Poetry Man

Vera Lynn

There's still some life in her. I could keep reminding you she's alive every day if you want?

No thanks. That would soon get old. Bit like Vera.

It's OK I didn't mean it. Don't know what the tongue in cheek emoji looks like.

• Like 1

There's still some life in her. I could keep reminding you she's alive every day if you want?

No thanks. That would soon get old. Bit like Vera.

It's OK I didn't mean it. Don't know what the tongue in cheek emoji looks like.

Ah! I would use this one :evil2:

Very useful for conveying 'I'm only winding you up' or 'Naughty but enjoyable' or 'Playing devil's advocate' etc

Observer today was on her story eight days ahead of her 100th birthday.

One thing they reported that I didn't know...her 102 year old big brother is still with us.

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Observer today was on her story eight days ahead of her 100th birthday.

One thing they reported that I didn't know...her 102 year old big brother is still with us.

We'll meet again? Neither of them has even departed yet!

Here is a Telegraph article of an interview with her daughter. Since it's behind a paywall I'll list the main points, although apologies as I'm not sure how much of this, if any, is new information;
Dame Vera lives in the same house as her daughter, and occupies the ground floor, but it states she now uses an electric wheelchair. Her daughter says whilst she is frail, her mind is completely sound and she continues to personally read correspondence. She also still insists on wearing make-up, and will not meet anyone without it. 

For pushing on 100, she seems to still be doing remarkably well.

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Here is a Telegraph article of an interview with her daughter. Since it's behind a paywall I'll list the main points, although apologies as I'm not sure how much of this, if any, is new information;
Dame Vera lives in the same house as her daughter, and occupies the ground floor, but it states she now uses an electric wheelchair. Her daughter says whilst she is frail, her mind is completely sound and she continues to personally read correspondence. She also still insists on wearing make-up, and will not meet anyone without it. 

For pushing on 100, she seems to still be doing remarkably well.

Aye, I'd say she'll be fodder for a forthcoming DL or two.

Vera Lynn has been around so long she remebers when there was just 1 White Cliff in Dover

• Like 4

I believe that she has a recorded interview to be aired on the Evans breakfast show on Radio 2

100 Today:birthday::party:

• Like 3

Yep - Happy Birthday Vera!:birthday:

I'm glad she got to 100.  She seems like one of the last prominent people from World War 2 still alive.  I watched the documentary 'World At War' recently (highly recommended if you haven't already seen it) and I think she was the last interviewee still alive from the whole 26 episodes - it was filmed in the late 60s/early 1970s if I'm remembering correctly.

43 minutes ago, RolandDeschain said:

Yep - Happy Birthday Vera!:birthday:

I'm glad she got to 100.  She seems like one of the last prominent people from World War 2 still alive.  I watched the documentary 'World At War' recently (highly recommended if you haven't already seen it) and I think she was the last interviewee still alive from the whole 26 episodes - it was filmed in the late 60s/early 1970s if I'm remembering correctly.

I am also very glad she has made 100.She looked frailer than I have seen her before in the BBC clip earlier.I would think only her and QE2 are the only public figures who were active and known at the time of WW2.Obviously many other figures from that era are still going but they wheren`t known at the time.

Any chance of her covering some of Chuck Berry's hits as a tribute?

Maybe not...

• Like 1

Congratulations to Vera

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Any chance of her covering some of Chuck Berry's hits as a tribute?

Maybe not...

More chance of her taking a dump on a glass table while you watch from underneath...

Seriously, happy birthday, Dame Vera!

14 minutes ago, The Happy Reaper said:

More chance of her taking a dump on a glass table while you watch from underneath...

Seriously, happy birthday, Dame Vera!

Chuck Berry would have liked to have filmed that...

• Like 1

Just now, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Chuck Berry would have liked to have filmed that...

Yes, that was the point! You didn't think it was just a random thought, did you?

Here is a video of Dame Vera today, gives you a better idea of how she's doing - and a very Happy Birthday to her too.

I give her a year or two.

On 3/20/2017 at 20:17, Thatcher said:

Here is a video of Dame Vera today, gives you a better idea of how she's doing - and a very Happy Birthday to her too.

From 3 mins in looks like she could give a really good hand job. I bet the old blokes in the home are still queuing up to see her!

From the Comments below the Telegraph obituary for Colin Dexter:

VL.JPG.78b51a9c2569bffecfe803c9cf0c954a.JPG

• Like 4

17 hours ago, gcreptile said:

She joins a campaign to give the last living Dambuster Johnny Johnson a knighthood:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3559675/dame-vera-lynn-joins-the-suns-campaign-to-get-a-knighthood-for-dambuster-hero-johnny-johnson/

Judging by the photo, she will survive him.

Good marketing move on her part to be the "Forces' Sweetheart":  she's been milking it for 70 years now.  

Emoticon-Money-icon.png

• Like 3