops going under, people can't afford expensive or even regular new clothes now. Charity shops,cheap ebay clothes and primark have eaten into that market heavily. It's when food banks begin to eat into the profits (no pun intended) of fast food outlets and supermarkets that society is on the edge of collapse. 

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

As someone who works in the City Centre, this is the first year ever that our car parks haven’t been full to bursting on every Saturday in the run up to Christmas. In fact our biggest 900 space one hasn’t got close at all. 

As for for late night shopping..... it’s been dead. 

Intrresting that the only shops which appear to be busier are the supermarkets. But then as my Mum said, I can get everything at Sainsbury’s from food to clothing to electrical is it any wonder. They are the new department stores for 21st Century

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/12/2018 at 23:47, the_engineer said:

You should begin to stockpile food when well known fast food outlets and supermarkets start shutting. You're seeing alot of clothing shops going under, people can't afford expensive or even regular new clothes now. Charity shops,cheap ebay clothes and primark have eaten into that market heavily. It's when food banks begin to eat into the profits (no pun intended) of fast food outlets and supermarkets that society is on the edge of collapse. 

MacDonalds will always survive no matter what. 

1 hour ago, The Mad Hatter said:

McDonalds will always survive no matter what. 

Unlike its regular customers.....

1 hour ago, The Mad Hatter said:

MacDonalds will always survive no matter what. 

https://www.nrn.com/corporate-news/mcdonald-s-closes-350-restaurants-worldwide

https://www.rd.com/food/fun/state-most-mcdonalds-are-closing/

It will survive but they won't ever be as big as they once were. Unlike their regular customers.

https://news.sky.com/story/2200-jobs-at-risk-as-hmv-on-brink-of-administration-11593091

HMV have finally given up the ghost, I knew they were in trouble when they started shutting their big stores in scotland, liverpool, london etc.

This will most likely be the final nail in music CD's coffin.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, the_engineer said:

https://news.sky.com/story/2200-jobs-at-risk-as-hmv-on-brink-of-administration-11593091

HMV have finally given up the ghost, I knew they were in trouble when they started shutting their big stores in scotland, liverpool, london etc.

This will most likely be the final nail in music CD's coffin.

To be honest, I was surprised when I read the story - I thought they'd already gone....

• Like 1