doomchanter

Rupert Murdoch

Pahahahaha. Always said she was just there to rinse him of a few dollar. I was right. Good on her.

I thought she would stay with him till he died. Maybe she has realised he might take after his mum and still here for quite a while yet. 

• Like 1

Oh what a coincidence .

I hear Amber Heard is looking for a rich man.

• Haha 1

Jerry Hall not divorcing Murdoch after all...

Maybe she's realised she gets more as a widow than a divorcee.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, arghton said:

superbowls.thumb.jpg.e208fe1f1697fbe9364d07e1f50364a5.jpg

Seen with that bird app guy at the Super Bowl.

That's a lot of evil in such a small space.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Digger

I'll bet she is.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, prussianblue said:

as long as she has a pillow and decent upper body strength, who cares?

Poor old Jerry didn't manage it.

• Like 2

On 20/03/2023 at 12:24, Spade_Cooley said:

I'm sure we'd all like to wish the Digger a very happy engagement to his new fiancee, Lesley Ann Smith, 66.

Best quote of his I saw related to this doesn't seem to be in that piece.

"We're looking forward to spending the second half of our lives together."

So apparently Rupert's planning to live to 184! :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

doesn't seem to be in that piece.

It was in a comment piece by Zoe Williams

Only recall because it struck me in the same way it did you.

One might say what unbelievable vanity, but in his case it's entirely believable.

• Like 1

There's a long but very interesting piece in Vanity Fair about Rupert and it covers his pretty terrible health in the past few years: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/04/rupert-murdoch-cover-story

'On the afternoon of July 2, 2022, Rupert Murdoch’s black Range Rover pulled up to a 12th-century stone church in Westwell, a storybook Cotswolds village 75 miles west of London. The then 91-year-old Fox Corporation chairman traveled to the Oxfordshire countryside to attend his 21-year-old granddaughter Charlotte Freud’s wedding. Invitations instructed the 70 guests to wear “formal theatrical” attire. Murdoch emerged from his SUV looking like Tom Wolfe in a white suit, red suede shoes, and red tie. Then he nearly collapsed. 

A day earlier, Murdoch was in a bed at Cromwell Hospital in London battling a serious case of COVID-19, two sources close to him said. Over the course of a week, doctors treated Murdoch’s symptoms—labored breathing and fatigue—with supplemental oxygen and antibodies, one of the sources said. His recovery was frustratingly slow. At the wedding, Murdoch needed the help of his oldest son, Lachlan, to keep him on his feet. “Rupert was very weak. Lachlan was holding him up to get from place to place,” a guest recalled.'

'COVID was only the most recent medical emergency that sent Murdoch to the hospital. In recent years, Murdoch has suffered a broken back, seizures, two bouts of pneumonia, atrial fibrillation, and a torn Achilles tendon, a source close to the mogul told me. Many of these episodes went unreported in the press, which was just how Murdoch liked it. Murdoch assiduously avoids any discussion of a future in which he isn’t in command of his media empire.'

'Hall was asleep in the stateroom aboard Sarissa when she bolted awake at the sound of Murdoch moaning in agony. She later told friends she found her 86-year-old husband in excruciating pain on the cabin floor. He said he fell down a step trying to get to the bathroom and couldn’t get up. Hall alerted the captain. He quickly gave Murdoch a shot of a painkiller that allowed Murdoch to sleep fitfully while they sailed through the night to the nearest port, Pointe-à-Pitre, on the French island of Grande-Terre, in Guadeloupe. But the crisis kept getting worse. Lachlan’s massive boat towered over the pier, and it was perilous to lower Murdoch in a stretcher. Once they managed to get Murdoch off the boat, they discovered the island’s hospital was closed after a recent fire. Murdoch had to spend the night on a gurney under a tent in the parking lot until James’s private jet landed with a medevac team. By the time Murdoch flew to a UCLA hospital, he was in critical condition. “He kept almost dying,” a person close to the family said. Doctors diagnosed Murdoch with arrhythmia and a broken back. While examining the X-ray, they saw Murdoch had fractured vertebrae before, the person said. Murdoch explained it must have been from the time his ex-wife Deng pushed him into a piano during a fight, after which he spent weeks on the couch. (Deng did not respond to requests for comment.) 

Murdoch’s PR team scrambled to spin the sailing accident when reporters started calling. They leaked an email to show he was in command. “I have to work from home for some weeks. In the meantime, you’ll be hearing from me by email, phone and text!” it said. But in reality, Murdoch was in terrible shape and required Hall to spoon-feed him for months. “Jerry was as sensitive with him as a full-time nurse would have been,” her friend Cashin said. Then, in March 2019, Murdoch had another fall in his Bel Air home. This time, he tore his Achilles tendon tripping over the box of a chessboard Lachlan had given him for his 87th birthday. The injury confined Murdoch to a wheelchair for months, a source familiar with the incident said. Murdoch was in and out of the hospital with pneumonia and seizures. When COVID-19 emerged in early 2020, Murdoch’s doctors told him he needed to take extreme precautions to protect himself.'

• Like 6

For the people that scroll past giant chunks of text in hope that someone has summed it up (me included), here is the rundown:

1. Broken back
  2. Seizures
  3. Two bouts of pneumonia
  4. Atrial fibrillation
  5. Torn Achilles tendon
  6. Arrhythmia
  7. COVID-19 (serious case)

He also suffered a fall in his home which caused the tear in his Achilles tendon, and he had a sailing accident that resulted in a broken back and required him to be hospitalised in critical condition.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

His mother died at 103, maybe he’ll follow the same tracks !

• Like 1

I appreciate it's a lot, but it offers a very clear picture of a man in very poor shape, so it seemed justifiable. I especially loved the image of Wendi Deng shoving the evil old bastard into a piano.

On another note, you'd think after Robert Maxwell that media moguls might avoid yachts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I hadn't appreciated quite how unlucky Jerry has been.  Serves her right

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Perhaps said:

For the people that scroll past giant chunks of text in hope that someone has summed it up (me included), here is the rundown:

1. Broken back
  2. Seizures
  3. Two bouts of pneumonia
  4. Atrial fibrillation
  5. Torn Achilles tendon
  6. Arrhythmia
  7. COVID-19 (serious case)

He also suffered a fall in his home which caused the tear in his Achilles tendon, and he had a sailing accident that resulted in a broken back and required him to be hospitalised in critical condition.

How in the living fuck is he still alive even allowing for the money has to throw at medicines/treatment etc.

• Like 1

Time to put him on the list neat year if he makes it then.

• Like 3