Godot

The Ones That Got Away...

6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I thought Jack Lyon who is still alive is also one of the great escape survivors? 

Yes, so did I. And just checked and he appears to still be alive aged 101.

Anyone able to make sense of this?

Churchill was the last surviving person to make it down the tunnel. Lyon is the last surviving person who was part of the escape, but it was stopped before he made it down the tunnel itself.

• Like 3

On 15/02/2019 at 07:17, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I thought Jack Lyon who is still alive is also one of the great escape survivors? 

On 15/02/2019 at 13:42, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes, so did I. And just checked and he appears to still be alive aged 101.

Anyone able to make sense of this?

On 15/02/2019 at 14:21, Spade_Cooley said:

Churchill was the last surviving person to make it down the tunnel. Lyon is the last surviving person who was part of the escape, but it was stopped before he made it down the tunnel itself.

Jack Lyon, last survivor of great escape plot, died Friday 8-3-19, aged 101.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, time said:

Jack Lyon, last survivor of great escape plot, died Friday 8-3-19, aged 101.

In the hole, as they say.

• Sad 1

On 07/06/2015 at 13:56, Sir Creep said:

Seems we need a place for 'the last of the Mohicans' as it were. I recall last year the last survivor of the Hindenburg and the last surviving Navajo Code Talker dying, and they should be noted not necessarily for being terribly famous, but for the sad end of an era in the history of mankind from which first-hand accounts are no longer available.

And with that, I present 98-year old Gus Villalta, who died May 26, 2015, just one day before the 78th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge's opening, and who was very likely the last living person who worked on the bridge.
SC
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/national/obituaries/story/2015/may/30/mthought-be-likely-last-golden-gate-bridge-wo/307072/

Reports of the death last of the Hindenburg disaster survivor were premature,as the last of the Hindenburg disaster survivors, Werner Gustav Doehner, died recently aged 90.

• Like 2

Auschwitz survivor and Women's Orchestra of Auschwitz member Esther Bejarano dead at 96:

https://www.dw.com/en/holocaust-survivor-singer-esther-bejarano-dies-aged-96/a-58224215

Accordion player in the orchestra. Given the Blue Planet award in 2013 for activism (anti-fascism, anti-racism and antisemitism)

The only surviving member of the Orchestra notable enough to have a wikipedia page now is Anita Lasker-Wallfisch (b. 1925), cellist who co-founded the English Chamber Orchestra.

• Like 2

https://www.wnky.com/i/hiroshima-atomic-bombing-survivor-sunao-tsuboi-dies-at-96/

https://apnews.com/article/japan-barack-obama-bombings-nuclear-weapons-a05d38dd0e65f9a5ed1e7c85c477cc97

Hibakusha (Atomic bomb survivor, Hiroshima) and Japan Confederation of A- and H-Bomb Sufferers Organizations Co-Chair, Kiyoshi Tanimoto peace prize winner Sunao Tsuboi has died at the age of 96.

From Wikipedia:

"In 1945 he was a student of the Hiroshima Vocational School in Senda-machi. On the morning of August 6 he had just eaten breakfast at a dining hall named "Shima no Kaori" and was invited to have a second breakfast with some other students. He declined as he was concerned that the young woman behind the counter would think him a glutton. When the bomb exploded soon afterwards he was walking to school and he was badly burned. Everyone in the dining room was killed. (Hiroshima: In Memoriam and Today. HIMAT Group. 2000. pp. 39–49.)  The school was abandoned and catching fire, so he went to an aunt's house nearby. He was in shock and belatedly realized he was badly injured and didn't wish to be a burden to her, so he left. He went to the Miyuki bridge where he heard that there was an aid station. But the only assistance there was cooking oil being used to ease the pain from burns. Policemen were pouring it onto the skin of school children. He was later taken to Ujina (Hiroshima port) by a truck and then to Ninoshima by barge. Only young men were being evacuated, as they were considered valuable for the war effort. He asked a woman visiting to inform his family. He stayed on Ninoshima for several days cared for by a classmate who fed him. His classmate was then sent elsewhere.  His mother and uncle searched among the dead and dying for three days with no success. When her uncle suggested leaving and holding a funeral for him, his mother began running around screaming his name. He heard her and put up his hand and said "Here I am." He was taken to his home in Ando but was not conscious of this. When his aunt first saw him, she said he looked like a ghost. He didn't know the war had ended and didn't believe it had when he was told."

tsuboi.png.d90d5ba33035937b4d27e68e33a7e74d.png

"Tsuboi was cared for by his family. He developed aplastic anaemia. He received many blood transfusions and was hospitalized eleven times. Three times his condition became so bad that he was told he was about to die. He suffered from several illnesses including two cancer diagnoses. He received intravenous transfusions for anemia every two weeks."

Tsuboi met Obama in 2016.

Notable living Hibakusha:

Hiroshima:

Hashizume Bun (1932-, Japanese wiki) Writer

Isao Harimoto (1940-) Korean former Nippon Professional Baseball player and holder of the record for most hits in the Japanese professional leagues, only Hiroshima survivor to play professional basketball in Japan

Issey Miyake (1938-2022) Fashion designer

Koko Kondo (1944-) Activist, daughter of Kiyoshi Tanimoto (1909-1986)

Setsuko Thurlow (1932-) Nuclear disarmament activist, leading figure and founding member of ICAN

Shigeaki Mori (1937-) Historian known for his research on Allied prisoners who died during the air raids on Japan. Also met Obama in 2016 and hugged him.

Hiroko Takenishi (1929-) Fiction writer and literary critic

Nagasaki:

Terumi Tanaka (1932-) Secretary-General of Japan Confederation of A- and H-Bomb Sufferers Organizations

Also might have been the last living notable Hibakusha who was an adult in 1945.

• Like 4

Austrian Holocaust survivor Gertrude Pressburger, who became involved in her country's 2016 election, warning about hatred and exclusion, has died. She was 94. Pressburger was persecuted despite her family having converted from Judaism to Catholicism in the 1930s.

https://weartv.com/news/nation-world/austrian-holocaust-survivor-mrs-gertrude-dies-at-94

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Three notable Holocaust survivors have died during during the last dew days:

Raphaël Esrail (1925-2022) French Resistance member and engineer. Arrested in January 1944, sent to Drancy internment camp and later Auschwitz. Forced to participate in a Death march, attempted escape and sent to Dachau concentration and liberated on the 1st of May 1945. Retired from his job as an engineer in 1988 and became a lecturer. Died from cancer on the 22nd of January. France24 article

Emerich Roth (1924-2022) Czechoslovakian-born Swedish author, lecturer and social worker. Survived being an inmate of five concentration camps, weighed only 34 kilograms at the end of the war. Visited a ton of schools, wrote multiple books and won multiple prizes including the Olof Palme Prize, the Raoul Wallenberg medal and Sokratespriset (shared with Hedi Fried). Died on the 22nd of January. Aftonbladet

Greta Ferušić (1924-2022) Bosnian professor of architecture. Survived Auschwitz and weighed only 33 kilograms at the end of the war. Survived the 1992-1996 Siege of Sarajevo, also the last person to get the Auschwitz Cross. Died on the 24th of January. Radio Sarajevo

• Like 4

Prince Charles has unveiled seven new portraits of some of the UK's last surviving Holocaust survivors on Holocaust Memorial Day.

Among them:

Helen Aronson BEM (b. 1927)
Lily Ebert BEM (b. 1923, wiki)
Manfred Goldberg BEM (b. 1930)
Arek Hersh MBE (b. 1928, wiki)
Anita Lasker-Wallfisch MBE (b. 1925, wiki)
Rachel Levy BEM (b. 1930)
Zigi Shipper BEM (b. 1930)

As far as I can see, they all seem to be in fair health. Though Lasker-Wallfisch is now in a wheelchair.

• Like 2

Margot Heuman (Wiki) at 94 is the last lesbian survivor of Holocaust, born in Germany, now living somewhere in New York.

Hamburger KZ: Margot Heuman hat Neuengamme überlebt

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gisooo said:

Margot Heuman (Wiki) at 94 is the last lesbian survivor of Holocaust, born in Germany, now living somewhere in New York.

Hamburger KZ: Margot Heuman hat Neuengamme überlebt

Looks good for 94! Still partial to a bit of fanny fun I reckon.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Looks good for 94! Still partial to a bit of fanny fun I reckon.

I think someone might need to get out more

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, TQR said:

I think someone might need to get out more

You're the one always telling me I need to relax and stop taking everything so seriously!

Also, didn't your screen name used to be "The Quim Reaper"? Isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black if you're taking issue with my crudeness? ;)

17 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You're the one always telling me I need to relax and stop taking everything so seriously!

Also, didn't your screen name used to be "The Quim Reaper"? Isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black if you're taking issue with my crudeness? ;)

I’m not taking issue with anything, I’m just having a joke. Thank you for further proving my point :)

German-Israeli journalist, author and Holocaust survivor Inge Deutschkron (Wikidead at 99

Bestmöglich versorgt? | Jüdische Allgemeine

• Like 2

Can't believe there are no more German journalists alive.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gisooo said:

German-Israeli journalist, author and Holocaust survivor Inge Deutschkron (Wikidead at 99

Bestmöglich versorgt? | Jüdische Allgemeine

Inge Deutschkron last picked for the DDP in 2020 @Death Impends so List Of The Missed: http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2020/celebs_D.html#deutsci020

She would have obited: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-10594745/Holocaust-survivor-Inge-Deutschkron-dies-99-Berlin.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Max Glauben, a Holocaust survivor who tirelessly shared his story and was among the founders of the Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum, died Thursday. He was 94.

Glauben, a longtime Dallas resident, died after being diagnosed with cancer, a museum spokesman said.

SC

• Like 1

Tulsa race massacre (31 May - 1 June 1921) survivors has for a while been one of the groups of people like the Tuskegee Airmen and the Flying Tigers, every time a "last living" dies, a few more are discovered

Well, there are three according to this Yahoo article:

Viola Fletcher, 108. At some point thought to be the last survivor.

Lessie Benningfield Randle, 107. 

Hughes "Uncle Red" Van Ellis, 101. Viola Fletcher's brother.

• Like 2