Poetry Man

Vera Lynn

She's on Radio Four this morning reviewing the Queen's top ten musical favourites

Not going anywhere soon by the sound of it

Heard her. Sounded like a lucid 70 year old. One to avoid imo for the foreseeable.

Here, June Spencer and the Queen will still be around when most of us are gone at this rate.

and Zsa Zsa

• Like 1

There's always Angela Lansbury.
  • Like 1

Gave a gutsy, well informed and thoughtful interview to Radio Four today on a news topic - closure of RBL women's branches - that was an unfolding story. She's on the ball and likely to see 100 IMHO. Be interesting to know if any soldiers -past or present - are still knocking one out to her.

• Like 2

Gave a gutsy, well informed and thoughtful interview to Radio Four today on a news topic - closure of RBL women's branches - that was an unfolding story. She's on the ball and likely to see 100 IMHO. Be interesting to know if any soldiers -past or present - are still knocking one out to her.

Prince Philip maybe.

• Like 2

Prince Philip maybe.

I'd say she's definitely going to make the ton.

Personally I think she should come out of musical retirement to do a one-off duet with Aloe Blacc of "I Need a Dollar" fame.

Think about it - they could call themselves Aloe Vera!

• Like 3

Hope she never dies. Could do without the sycophantic media coverage

• Like 1

If she's immortal a cult will eventually become a world wide religion

Surely the gushing obits would be less sycophantic than the other options

• Like 1

If she's immortal a cult will eventually become a world wide religion

Surely the gushing obits would be less sycophantic than the other options

You'll get sick of endlessly hearing blue birds over white cliffs for a couple of days, but as long as you avoid the Mail and the Express it shouldn't be too painful. Be interesting to see if HRH Liz2 goes to the funeral.

• Like 1

you'll have to put up with a lot of that for her 100th birthday next year anyway so if she goes before then we'd be killing 2 bluebirds with one stone , as it were

• Like 1

you'll have to put up with a lot of that for her 100th birthday next year anyway so if she goes before then we'd be killing 2 bluebirds with one stone , as it were

Good point. How about Liz and Phil the Greek pop round to deliver the 100th birthday telegram. The shock surprise makes Vera keel over, Phil laughs so much he chokes on a vol-au-vent and then Liz leads the press corps in a rendition of We'll Meet Again. Just a thought.

Good point. How about Liz and Phil the Greek pop round to deliver the 100th birthday telegram. The shock surprise makes Vera keel over, Phil laughs so much he chokes on a vol-au-vent and then Liz leads the press corps in a rendition of We'll Meet Again. Just a thought.

Indeed and in paying tribute to the recently departed Ms Lynn Liz accidently says "that cow had nothing on me!"

• Like 1

I was watching the national news tonight with the volume on low, Vera Lynn appears and I thought - "Yes - she's dead!" and assumed that she was deathlist's first death of 2017. Then realized it was to inform us there was to be a 100th birthday celebration of her life. I felt kind of disappointed!

Which weirdo just deleted my post

From Twitter, apparently:

"If Vera Lynn lives a bit longer she might get to be the 'forces' sweetheart' in the next world war, too."

• Like 4

The thought did occur that Bowie released an Album then was dead month later. Maybe history will repeat?

The thought did occur that Bowie released an Album then was dead month later. Maybe history will repeat?

Maybe, and it was two days btw.

She sounded good on the radio today when interviewed from home.

She sounded good on the radio today when interviewed from home.

Yes. Maybe the second place is a bit exaggerated.

There's still some life in her. I could keep reminding you she's alive every day if you want?

There's still some life in her. I could keep reminding you she's alive every day if you want?

No thanks. That would soon get old. Bit like Vera.

• Like 3