maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

Debenhams set to file for administration to protect business amid coronavirus crisis .

Rental company Hertz is about to keel over.

• Shocked 1

All Cath Kitson shops to close.

Never seen the appeal as a fella, but my female colleagues are sad apparently. 

7 minutes ago, philheybrookbay said:

All Cath Kitson shops to close.

Never seen the appeal as a fella, but my female colleagues are sad apparently.

Not me, horrible twee stuff.

• Like 1

Nowhere near closure yet but...

British Airways and now Virgin are quitting Gatwick Airport, a massive site designed for massive amounts of traffic. It's not like they can downsize easily. I could see some major airports teetering on the edge the way major shopping centers have started to do. 

Then again, in the short term - next time Mrs MPFC and myself jet off to Guernsey we'll likely only have to walk as far as Gate One. Happy days! :P

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Nowhere near closure yet but...

British Airways and now Virgin are quitting Gatwick Airport, a massive site designed for massive amounts of traffic. It's not like they can downsize easily. I could see some major airports teetering on the edge the way major shopping centers have started to do. 

Then again, in the short term - next time Mrs MPFC and myself jet off to Guernsey we'll likely only have to walk as far as Gate One. Happy days! :P

Luton or Stanstead are at bigger risk.

If Gatwick goes it be a sign half the uk will never be going abroad again due to cost.

Just now, The Old Crem said:

If Gatwick goes it be a sign half the uk will never be going abroad again due to cost.

Thank fuck for that. I mean, wouldn't want to drive all the way to Weymouth for the ferry to Guernsey!

7 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Airports will re-open at some point. 

7 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Luton and Stansted are the two that I use most. I only ever go to Heathrow if it is long haul.

The first of many offers to get us going back abroad and keeping the airlines and airports going  - https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/may/05/sicily-to-subsidise-post-covid-holidays-as-italy-considers-reopening-to-tourists

Current plans include subsidising visitors’ accommodation costs, offering one night of a three-night trip for free, or two nights of a six-day trip, as well as vouchers for cultural and heritage activities. The plans were detailed in an interview with Sicily’s tourism director, Manlio Messina, on Italian news show Mattino Cinque. There have been reports that the funding may also be used towards paying for up to half of the cost of flights, but this has not yet been confirmed.

Assuming that a) they go through with it and b) I can get out of the UK while it applies, I'm in...

International air travel takes two to tango.  What an illusory effort by the Eye-tallions.  

9 hours ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

The first of many offers to get us going back abroad and keeping the airlines and airports going  - https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/may/05/sicily-to-subsidise-post-covid-holidays-as-italy-considers-reopening-to-tourists

Current plans include subsidising visitors’ accommodation costs, offering one night of a three-night trip for free, or two nights of a six-day trip, as well as vouchers for cultural and heritage activities. The plans were detailed in an interview with Sicily’s tourism director, Manlio Messina, on Italian news show Mattino Cinque. There have been reports that the funding may also be used towards paying for up to half of the cost of flights, but this has not yet been confirmed.

Assuming that a) they go through with it and b) I can get out of the UK while it applies, I'm in...

unnamed.gif

• Like 2

Well, I can't see the post, so why don't you tell us what what that argument is Mr Bot? 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, I can't see the post, so why don't you tell us what what that argument is Mr Bot? 

What are you on about Joey? Talking to thin air again? 

Anyway on topic... Half the economy by the end of this next quarter

4 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

What are you on about Joey? Talking to thin air again? 

Anyway on topic... Half the economy by the end of this next quarter

There was a spammer post that is now hidden. Obviously doesn’t look good out of context...

6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I sadly think it is inevitable that this thread will become especially busy as the year progresses. 

Probally.

The department store JC Penny has filed for bankruptcy. It has been a Mall anchor-store for many years. Very sad indeed! Hopefully they will be able to restructure their debt under the Chapter 11 guidelines and save thousands of jobs. They employ 80,000 people in the USA. 

5 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

The department chair store JC Penny has filed for bankruptcy. It has been a Mall anchor-store for many years. Very sad indeed! Hopefully they will be able to restructure their debt under the Chapter 11 guidelines and save thousands of jobs. 

Luckily I don't need any more chairs or anchors at the moment.

18 minutes ago, Toast said:

Luckily I don't need any more chairs or anchors at the moment.

Anchor Store refers to the main stores that attract shoppers to particular shopping malls. Sears (r.i.p.) and Macy`s being the most Important ones - in the USA anyway. When the anchor stores go - the malls usually fail as well. Very tragic for those in the working classes/ the working poor in the USA.

Yikes! How did the word chair get in there! This darn self-correcting iPad. :P

On 15/05/2020 at 05:13, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I sadly think it is inevitable that this thread will become especially busy as the year progresses. 

What! You MEAN to say some companies might go bust in a global recession. Cheers Nostradumus. 

4 hours ago, theoldlady said:

Anchor Store refers to the main stores that attract shoppers to particular shopping malls. Sears (r.i.p.) and Macy`s being the most Important ones - in the USA anyway. When the anchor stores go - the malls usually fail as well. Very tragic for those in the working classes/ the working poor in the USA.

Yikes! How did the word chair get in there! This darn self-correcting iPad. :P

I did know what you meant. 

1123049444_whooshparrot.gif.f434b0306aa35dbf0fc734a33faf7a58.gif

• Like 1