Razor Boy

Steve Jobs

Jobs not a good 'un then... <_<

No smoke without fire?

Or a jealous competitor feeding misinformation to drive down Apple's share price

in these difficult economic times?

Not speaking at annual meeting. Lots of rumors...most say he looks like hell.

I'd just been looking at this very thread, and (quite unconnected) then went on seconds later to stumble upon the headline Apple industry icon dies from cancer. However, as you will see, it's not Mr Jobs.

Sorry for doing an "iain", just thought it was rather ironic and a weird coincidence!

He claims he's being treated for a hormone imbalance

Gutted that I didn't put him in my team this year. The statement released today has just made me even more suspicious.

I just checked in to look at eejits neato avatar :referee:

Ominous indeed. As a sufferer of pancreatic cancer about four years ago, the info on wikipedia that "5-year survival is less than 5%" must not be comforting.

Another reason for Mac lovers to hate the PC.

At least I have Swayze on my list.

It certainly isn't good news for him.

That "hormone imbalance" sure has him confused

His iDeath isn't far away.

Statistically speaking, and you should never use statistics to determine your unique case, the type of cancer Jobs had/has has a 65-85% five year survival rate.

Yeah, but he was diagnosed in 2004.... :(

Statistics 101

All statistics are meaningless

1. Sample size - In medical studies, as with all scientific testing, results should withstand rigorous scrutiny. Studies should therefore be based on an adequate sample size.

2. Average - Is just a word in the dictionary. Forget qualitative, think quantitative.

Example: The Gaussian distribution

normal.gif

A symmetrical distribution based around a mean. This means that 50% of the population lie ABOVE the mean. If the average survival rate of disease X was 5 years then 50% of the population would, on average, live longer than five years, assuming of course the population follows a Gaussian distribution. (The distribution could be wider than that with confidence intervals set many years after that "average magic year of death".

3. 57% of statistics are made up on the spot.

4. Statistics in the hands of laymen can and generally are (mis)interpreted any which way they like. The media are especially evil in this respect (revisit MMR sites for confirmation).

5. 65-85% five year survival rate means that between 65 to 85% live to AT LEAST five years beyond diagnosis. Steve Jobs having being diagnosed in 2004, arbitrarily lets say Jan 2004, means that he has survived 5 years so far and thus not in the 15-35% of population that are expected to die before the fifth year. From this statement we do not know what the distribution is like nor can we infer anything more. Seeing all the data is critical, diagrams help, though stats can be manipulated just ask any government. Qualitative statements do not give the full picture.

6. Steve Jobs is on my DDP team :(

All statistics are meaningless. QED

Statistically speaking, and you should never use statistics to determine your unique case, the type of cancer Jobs had/has has a 65-85% five year survival rate.

Yeah, but he was diagnosed in 2004.... :(

He looks like a gypsy's put a curse on him to keep getting thinner, like in that Stephen King novel.