Guest Amo

Wrestlers/actors

Wrestlemania weekend seems like a good time as any for one to go. I'm gonna nominate Marty Jannetty.

We want a bigger name than that. How about Vince McMahon ? That would shake up the wrestling world

• Like 1

Wrestlemania weekend seems like a good time as any for one to go. I'm gonna nominate Marty Jannetty.

We want a bigger name than that. How about Vince McMahon ? That would shake up the wrestling world

It does need shaking up, Vince has too much power and has let it all go to his head. And he's more pre-occupied with money-losing follies like WWE Studios than actually investing in the long-term future of the product that actually made him rich in the first place. He has become the Howard Hughes of wrestling

It does need shaking up, Vince has too much power and has let it all go to his head. And he's more pre-occupied with money-losing follies like WWE Studios than actually investing in the long-term future of the product that actually made him rich in the first place. He has become the Howard Hughes of wrestling

But does anyone really give a shit? Its not like anyone believes that the matches are real is it?

Wrestling used to be a great show to watch during late 90s early 2000's now though is just very boring and well i guess 'sterile' is the best word for it. Weird because the WWE has more talented wrestlers than they did then back then and more money to spend on the show. There is hope though daniel bryan , wade barrett , sheamus and cm punk are all young talented entertainers.

But does anyone really give a shit? Its not like anyone believes that the matches are real is it?

You know that movie Armageddon? With the Aerosmith song and Liv Tyler and Steve Buscemi phoning his appearance in? Friend of a friend works in the movie industry on... like, I dunno what you call it. Special effects I suppose. Anyway, we were at some dreary drinks party once and he's had a few and he lets slip... Bruce Willis didn't actually fly into space and blow an asteroid up for that movie. It's all made up, entirely.

You know that movie Armageddon? With the Aerosmith song and Liv Tyler and Steve Buscemi phoning his appearance in? Friend of a friend works in the movie industry on... like, I dunno what you call it. Special effects I suppose. Anyway, we were at some dreary drinks party once and he's had a few and he lets slip... Bruce Willis didn't actually fly into space and blow an asteroid up for that movie. It's all made up, entirely.

Really? You'll be telling me next John Hurt didn't really have an alien rip through his stomach and Arnie and Danny aren't even related, let alone twins.

My point being that no-one ever tried to claim that Hollywood blockbusters are anything but fiction - unlike WWF/WWE.

The WWF/E shed all pretence of it being real before I was even born. Its choreographed theatre "sport", and in that, quite fascinating. I've no interest in real bloodsports.

Really? You'll be telling me next John Hurt didn't really have an alien rip through his stomach and Arnie and Danny aren't even related, let alone twins.

My point being that no-one ever tried to claim that Hollywood blockbusters are anything but fiction - unlike WWF/WWE.

No one tries to pass it off as real these days, not since the 1970s. Vince McMahon's concept of "Sports Entertainment" put paid to that

Eh, even in the territorial days the amount of people who really thought it was "real" was limited to seven-year-olds and the mentally retarded. Who, admittedly, do make up a large percentage of wrestling's fanbase.

Trying to work my way through the 2000 WCW catalogue at the moment. Man, that's a thankless task. The Harris Brothers really were uniquely shit.

Eh, even in the territorial days the amount of people who really thought it was "real" was limited to seven-year-olds and the mentally retarded. Who, admittedly, do make up a large percentage of wrestling's fanbase.

Trying to work my way through the 2000 WCW catalogue at the moment. Man, that's a thankless task. The Harris Brothers really were uniquely shit.

Yeah, but in those days the notion of 'protecting the business at all costs' or 'kayfabe' was still enforced rigorously, not the case anymore?

Re:- your second paragraph, are you a wrestling journalist, or merely a sadomasochist?

Yeah, but in those days the notion of 'protecting the business at all costs' or 'kayfabe' was still enforced rigorously, not the case anymore?

Re:- your second paragraph, are you a wrestling journalist, or merely a sadomasochist?

You say that as if they were mutually exclusive!

You say that as if they were mutually exclusive!

Well with the general state of pro-wrestling these days...

No one tries to pass it off as real these days, not since the 1970s. Vince McMahon's concept of "Sports Entertainment" put paid to that

I would suggest that McMahon was trying to pass it off as sport into the 90's. If there is evidence (even anecdotal) to the contrary I'd like to see it.

I would suggest that McMahon was trying to pass it off as sport into the 90's. If there is evidence (even anecdotal) to the contrary I'd like to see it.

Actually he has for many years now attempted to present his product as distinctive from sport, and wrestling for that matter, in order both to console his inferiority complex over being thought of as a lowly wrestling promoter, and to gain exemption from various taxations and regulations applicable to pro-sport organisations in the US

Actually he has for many years now attempted to present his product as distinctive from sport, and wrestling for that matter, in order both to console his inferiority complex over being thought of as a lowly wrestling promoter, and to gain exemption from various taxations and regulations applicable to pro-sport organisations in the US

Well, Sky certainly seem to consider it a sport, clogging up the 403 schedule for half the day and denying airtime for real, competitive mano-a-mano stuff like bar billiards and shove ha'penny.

Joe Scarpa, better known as Chief Jay Strongbow, who wrestled in the 1970's has died aged 83.

Two theme teams on the DDP picked him this year.

Obit incoming.

Joe Scarpa, better known as Chief Jay Strongbow, who wrestled in the 1970's has died aged 83.

Obit incoming.

Will this do as an obit?

Obit incoming.

He was my #21 pick. I don't get anything for that, huh?

damn, I could've sworn he was on my list.

The bad guy Scott Hall is living up to his name by beating and choking his girlfriend out . He is going on my deathlist next year if he makes it until then pretty sure he is on his last legs.

http://www.tmz.com/2...o4#.T4TWi3nujSY

The bad guy Scott Hall is living up to his name by beating and choking his girlfriend out . He is going on my deathlist next year if he makes it until then pretty sure he is on his last legs.

http://www.tmz.com/2...o4#.T4TWi3nujSY

I knew there was a reason why I picked him :)

former WCW & briefly a WWF/E wrestler Marcus "Buff" Bagwell got into a fender bender, & is in the hospitol.

It's been kind of slow for wrestling deaths this year . Seems like were overdue for a big name to kick the bucket some time soon.

I'm hedging my bets on the mannish Chyna. Not sure why but she's as messed up as anybody and a quick read of her bio shows a lot of abuse to her body throughout her life.

Only takes another incident lie this http://www.blippitt.com/joanie-laurer-chyna-hospitalized-following-benadryl-overdose/

I reckon the next wrestling death will be one of the ones we have expected for a while. e.g. Scott Hall, Jake The Snake, Bobby Heenan, Paul Orndorff etc.