Guest Amo

Wrestlers/actors

In football, it would only take one case, as you suggest, I'm sure. But in the shadowy world of professional wrestling, the regulations are lapse due to what I'd said about it being in a non-clearly defined area between sports, acting and stunts.

Good point. Professional wrestling has no real championships or records to be broken, it is a script unlike Barry Bonds and his 73 steroid jacked home run season back in 2001.

I bet 35 % of wrestlers under contract are currently using steroids.

And really this isn't about steroids, in my opinion, because if every wrestler who was "on the gas" snapped like Benoit did, then there would be almost no wrestlers.

But not every wrestler is Chris Benoit. The doses can be took in at very high percentages.

They have over the counter steroids that look like vitamins, enhancement rub on paste, and of course consumed by injection. I would believe your mental state is based on your addiction, in my view Benoit could have been on them for many years. Any addiction with man made drugs for many years is no joy ride I would imagine.

It's not just steroids, it's the whole lifestyle. The recreational drugs, the women, the drinking, the ridiculous amount of time on the road, the jet-lag, etc, etc..

That's why they make millions man. That is the reason child actors grow up all screwed, and the young actresses go to Rehab on the weekends. It's a life to live, but it's a life that's hard living.

This isn't about steroids, but if it takes all this media malarky to get the wrestling scene looked at throughly, rather than ignored because it isn't "respectable" and treated like a backstreet carnival act, then good.

But ask yourself the question - Will this be looked into? Will this set an example or inspire anybody to make the difference in professional wrestling? I have no answer.

• Like 1

Do you feel that, after this latest horror, the whole of the Wrestling fraternity will be put under "official" pressure to address the obvious problems?

What would you regard as "Official?"

They have no governing body and aren't members of any sporting body besides what they govern themselves. It's not like they have to submit to random drug testing. How would this official pressure be brought?

Yes it is, because football is a sport and wrestling is a piece of theatre.

The similarity is that they're both taking money for their performances. They're both extremely fit and gifted at their uniques brands of entertainment and as a result are both on some kind of fitness and training regime that is result motivated. It has to be for them to command the money they're earning.

Professional sport, regardless of it's discipline, is rife with performance enhancing drugs. It's extremely naive to think otherwise. Just because Premiership football doesn't come up with players failing drug tests doesn't mean they don't do them. Some drugs are classed as legal in some sports and players aren't tested for them so consequently cannot fail them.

I bet 35 % of wrestlers under contract are currently using steroids.

I'd bet the total is much, much higher. :lol:

But not every wrestler is Chris Benoit. The doses can be took in at very high percentages.

And superior results can be achieved with much lower dosages, depending on the athlete. One of the biggest problems with kicking drugs out of sport is that it's negative to the entertainment. Lip service. If you look at recent episodes of WWE and compare them with days of yor, the wrestlers are much heavier and much stronger. Why? Better drugs and better diet.

Human Growth Hormone is the most expensive and most effective muscle builder on the planet. Also it's worth noting that there is no reliable way of testing for it. As Benoit's child was being treated with it he could quite legally have bucket loads of it in his house. Coincidence?

Combined with other steroids it [Growth Hormone] amplifies the results and these are usually permanent as the two, or more drugs, work in unison. For any athlete the results of using such drugs are too good to be true. The thing is they actually work, which is why Ben Johnson's 100 metre record stood for many years despite him being banned. It was never honoured by the IOC but it was several years before anyone ran faster than him. With the exception of growth hormone, most steroid gains are temporary. Stopping the use results in a loss in strength and muscle mass. In such a result driven industry, as professional sport, this isn't acceptable which is why performance enhancing drugs are integral to it's success. Drug cheats perform much better than their drug free rivals which is why they win and why they're worth millions.

They have over the counter steroids that look like vitamins, enhancement rub on paste, and of course consumed by injection. I would believe your mental state is based on your addiction, in my view Benoit could have been on them for many years. Any addiction with man made drugs for many years is no joy ride I would imagine.

Like everything it's use Vs abuse. Steroids were never invented as muscle builders. Their sporting properties were side effects. Clenbuterol is drug used to treat asthma. The side effect is that it's thermogenic (raises the body's temperature) and this triggers fat loss, so it's used by athletes to lose weight. Combine it with diet and exercise and the results are rapid. Anapolon was created to treat osteoporosis and anaemia, but it stimulated huge growth in muscle tissue for the patients. Again combined with diet and exercise and the results can be magnified.

Abuse of anything can be used to trigger someone's mental state. I mean if Benoit wasn't a wrestler and he was off his tits on cocaine and whiskey would he be dragged under the spot light? I mean how many times is alcohol abuse the catalyst for someone killing others or themselves? Does that necessarily make alcohol bad? F**k no. In the wrong hands anything can be used to trigger a loony into the actions of Crazy Town.

But ask yourself the question - Will this be looked into? Will this set an example or inspire anybody to make the difference in professional wrestling? I have no answer.

Absolutely not. The tragedy will be down to his mental state. Steroids will be the scapegoat and all the sporting bodies will say it's bad. Ad nauseum. Drugs, in sport, are here to stay. Too much money in it now. It's like saying "Let's Kick Lies Out Of Politics!" :rip:

The death of Chris Benoit's wife was announced on Wikipedia...14 hours before police discovered her body :angry:

Yeah, looks like it was a hoax - suppose that eventually one of the vandal edits had to be right, what with the infinite monkeys situation...!

do the divas use steroids?

(i mean the real ones like chyna not the recent stripper girls theyv hired to pull eachothers hair.)

if so have any female wrestlers died in the past

jus interestin to see how its all men named as the yound deaths.

i miss the days the girls could actually fight too.

do the divas use steroids?

(i mean the real ones like chyna not the recent stripper girls theyv hired to pull eachothers hair.)

if so have any female wrestlers died in the past

jus interestin to see how its all men named as the yound deaths.

i miss the days the girls could actually fight too.

Given that I'm a working journalist and am always worried about being identified, I better be careful here...

But those who have seen Chyna's sex-tape with X-Pac will notice the acne on her backside.

And Miss Elizabeth died young, while she was in a relationship with Lex Luger.

Despite coming from The Sun newspaper, a decent article on Benoit and 'roid rage.' Here.

Given that I'm a working journalist...

Isn't that some sort of oxymoron?

Only when the pubs are open...! :angry:

Oh aye, and he did use that hold on the nipper.

Another one bites the dust. Former "multi-time ECW tag team champion" John Kronus, has pulled his last "Imploding 450° Splash" by dying in an untimely manner.

I wonder if our learned wrestling correspondent has any extra information on the current health of Giant González, the tallest wrestler of them all, who measured in at a lofty 7ft 6inches. His Wiki page says that

He also currently lives in a care center. Gonzales has faced numerous health problems in the past few years and now has to wear tight knee braces when he occasionally stands.

Rather amusing video of Giant Gonzales in action here. (Technical ability wasn't really his thing :pop: )

I wonder if our learned wrestling correspondent has any extra information on the current health of Giant González, the tallest wrestler of them all, who measured in at a lofty 7ft 6inches.

I've been trying to track down information about Giant Gonzalez/El Gigante since I first saw that entry over a year ago, but given where he is and how he's living, I wouldn't be shocked if he has already gone!

I remember that entrance...and couldn't stop laughing at that outfit he was wearing.

I had the same curiosity when I was looking through the world's tallest people, and looked up Gonzalez. Just to get an idea, I'd refer anyone curious about what's possibly happening to him to look up Robert Wadlow (there's a video linked from his wikipedia entry) and Matthew McGrory (Big Fish, Devil's Rejects). Those two had acromegaly and I the only reference to 'giantism' is on an imdb site (obviously posted by fans), but in the only speaking role I could find for Gonzalez it doesn't sound like he has acromegaly. I know I can't look at an MRI of his to confirm it, but he doesn't sound like Andre the Giant, or McGrory in Big Fish or even Big Show Paul Wight (who I read had his pituitary tumor removed).

This answers.com page hints that his health has been in decline for about 15 years. I've kept an eye out for that silly giant, but getting news on his health is tough. We'd have a better shot with (not a wrestler, so I won't go into it) finding declining health info on Manute Bol.

"The 8th wildest superstar in WWE history", Dewey Robertson, AKA "The Missing Link", was hospitalised last week. His Wiki page states he is in the final stages of cancer.

did you hear that mr Hogan is setting up a new federation doing something top secrtet and cutting edge he has been fighting back against the steroids that made him famous in the first place

"The 8th wildest superstar in WWE history", Dewey Robertson, AKA "The Missing Link", was hospitalised last week. His Wiki page states he is in the final stages of cancer.

And now they're reporting that he's died.

did you hear that mr Hogan is setting up a new federation doing something top secrtet and cutting edge he has been fighting back against the steroids that made him famous in the first place

Was a two-page spread in the Sun a weekend or so back.

Apparently he wants wrestlers who are and look natural. Farcical really :referee:

His face has gone from green to a lovely shade of blue. Sad, I actually liked watching his antics in WWF and WCCW.

WWE is saddened by the passing of Lillian Ellison, who was known to sports-entertainment fans as Hall of Famer Fabulous Moolah. She passed away last night in Columbia, S.C.

In the world of women’s wrestling, there will always be one irrefutable legend that stands head and shoulders above the rest: The Fabulous Moolah. She was the longest reigning champion in the history of her chosen sport, or any sport for that matter. And with more than 50 years in the business to her credit, she established a legacy that will never be forgotten, making her name synonymous with female wrestling.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/fabulousmoolahpasses

Various wrestling websites, of veracity unknown, are reporting the death of Wladek "Killer" Kowalski, considered one of the first superstars of the industry. As such, I assume he is largely to blame for the form of existence professional wrestling has taken in the past fifty years.

Edited because apparently his real first name was "Wladek."

• Like 1