Guest Amo

Wrestlers/actors

7 hours ago, msc said:

Some others like Joey Maggs and Al Green too. Though I can't mind if it was Al Green the dead wrestler, or Big Al from ECW who wrestled in WCW as Al Green at one point, but is still alive, who faced Goldberg on Nitro. Bloody WCW.

EDIT - With Vader's death, the 1996/97/98 Rumbles stand as:

1996 - 25/30 left alive (and with Owen, Bulldog and Vader among the first 5, wrong fucking order, Reaper...)

1997 -  26/30 left alive (again - Owen, Bulldog, Vader and, err, Crush/Brian Adams)

1998 -   25/27

Guess on next to go:

1996 - One of the Squat Team

1997 - Mil Mascaras

1998 - Chainz feels like one of those "what ever happened to" death notices tba...

The Al Greene who faced Goldberg is definitely the one who is deceased.  The bout took place August 31st, 1998, Greene died December 26th, 2014.

1 minute ago, alt obits guy said:

The Al Greene who faced Goldberg is definitely the one who is deceased.  The bout took place August 31st, 1998, Greene died December 26th, 2014.

The same Al Greene who once teamed with a then worthless Kevin Nash as the Master Blasters around 1990 I believe 

While googling for something completely different, I found a forum for old British wrestlers and wrestling historians where a thread contains a list of "still living British wrestlers of the 1950s". Might as well steal it for here:

50s Greats Still With Us at May 2018

Bob Anthony

Bobby Barnes

Jim Breaks

Dazzler Joe Cornelius

Jon Cortez

Spencer Churchill.

Max Crabtree

Joe D'Orazio

Barry Douglas

Ray Fury

Horst Hoffmann

Gerry Hoggarth

Dwight J Ingleburgh

John Lees

Gori Ed Mangotich

Al Miquet

Al Nicol

Lou Ravelle

Alf Rawlings

Bill Rawlings

Frank Robb

Blackburn Roberts

Bert Royal

Johnny Saint

Tony Scarlo

Roy St Clair

Dean Stockton

Adrian Street

Dickie Swales 

Les Thornton (HP)

Billy Two Rivers

Uncertain whether active in the 50s

Alan Bardouille

Syd Cooper

Jim Green (The Monster)

Colin Joynson

Peter Kaye

Sean Regan

Andy Robin

Uncertain whether still alive

Grant Foderingham

L'Ange Blanc

Bobo Matu

Joe Murphy

Rudi Schumacher

Gordon Smith

Bob Sweeney

Not all guaranteed obits, but definitely seven or eight names there you could use.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2018 at 11:49, Spade_Cooley said:

Larry Matysik, former right-hand man for Sam Muchnick, has been hospitalised for unknown reasons. Apparently he was in assisted living at the time of this incident.

Apparently was just moved into a care home, not that he's much aware of the fact.

On 09/06/2018 at 23:58, msc said:

At the Mark Curtis Benefit Show (no DDP points there, he died in 1999), Lord Zoltan took on Dominic Denucci in a "legends match" - bit of a fraudulent descriptions act bit, that. Denucci* could obit as trained Mick Foley, but Lord Zoltan is a journeyman who never made the big times.

He'd qualify for the Cup, as Slam/Canoe (Canadian sports site) counts and they cover all pro-wrestling deaths.

*Denucci's from Veneto, came to US in the 1950s. Early match, he gets asked to go on TV and do an interview to promote a cage match. Piss poor promoter so the "steel cage" is actually chicken wire, but Denucci is asked not to let the audience know. The limited in English  Denucci said on live TV: "This cage may look like chicken wire, but I assure you, it is not the chicken wire!" :D

Denucci's real surname is Nucciarone and his origins are from Abruzzo, exactly like Bruno Sammartino. His father emigrated in Veneto shortly before his birth.

• Thanks 1

Mick Foley posted a recent pic of himself with Dory Funk Jr. Not in immediate danger but 77 is 107 in wrestler years.

35970988_2166123560084437_40383831150585

And since there's Dory, here's Terry Funk (b. 1944) in 2018:

Also (stolen from Twitter and I can't be arsed to fact check) apparently Vader's death means there are no WCW PPVs with every competitor still living any more. 

4 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Also (stolen from Twitter and I can't be arsed to fact check) apparently Vader's death means there are no WCW PPVs with every competitor still living any more. 

Would presume so without checking given nearly every show from 93-early 2000 has at least one of Macho Man, Benoit or Pillman on it, then Sean O'Haire shows up. Think The Wall and Bam Bam cover the early 2000 period, and Dusty deals with much of the pre-1993

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Confirmed.  This does not include the Clash of Champions specials, of which there is at least one (Clash of Champions XXVII) with an entirely still living card. 

ECW must also fall under this ruling, thanks to Chris Candido/Balls Mahoney/Mike Awesome/John Kronus.

9 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Confirmed.  This does not include the Clash of Champions specials, of which there is at least one (Clash of Champions XXVII) with an entirely still living card. 

Actually, nope, The Guardian Angel, from that one, has died. You might know him better, as Big Boss Man.

12 hours ago, msc said:

Mick Foley posted a recent pic of himself with Dory Funk Jr. Not in immediate danger but 77 is 107 in wrestler years.

35970988_2166123560084437_40383831150585

And since there's Dory, here's Terry Funk (b. 1944) in 2018:

Not strictly true, Dory was from the pre-steroid era, don’t think he was ever a user but I could be wrong 

11 minutes ago, JR976evil said:

Not strictly true, Dory was from the pre-steroid era, don’t think he was ever a user but I could be wrong 

Perhaps, but steroids don't kill 1/10th of the wrestlers that cocaine does.

Also, the 70-80 average age of death seems to hit teetotallers as much as abusers, probably to do with the in-ring damage.

43 minutes ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

Actually, nope, The Guardian Angel, from that one, has died. You might know him better, as Big Boss Man.

He's not listed in my source book (Pro Wrestling Illustrated 1997 Almanac) for the event, but I do see him in the Wikipedia entry. Therefore, I stand corrected on this entry.  In fact, none of the Clash of Champions events have a card with all participants still alive.  The many bookings of Tom Zenk, Brad Armstrong, Big Van Vader and Rick Rude helped secure that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

He's not listed in my source book (Pro Wrestling Illustrated 1997 Almanac) for the event, but I do see him in the Wikipedia entry. Therefore, I stand corrected on this entry.  In fact, none of the Clash of Champions events have a card with all participants still alive.  The many bookings of Tom Zenk, Brad Armstrong, Big Van Vader and Rick Rude helped secure that.

Yeah, I almost over looked him, too. Until I clicked on the name, to double check.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

ECW must also fall under this ruling, thanks to Chris Candido/Balls Mahoney/Mike Awesome/John Kronus.

Axel rotten had a 6 year run aswell must of been in many ppvs. Public enemy tag team both dead now were ecw regulars.

Oldest WWF PPV without a dead wrestler is King of the Ring 99. If you ignore that because Paul Bearer is heavily involved, and then take out Crash Holly (etc) run ins, then I believe it's Vengeance in July 2005 with this enthralling card:

• I-C Title: Champ Carlito beat Shelton Benjamin
  • Victoria beat Christy Hemme
  • Kane pinned Edge
  • Shawn Michaels beat Kurt Angle
  • WWE Title: Champ John Cena beat Chris Jericho and Christian
  • Hell in a Cell for the World Heavyweight Title: Champ Batista beat Triple H

23 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Appears to be, from what I've gleaned.  Going the other way and figuring out which ECW PPV now has the highest body count is a little difficult, as Wikipedia doesn't have links to all events.  However, Ultimate Jeopardy (1996) has to be right up there.  All of the following who were on the card are now deceased:

Louie Spicolli

Doug Furnas

John Kronus

Mack Danny Kane (Matthew Anoa'i)

Bam Bam Bigelow

Terry Gordy

Axl Rotten

Big Dick Dudley

Pitbull #2

Nearly one-third of the card.

Danny Hodge, a revered amateur wrestler and pro-wrestler of the old school makes a spirited bid for contention on your long lists:

ALL TIME GREAT DANNY HODGE FOUND AFTER BEING REPORTED MISSING OVERNIGHT
by Mike Johnson @ 10:59 AM on 7/8/2018

Wrestling legend Danny Hodge, the first amateur or pro wrestler to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated, has been found in Tulsa, Oklahoma after authorities in Perry, Oklahoma issued a "silver alert" asking for help in tracking Hodge down after Hodge, who reportedly suffers from dementia, left his home yesterday afternoon driving a silver Toyota Camry.

At the time the silver alert was isued, authorities stated that Hodge, 86-years old, was "in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death." Tulsa is almost 79 miles from Perry, where Hodge resides.

New information in bold, he was still doing fan meet and greets few years back and has apparently gone downhill quickly...

13 minutes ago, msc said:

Danny Hodge, a revered amateur wrestler and pro-wrestler of the old school makes a spirited bid for contention on your long lists:

New information in bold, he was still doing fan meet and greets few years back and has apparently gone downhill quickly...

Authorities should look for that Toyota Camry in nearby valleys, swails, or ditches perhaps.

Midget luchador Piratita Morgan dead at 49. Working as Battalion  he was part of the WWF minis revival division in the late 90s and worked the six-man midget tag at the 98 Royal Rumble.

Noooo, not Battalion, he was the Dusty Rhodes of that midget division..

Max Mini, Mosaic and Nova defeated Battalion, El Torito and Tarantula

Special ref: Sunny (Somehow still alive...)

Max Mini's team wins by 3 deaths to nil.