doomchanter

Rupert Murdoch

[T]he pie-r in question 1) got beat up by a Chinese woman 2) got dumped by his girlfriend over Twitter after she found out what he did.

I'm glad I'm not on Twitter. Mebby it's because I'm not a twit.

More to the point: I'd have used a pie with an anvil in it.

regards,

Hein

That would have to be quite some pie, and anyway don't they have metal detectors in these places?

Incidentally, does anyone know if Rupert owns a yacht??

Two seconds on Google reveals that he does indeed and, what's more, you can hire it:

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-style/l...90817-emuo.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/for-rent-ru...hs-yacht-2009-8

• Like 1

[T]he pie-r in question 1) got beat up by a Chinese woman 2) got dumped by his girlfriend over Twitter after she found out what he did.

regards,

Hein

That would have to be quite some pie, and anyway don't they have metal detectors in these places?

Two seconds on Google reveals that he does indeed and, what's more, you can hire it:

Indeed - his yacht is called Rosehearty which is a village about 2-3 miles away from Fraserburgh. If I'm not mistaken Ruperts Great Great Grandfather was a Church of Scotland minister there...

I think the villages support for Murdoch has been somewhat exaggerated in this article.

regards,

Hein

Indeed - his yacht is called Rosehearty which is a village about 2-3 miles away from Fraserburgh. If I'm not mistaken Ruperts Great Great Grandfather was a Church of Scotland minister there...

I think the villages support for Murdoch has been somewhat exaggerated in this article.

I can always count on you guys to do my Googling for me! I was asking more rhetorically really, just that it is almost exactly 20 years since another formidable and controversial media tycoon went off on his yacht...

I can always count on you guys to do my Googling for me! I was asking more rhetorically really, just that it is almost exactly 20 years since another formidable and controversial media tycoon went off on his yacht...

I see. I should have written: I'd have used a pie with an anchor in it.

regards,

Hein

regards,

Hein

I see now, I originally thought it might have been a reference to Hearst's little incident involving Thomas Ince and a gun on his boat that time...

The combination of the Norway mass killing and Amy Winehouse's passing has ensured his troubles will be pushed off the front page - at least for a few days or till the next scandalous revelation emerges....

OH MY GOD THERE HAS JUST BEEN AN ATTACK BY A MMEMBER OF THE PUBLIC ON THE MURDOCHS DURING THE SELECFT COMMITEE HEARINGTHEYVE BEEN TAKEN AWAY BY THE POLICE!

It was a custard pie.

Calm the fuck down.

WELL WHOEVER IT IS SHOULD BE JAILED!

Mr May-Bowles has been given a custardial sentence.

OH MY GOD THERE HAS JUST BEEN AN ATTACK BY A MMEMBER OF THE PUBLIC ON THE MURDOCHS DURING THE SELECFT COMMITEE HEARINGTHEYVE BEEN TAKEN AWAY BY THE POLICE!

It was a custard pie.

Calm the fuck down.

er..I was just kidding judge!was he given the sentence because he threw the pie or because he missed? :banghead:

It was a custard pie.

Calm the fuck down.

Six weeks for pieing a piece of shit. Little justice there.

Many years ago I got arrested for throwing bricks at the riot police at the occasion of the eviction of a squat. Due to a clerical error at the police station and an attorney who payed attention to detail I was acquitted in court, but the public prosecutor demanded a prison sentence of three weeks. District judge Daphne Wickham must be mad.

If I lived around I'd send Mr May-Bowles a cake with a file in it.

regards,

Hein

It was a custard pie.

Calm the fuck down.

Many years ago I got arrested for throwing bricks at the riot police at the occasion of the eviction of a squat. Due to a clerical error at the police station and an attorney who payed attention to detail I was acquitted in court, but the public prosecutor demanded a prison sentence of three weeks. District judge Daphne Wickham must be mad.

regards,

Hein

I'd still send him a fekin medal. I wonder just how much influence the murdoch clan had with the judge?

It was a custard pie.

Calm the fuck down.

regards,

Hein

I'd still send him a fekin medal. I wonder just how much influence the murdoch clan had with the judge?

Given it was a highly publicised incident they probably just wanted to send a message to any other potential self-styled anarchists/attention seekers etc

[snips]

I'd still send him a fekin medal.

Right, a cake with a file and a medal in it.

Given it was a highly publicised incident they probably just wanted to send a message to any other potential self-styled anarchists/attention seekers etc

I suppose so, the establishment thinks like that. It's still ridiculous to lock up a protester for six weeks.

regards,

Hein

Even our politicians are starting to grow balls (even our female PM!) and stand up to Murdoch's empire:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-03/gill...on-book/2822086

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-02/gill...editors/2821686

pack liars meeting another pack of liars - hardly call that "ballsy", it would be ballsier if they stood up for them instead, what a boring scandal - not even commonly referred to as "...gate". Murdoch isn't going away no matter how hard people wish it.

Even our politicians are starting to grow balls (even our female PM!) and stand up to Murdoch's empire:

pack liars meeting another pack of liars - hardly call that "ballsy", it would be ballsier if they stood up for them instead, what a boring scandal - not even commonly referred to as "...gate". Murdoch isn't going away no matter how hard people wish it.

He no longer has the same stranglehold as he has done for years, and he ain't gonna live forever...

Definitely all liars but the thing is, the politicians let Murdoch grow too powerful in the first place, then they became frightened of him. At least he is vulnerable enough now that they can openly criticise him. That wouldn't have happened even a few months ago.

Cynical marketing ploy and desperate attempt to combine the appearance of being in charge (by the Murdochs) with the generation of some sympathy (for those losing jobs), and thereby deflect criticism of the phone hacking, or summat. I'm not sure how the company is structured financially but if NOTW is a separate financial entity and they suddenly stop the income stream, there'll be some chance of deflecting damages claims because there won't be anyone to sue.

I thought as much

How long do you think it'll be before the launch of 'The Sunday Sun', or summat similar?

Coming 'Soon'!

Barry Askew

Used to edit some newspaper called "News of the World" apparently.

• Like 1

Filing for divorce. Might (hopefully) send him over the edge. KERCHING WENDY........Story from the Hollywood gossip site reads...

New Corp chairman/CEO Rupert Murdoch filed for divorce from wife Wendi Deng Murdoch this morning in New York State Supreme Court, Deadline learned at 9 AM. The divorce will not impact Rupert Murdoch’s mega-media holdings, according to insiders, and was deliberately announced for maximum transparency before New Corp spins off its publishing assets into a separately traded company by June 28th. (Murdoch will control both of these entities.) Today’s news comes despite numerous denials for months by PR man Steven Rubenstein and News Corp PR woman Julie Henderson to me as recently as April and May. (“We get this phone call once every 3-6 months,” Rubenstein and Henderson said at the time, pointing to the fact that Wendi and Rupert had recently hosted a dinner at their home for Oscar-winning Twentieth Century Fox director Ang Lee and were going away together on Spring Break.) But legal sources insisted to Deadline that the Murdochs’ divorce was being planned and, for the first time, not even Murdoch’s reps were denying yet another rift between Rupert and Wendi. In fact, his reps then admitted to me there had been marriage trouble but stressed ”it feels like its past whatever that was.” Today I’m told by insiders that, at that time, there were still no divorce proceedings underway so the denials were issued in good faith. “The divorce happened very quickly,” an insider tells me today.

The couple met in 1997, at a company party in Hong Kong. They married in 1999, less than a month after his divorce from ex-wife Anna Maria Torv Murdoch was finalized. Wendi is perhaps most fondly remembered for standing up for her husband and clocking Jonathan May-Bowles after he threw a pie at her husband during highly publicized testimony before a British parliamentary committee in connection with the News International phone hacking scandal.

Rupert and Wendi were married on his yacht in New York Harbor in June 1999. As part of the divorce from Anna, Rupert agreed that his existing children would inherit control of News Corp via the family trust. Wendi wanted that changed after giving birth to their two daughters, Grace and Chloe. But Rupert punted and actually startled Wendi by disclosing in a 2006 TV interview with Charlie Rose that the girls would not have voting rights in his family trust. He said they’d have an equal economic stake, but the decision-making would be left to his other children: Prudence, Elisabeth, Lachlan and James. “The fight that happened between Rupert and Wendi, after the program aired, is News Corp legend,” author Michael Wolff said in his book The Man Who Owns The News: Inside The Secret World Of Rupert Murdoch.

Since then, news reports noted that Wendi “has emerged with her own independent career and has immersed herself in a social circle that includes David Geffen, Larry Ellison, Tony Blair, Nicole Kidman and Bono, one that is often free of her husband’s presence.” With the wife of former MGM exec Harry Sloan, Wendi co-produced the 2011 film Snow Flower And The Secret Fan, which was released by Fox Searchlight. (It generated $11.3M in global ticket sales, including $1.3M from domestic theaters.)

The marriage is Rupert’s third, and Wendi’s second. The Wall Street Journal disclosed in a controversial front page article in 2000, before Murdoch bought it, that she met her first husband in 1988 when she moved to Los Angeles to learn English. She lived with Jake and Joyce Cherry, and broke up their marriage by having an affair with Jake. She married him in 1990, but they divorced after two years and seven months. “That was seven months longer than what was required for Deng to obtain a green card, allowing her permanently to live and work in the U.S. as a resident alien,” the paper noted. “Cherry says he and Deng actually lived together for ‘four to five months, at the most.’”