Sign in to follow this  
Octopus of Odstock

2009 DDP

'List of the Banned' which could be updated on a rolling basis throughout the year, as and when local sob stories emerge. Any name that appears in this list would then be ineligible for selection, and if anyone goes ahead and picks them regardless, then they can either be refused entry, or (less draconian) they have automatically forfeited one member of their team, and must do with 19

Good idea, though I would say that when it's down to someone else to keep the list of the banned alive.

Re the fame bit, there is also an issue where a famous for famous/famous for being ill candidate then goes on to achieve other things on the back of said fame. So - for example - Harry Patch is now a best-selling author, there are obit worthy candidates - like Edwin Morgan - who don't have book sales to rival 'The Last Fighting Tommy,' he might have come by the book deal by default, but it's still an achievement and - arguably - qualifies him to avoid any famous for being famous deductions.

I think that WW1 veterans and the World's oldest are a difficult group to place.

Personally, I would ban them because they are only famous due to their advanced age. For example, Patch didn't do anything extraordinary during WW1 - he did what was common for men of his generation to do. The only thing that makes him special is that most men of his generation are dead (and his book complicates things further). On the other hand, some could be seen as celebrities - Patch and Allingham especially so.

To be honest, I'd be content if the famous for being ill rule only went as far as the likes of Joanne Evans, Tara Jones, Josie Grove, the drug trial men, etc, likes.

I like the idea of a kind of 'blacklist' of names. But again, how do you regulate it?

PS. If you want an obit for her, instead of emailing the media about poor Joanne, you should email them enraged at the sick bastards who put her on deadpools. It might just be more newsworthy. :P

Gah!, of course ;)

It just goes to show that even when you think you've been here a while and learned a few tricks, the experts are still miles ahead :o

The one problem with the above is that the story becomes more newsworthy when Mr or Mrs ***** of ***** ***** is prepared to say s/he is outraged. In other words, tell them who you are and where you live and they can sell it more easily. Of course, if that leads OoO or anyone else to identify you as the same person with the deadpool team they might feel themselves within their rights to cry foul.

Your mum's mum is always a good bet, different name, old enough to be able to say; 'I didn't survive rationing and bring my kids up to live in a world that sees a dead housewife as sport,' or summat.

I might try and make contact with her family - let them know how outraged I was to find "this kind of garbage" online. Perhaps they'll make a fuss of it.

'List of the Banned' which could be updated on a rolling basis throughout the year, as and when local sob stories emerge. Any name that appears in this list would then be ineligible for selection, and if anyone goes ahead and picks them regardless, then they can either be refused entry, or (less draconian) they have automatically forfeited one member of their team, and must do with 19

Good idea, though I would say that when it's down to someone else to keep the list of the banned alive.

Re the fame bit, there is also an issue where a famous for famous/famous for being ill candidate then goes on to achieve other things on the back of said fame. So - for example - Harry Patch is now a best-selling author, there are obit worthy candidates - like Edwin Morgan - who don't have book sales to rival 'The Last Fighting Tommy,' he might have come by the book deal by default, but it's still an achievement and - arguably - qualifies him to avoid any famous for being famous deductions.

I think that WW1 veterans and the World's oldest are a difficult group to place.

Personally, I would ban them because they are only famous due to their advanced age. For example, Patch didn't do anything extraordinary during WW1 - he did what was common for men of his generation to do. The only thing that makes him special is that most men of his generation are dead (and his book complicates things further). On the other hand, some could be seen as celebrities - Patch and Allingham especially so.

To be honest, I'd be content if the famous for being ill rule only went as far as the likes of Joanne Evans, Tara Jones, Josie Grove, the drug trial men, etc, likes.

I like the idea of a kind of 'blacklist' of names. But again, how do you regulate it?

What would be the point of banning the old crocks? There barely worth anything points wise anyway...

I think the team was rejected mainly because he was being rude to the DDP organisers. He was already sulking with them because they did not accept and obit for one of his picks in 2006 (I seem to recall).

It was more to do with the level of rudeness. And Rude Kid thought he was rude...! To be honest, it's more RK's story to tell, but to keep it simple 1) It was late 2) TF had an almighty strop about allowing the AP feed for obits & it was his reaction (completely over-reacting to a trivial matter in such a foul way) to that which saw his entry rejected.

I think the team was rejected mainly because he was being rude to the DDP organisers. He was already sulking with them because they did not accept and obit for one of his picks in 2006 (I seem to recall).

It was more to do with the level of rudeness. And Rude Kid thought he was rude...! To be honest, it's more RK's story to tell, but to keep it simple 1) It was late 2) TF had an almighty strop about allowing the AP feed for obits & it was his reaction (completely over-reacting to a trivial matter in such a foul way) to that which saw his entry rejected.

He always seemed a rather prickly character on the forum to me...

He always seemed a rather prickly character on the forum to me...

Yup, dark, stroppy, obnoxious at times, a bit of a misanthrope.

His views on the DL convention:

I have no desire to be friends and make nice, I give not a flying f*ck about any of yoose.

Much missed.

This story could run and run...

Hopefully into 2010. :pop:

I certainly hope not.

Another clinic has stepped in to help her out.

I do apologise for cluttering up the DDP thread with stories about this woman. Maybe she could have her own thread??

I never asked OoO at the time because he was so frazzled uploading everything, but will I get an unnatural death bonus if she is starved to death?

I never asked OoO at the time because he was so frazzled uploading everything, but will I get an unnatural death bonus if she is starved to death?

Well it kind of is natural - she is in a coma- she can't feed herself-thus she will naturally die... :pop:

Well it kind of is natural - she is in a coma- she can't feed herself-thus she will naturally die... :pop:

Not that I'm that bothered about it, but she'll either die of dehydration/starvation, or, looking at the broader picture, as a direct result of injuries sustained in a car crash.

I'll leave it to OoO to make the decision and take it really badly if it doesn't go my way. B)

Hopefully into 2010. B)

I certainly hope not.

I do apologise for cluttering up the DDP thread with stories about this woman. Maybe she could have her own thread??

You greedy git. You should be thankful for the 56,967 pts you'll get for if she carks it... :pop:

I don't think it would merit unatural causes points because she is being legally obliged to die 'naturally'. No different than when someone is in a coma for a short while and it is decided not to keep them alive for much longer...

However, this case may well be encouraging and this may well have qualified for unnatural causes points had anyone spotted this at the time...

I certainly hope not.

I don't think it would merit unatural causes points because she is being legally obliged to die 'naturally'. No different than when someone is in a coma for a short while and it is decided not to keep them alive for much longer...

Good points, but surely if someone is "legally obliged" to die, then by definition, they will not be dying when Mother Nature might have intended.

She is only in this predicament, by way of unnatural causes - a car crash. Just say she'd been in a vegatitive state for a month after a car crash and then died after her machines were switched off, I'd probably get an unnatural death points bonus. Should it make a difference because she's been brain dead for seventeen years? And can being starved to death on purpose ever be thought of as a "natural death"?

I won't say any more on the subject, as I wouldn't want anyone to think that I really am bothered about the extra points. Heaven forbid! B)

I certainly hope not.

Good points, but surely if someone is "legally obliged" to die, then by definition, they will not be dying when Mother Nature might have intended.

She is only in this predicament, by way of unnatural causes - a car crash. Just say she'd been in a vegatitive state for a month after a car crash and then died after her machines were switched off, I'd probably get an unnatural death points bonus. Should it make a difference because she's been brain dead for seventeen years? And can being starved to death on purpose ever be thought of as a "natural death"?

I won't say anymore on the subject, as I wouldn't want anyone to think that I really am bothered about the extra points. Heaven forbid! B)

Very good point. It is death delayed.

I think there needs to be a more detailed set of rules behind the vaguer ones that are on the entry page. One that would definitively set out who counts as 'famous' or 'notable' and what news sources are required for an obit and what is considered a natural or unnatural death.

All clauses and sub-clauses and stuff. Like the rules for Association Football.

The official rules and regulations of the Derby Deadpool death prediction competition...something like that.

Octopus, over to you....

I certainly hope not.

I won't say anymore on the subject, as I wouldn't want anyone to think that I really am bothered about the extra points. Heaven forbid! B)

Very good point. It is death delayed.

I think there needs to be a more detailed set of rules behind the vaguer ones that are on the entry page. One that would definitively set out who counts as 'famous' or 'notable' and what news sources are required for an obit and what is considered a natural or unnatural death.

The official rules and regulations of the Derby Deadpool death prediction competition...something like that.

Octopus, over to you....

...I think to merit the extra points for unnatural death, it has to be unexpected. For example, had you chosen her before the car accident (were she not just famous for being ill), that would be fine. However, she was chosen because she had previously been involved in a car accident...and because she was in a coma...and because you were expecting the feeding tube to be removed.

She was already in a coma when you chose her, thus removing the feeding tube is as natural a death that you could expect from her.

Octopus, over to you....

About DDT's woman.

No extra points. And that is only because we've already had a precedent, with Choi Yo Sam or whatever his name was - the boxer. I felt that, no matter how he ended up in the coma, he still died of "natural causes". So if I didn't allow it for him, I can't then turn round & award it for Enguluaaulu or whatever she is called.

Extra rules

1) clutter it up

2) considering the incredible stupidity of some DDP players, is it really wise to make things even MORE difficult with sub-clauses?

3) It's all very well me doing all this, but what if I give it up? It might be a lot of headaches for anyone taking over

4) It's a very antiquated system when it comes to entries etc. It may completely bollock up the system

5) I have enough work to do

6) "OoO's whim" works just fine for me... :pop:

TMIB,

If people are picking Bobby Moore, FFS as a pick, do you really think for one minute, they are going to read this & think.. oh, I can pick John Darwin but not Noel Martin but I can pick Bobby Robson but not Linda Uttley etc etc.?

I'm all for a new rule(s) but it really has to be kept as simple as possible, from both the players & organiser's (me or anyone else) point of view & that's why it's a bit difficult to enforce so simply.

Octopus, over to you....

About DDT's woman.

No extra points. And that is only because we've already had a precedent, with Choi Yo Sam or whatever his name was - the boxer. I felt that, no matter how he ended up in the coma, he still died of "natural causes". So if I didn't allow it for him, I can't then turn round & award it for Enguluaaulu or whatever she is called.

Extra rules

1) clutter it up

2) considering the incredible stupidity of some DDP players, is it really wise to make things even MORE difficult with sub-clauses?

3) It's all very well me doing all this, but what if I give it up? It might be a lot of headaches for anyone taking over

4) It's a very antiquated system when it comes to entries etc. It may completely bollock up the system

5) I have enough work to do

6) "OoO's whim" works just fine for me... :pop:

TMIB,

If people are picking Bobby Moore, FFS as a pick, do you really think for one minute, they are going to read this & think.. oh, I can pick John Darwin but not Noel Martin but I can pick Bobby Robson but not Linda Uttley etc etc.?

I'm all for a new rule(s) but it really has to be kept as simple as possible, from both the players & organiser's (me or anyone else) point of view & that's why it's a bit difficult to enforce so simply.

What I mean is that the 'rules' when entering the competition would be the same ones that are on the DDP website, but there would exist a more detailed, definitive rules which is not mandatory reading, but useful for those who query points being allowed/ not allowed. Not everyone HAS to know, but it would be there.

Anyway, I'll shut up about it now...

Current Standings

1. Heaven Knows They're Miserable Now - 41 (4)

2. R.I.P. Up And Start Again - 28 (3)

3. The Newstreet Boys Death Squad - 25 (2)

4. If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course - 24 (3)

4. Carkers Convention 2009 - 24 (2)

6. Force 10 To Hell - 22 (1)

7. Brown Banana's - 21 (4)

8. Grobler's Stiff Ones - 20 (3)

8. Final Curtain - 20 (2)

8. Are You Still Dying, Darling? - 20 (1)

8. Konstabel Els And His Merry Harbingers - 20 (1)

8. Wake Up & Smell The Coffin - 20 (1)

Naturally, being the leader after the first month, Heaven Knows They're Miserable Now is the player of the month!

Just a mention to anyone who goes on the site & sees:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Don't worry - it's not been shut down or anything too serious - when trying to do the upload tonight, one of the anti-virus programs is causing a wobbly with the FTP package which I use to update the site - because that can't load, I can't amend or access the site.

I've tried fiddling with it for a bit now, but it's far too late now & I need to get sleep for work tomorrow, so I've given up tonight & will try & fix it tomorrow & upload the updates tomorrow evening instead. I certainly don't want to leave the site with that message over the weekend, so I hope it'll be okay for 24 hours.

Current Standings

1. Heaven Knows They're Miserable Now - 59 (6)

2. The Living End - 54 (4)

3. Brown Banana's - 37 (5)

4. International House Of Death - 33 (5)

5. If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course - 32 (4)

5. Carkers Convention 2009 - 32 (3)

7. The Last Gasp - 31 (3)

8. Grobler's Stiff Ones - 30 (4)

9. The Terry Fenwick Invitational Select XI 29 (2)

EIGHT teams at #10:

(Deceased Hose, Final Curtain, Master Mind, Meet Your Maker, Now That's What I Call SIGNIFICANT 2009, R.I.P. It Up And Start Again, Are You Still Dying, Darling?, Wake Up And Smell The Coffin) 28

Player of the Month - The Living End (44pts)

Don't wanna be premature or owt but.......below is the line up of teams awaiting the Goody news. A few jokers amongst them and not one in the current top four. If the 27 year old should choose March 13th as the final day, it would pack the peleton somewhat.

Addams Family Christmas Card List 2008

A Kick In The Ghoulies

Alison The Assassin

Are You Still Dying, Darling?

Armchair Morgue

Bananies

Biologically Dead

Brown Bread

Burke'N'Hare

Burn Baby Burn

Busby's Babes

C'mon... Who Doesn't Want Me To Get 20/20

Darling Did You Forget To Take A Breath?

Dave's Bunglalow Of Death

Dead By Dawn

Dead Centre Of England

Dead Enders

Deader Than A Dead Thing

Livin' On A Prayer

Dead Ringers

Dead Dogs Won't Play Fetch

Deathglam Industries

Death Stalks United

Die, Die, Die My Darling

Died In A Nasty Accident

Die Now....Die Now....Show Us You've Pegged

Drop Dead Celebration

Going Green

Graham Reaper's Dead Army

Grim Rita

Guess Who's Dead?

Guild Of Master Reapers

Gwynhafyr

Heart Attack, Liver Failure? Excellent! Loadsa Points

How Clean Is Your Hearse?

How Much For Those Stem Cells?

I Am Jack's Complete Lack Of A Pulse

I Drink Your Milkshake

I'll Pick 'Em Till They Croak

Irish Rover

It Doesn't Hurt It Just Smells

It's Life Jim

It's Worse Than That, He's Dead Jim!

It Tolls For Thee

Jellydead

Jesus Jones

Living In A Box

Madonna's Hand of Bod

Morbid Curiosity

Morbid United FC

My Toes Are Real People

Nice Little Urner

No Noose Is Good Noose

Now That's What I Call SIGNIFICANT 2009

One Bar Gas Fire And A Tin Of Dog Food

Optimus Prime's Rusty Nuts

Over My Dead Body

The Pale Rider

Owt To Stop Me Coffin?

Past Their Sell By Date

Pop The Clog!

Prunella Vulgaris

Rotters

Mike Oxards Showbusiness 20

Six Foot Under

Sometimes They Come Back

Forgotten But Not Gone

Stiff As A Board

Stiff & the Tears

The Beatles Are Dying In The Wrong Order

The Caulkhead Coffin-Kickers

2009 Crematorium Cheerleaders

The Deadest Man In Deadonia

Not Sleeping Just Bloody Dead

Redmega's Megadead Malingerers

The Dorset Jury

The Voodoo Gurus

Toasted Brown Bread

Today's The Day The Maggots Have Their Picnic

Tonight Matthew I'm Going To Be Badly-Torn Boy

To The Other Side

Valley of Death

Wasn't It From A Dirty Harry Film?

We're Your Friends To The Bitter End....

Who Turned Out The Lights?

As You Wave Us Goodbye

Wishy-Washy

Wormer, He's a Dead Man! Marmalard, Dead! Niedermeyer...

You Keep Hanging On

Well, it's all excitement at DDP Towers as one of the selected candidates (no, not me) has sent a very, very nice e-mail to say they're not as ill as rumoured, can I please remove them from the site & let people know, as apparently it's hurting their career prospects by people seeing the information from a Google search.

And no, it's not Jade Goody. :rolleyes:

I have agreed to remove them from the main site, but I will keep them on as a candidate this year technically.

All to be revealed Thursday, but it's not good news for two of the DL's fratenity and 6 teams all in all.

Guest Scream

Could it be .. Oh, I don't know .. Alfonso Antoniozzi? He's young enough, his illness was a hoax, and he was selected by Eejit and Nap.