Poetry Man

Vera Lynn

Vera Lynn backing local Post Offices

Picture of her on the article, and the fact that she walks to her local post office every day and "get around & about" means I can't see her becoming a DL hit this year, or indeed for some years.

Too true OoO, I've got no idea why she's on the list,

Dame Vera is fitter than many people half her age.

Guest Mike

Can anyone explain how Vera Lynn made it onto the 2007 DL?

We all know she isn't giving her final bow anytime soon...surely we could have chosen someone else..

Can anyone explain how Vera Lynn made it onto the 2007 DL?

We all know she isn't giving her final bow anytime soon...surely we could have chosen someone else..

maybe we could have...but she seems a decent enough candidate to me...oldish....with all her best years behind her .

Vera is a poor choice for 2007. She'll happily see 2008.

Careful what you say on this forum............................ These things have a nasty habit of coming back to bite you on the arse!

Didn't Vera Lynn start the war,or was it somebody else?

Nah that was Vera Duckworth

I thought there were weaker picks this year famewise (famewise?), but Vera Lynn's presence strikes me as the weakest of the possibles. I wouldn't be surprised if she carried on for maybe another five years. She has a mission to see out all the old boys. Also she's had a pretty stress-free life, only having to warble one mediocre song time and time and time again. She might outlive Cliff Richard.

Yes. She did it to give her career a boost.

What, like Dubya?

What, like Dubya?

Yes. But he's probably a better singer.

What, like Dubya?

She would probably be a better president of the USA.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

She's done more than the one song, it's just that some of the other stuff is desperate. If you're that bothered spool back through the thread where I posted a link to her 'in Nashville' album. Arguably the worst country album....in the world, ever!

What, like Dubya?

She would probably be a better president of the USA.

regards,

Hein

faced with the prospect of Vera Lynn rattling away and a diet of Arthur Askey and the the Crazy Gang etc during WW2 I think I would have paid the War Office to send me far away from the Homeland

No, but she's started a bit of a row about Gulf War Syndrome.

Vera Lynn is 'now an angel' :lol: - no, that's not what they mean!

Special video interview to mark her recent 90th birthday.

Guest kevin billiard

I hate to speak ill of the dead so i wont, but my grandad met her in 1943 and said she was a hard faced cow, because she told him to get lost when he asked for her autograph. many years later on his death bed he admmited he made the whole thing up. god no,s why he did it, i spent years slagging off vera for no reason

I hate to speak ill of the dead so i wont, but my grandad met her in 1943 and said she was a hard faced cow, because she told him to get lost when he asked for her autograph. many years later on his death bed he admmited he made the whole thing up. god no,s why he did it, i spent years slagging off vera for no reason

hahahahaha whatt????

hahahahaha whatt????

I suspect what actually happened was that he propostioned her and she spurned his amorous advances. Perhaps he even stalked her for a while. She didn't know when they'd meet again but that wasn't good enough for him so he he resorted to stealing her underwear.

It was the resulting court injunction that led to his consuming bitterness and the scurrilous falsehood that he only retracted upon his deathbed.

Fear not as this does not blemish your grandfather's memory. Succumbing to female celebrity wiles is far from uncommon. Indeed, the DL itself has a member who goes by the pseudonym of The Pooka and is a full time stalker of the one time actress, Tessa Wyatt.

Beautiful, sexy women can make the best of us do things which are out of character, as I was forced to admit when the next door neighbour's teenage daughter caught me spying on her that time when I wasn't really using the ladder to clean the guttering.

Cheers,

BHB

Guest Guest

hahahahaha whatt????

I suspect what actually happened was that he propostioned her and she spurned his amorous advances. Perhaps he even stalked her for a while. She didn't know when they'd meet again but that wasn't good enough for him so he he resorted to stealing her underwear.

It was the resulting court injunction that led to his consuming bitterness and the scurrilous falsehood that he only retracted upon his deathbed.

Fear not as this does not blemish your grandfather's memory. Succumbing to female celebrity wiles is far from uncommon. Indeed, the DL itself has a member who goes by the pseudonym of The Pooka and is a full time stalker of the one time actress, Tessa Wyatt.

Beautiful, sexy women can make the best of us do things which are out of character, as I was forced to admit when the next door neighbour's teenage daughter caught me spying on her that time when I wasn't really using the ladder to clean the guttering.

Cheers,

BHB

Ah!!

Here you go...

Open Day at the school named in her honour next Friday. Assuming none of us on here are quite so sick as to kidnap a kid with CP and try crashing the event, do any boarders live in the area and have the time to monitor local telly for moving images of our Vera, to give us a report on her current form?

Guest Guest

very frail,gaunt,almost fell over and had to be helped by worried onlookers.Cant believe how much shes deteriorated in just a few months since last saw her.She tried to speak but was hoarse and coughing.I am sad to say I think she may not last another year in that condition B)

If this was my girlfriend and she said 'Should I spare iain? (I would turn my head)

Pray iain, pray.

07kill_bob_wolverton49.jpg

very frail,gaunt,almost fell over and had to be helped by worried onlookers.Cant believe how much shes deteriorated in just a few months since last saw her.She tried to speak but was hoarse and coughing.I am sad to say I think she may not last another year in that condition B)

Now you see, this is the kind of sh*t from Iain that annoys the hell out of me and hopes that NAP etc can ban all the IP addresses this moron posts under. It nay be a futile task, but maybe not...

Iain has not seen Vera Lynn any more in public than Sir Anthony Eden in the last year. (in fact, I doubt if Iain has seen anyone in public in the last year). So, well meaning people read this, think "oh no, near death" and keep her on the list, when there's nothing wrong or nearly nothing wrong with them. It's something that the DL committee has only just cottoned on to & is one of the main reasons DL has less hits than people - like Iain - demand! But Iain is so stupid, he can't equate that Crying Wolf over a healthy celebrity is destructive to the DL aims & can't understand that when he criticizes, he is mostly to blame. But that would involve rational thought.

For the matter:-

Vera Lynn still walks half-an-hour every morning, maybe longer. She's certainly not gaunt & looks positively healthy. If she has any help, it's only from well-meaning people who would help, say, a 22 year old girl from one place to the next - they're called gentleman - not that Iain would know.

Whilst her singing voice isn't as good as it was in her heyday, she is still able to do frequent radio interviews & appearances.

This comes from media reports, TV appearances & a few public sightings (ie my brother-in-law at a wartime festival meet)

Whilst nothing is guaranteed in this World of Death, I would be most surprised if Dame Vera Lynn dies this year.