Sign in to follow this  
Anubis the Jackal

Low-hanging Fruit

OK, so it doesn't deserve a thread of it's own, so I'll create a related one but last night was the mawkish travesty that is the Pride of Britain Awards, aka Harvest Festival for lovers of low-hanging fruit.

Celebrities 'pay tribute' to the 'ordinary people' who...oh you know the score, plenty of under-age DL fodder for the less morally-obliged amongst us.

SEE! Various soap opera actresses weeping at dying children.

HEAR! The heart-wrenching stories of one-time minor pop stars as they try to get back into the 60-yard long sh*t filled trench of fame (thank you Steve Albini.)

GASP! As super-annuated has-beens pretend that they'd rather not be enjoying a 5-course dinner with wine at The Ivy.

We could usefully merge this thread with the Fringes of Fame one set up earlier.

Re the Pride of Britain.....I share your opinion totally. I once encountered a TV type vaguely associated with the show and suggested to him that it would work better if reversed. In other words, we got bunches of well adjusted but compromised individuals - say twenty sufferers of Sotos Syndrome - to sponsor and save some old thesp/pop star etc with a career withering from neglect. So, for example, Kathy Kirby, or Anita Harris, or The Glitterband could turn up to the regional support group and once again be treated like stars, applauded without condition and fed biscuits at the end.

He told me I was sick, but he couldn't stop laughing.

Sorry if my rant got in the way of the main thrust of the thread. This is for those 'celebrated' at the awards, plucky fighters of diseases etc. rather than the desperate space-eaters doing the 'celebrating.'

We could usefully merge this thread with the Fringes of Fame one set up earlier.

Aye but the fringes of fame thread is a debating chamber about those on the very edge of fame - like Dawn Hughes - and whether they qualify. It's also a place to keep up to date on their progress. The Pride of Britain cases who face death soonish are exactly the kind who make that thread.

OK, so it doesn't deserve a thread of it's own, so I'll create a related one but last night was the mawkish travesty that is the Pride of Britain Awards, aka Harvest Festival for lovers of low-hanging fruit.

Celebrities 'pay tribute' to the 'ordinary people' who...oh you know the score, plenty of under-age DL fodder for the less morally-obliged amongst us.

SEE! Various soap opera actresses weeping at dying children.

HEAR! The heart-wrenching stories of one-time minor pop stars as they try to get back into the 60-yard long sh*t filled trench of fame (thank you Steve Albini.)

GASP! As super-annuated has-beens pretend that they'd rather not be enjoying a 5-course dinner with wine at The Ivy.

Bang on the Money, Sir!!!

Brilliantly observed.

Pride of Britain? Pride of Vomit more like...

I'm sure Cherie Blair, Heather Mills and a few like-minded individuals would be happy to participate

Pride of Britain? Pride of Vomit more like...

Pride of Vomit

That Princess Diana was always up for those dos, wasn't she?

I see the POBs are on ITV tonight, but I haven't spotted any brave, terminally-ill adults amongst this year's runners and riders. And have they cancelled the Jimmy Savile Lifetime Charity Achievement Award this time around?

I'll get Carol Vorderman's coat.

Thought this was about dwarves.....Disappointed.