Poetry Man

Vera Lynn

Ronnie, Penny are you both using the same computer? Your IP address's are identical

Guest Penny
Ronnie, Penny are you both using the same computer? Your IP address's are identical

Hey there, yes we live together.

Yeah, but you didn't answer the question fully. Are we talking living in the same house, or the same body?

Guest Penny

Yeah, but you didn't answer the question fully. Are we talking living in the same house, or the same body?

We live in the same house, Ronnie is my husband. We had the privilage of metting Dame Vera ten years ago and we adore her.

Dame Vera hits the charts again. She's become the oldest living person to chart in the process (age 92).

Who was the oldest dead person then?

Mozart?

Dame Vera hits the charts again. She's become the oldest living person to chart in the process (age 92).

Who was the oldest dead person then?

Mozart?

I reckon the oldest living person to chart is Buster Martin of The Zimmers, who was 99 (give or take a year) when their version of My Generation made #26 in 2007.

Oldest dead person? I'm going for the unknown bloke responsible for Ecclesiastes (c200-250 BC) when he 'co-wrote' Turn! Turn! Turn! with Pete Seeger, which became a hit for The Byrds in 1965. It also reached #26, oddly enough.

Dame Vera is the oldest living person in the top 20 UK albums, though this isn't quite the achievement the news programmes are suggesting. A major reason for this is the way album sales are dropping and one small section of the album buying public - pensioners - are bucking the trend by shelling out for hard copy whilst everyone else just steals stuff online. Dame Vera's sales wouldn't have registered for chart purposes ten years ago, now she makes the top 20. Jim Reeves had a top 10 album this year for much the same reasons.

Has Vera Lynn been added to the 2010 list? Surely a hot contender...

Edited by Magere Hein
So much so she has her own topic. Post moved -- MH

Just saw an interview with Vera Lynn on Dutch TV, recorded last winter. The old bird looked in fine form and even sang, remarkably well for her age. No signs of impending death.

regards,

Hein

Yep, I saw her interviewed about her 'new' album, seemed really chipper. The album, by the way, is 'rediscovered' acetates and discarded songs from earlier recordings. Guess it gives an insight into musical directions she might have taken, or summat.

Maybe they'll re-issue the infamous 'Nashville' country album.

Interviewed by David Frost in a documentary screened last night. She still seems pretty perky which is more than could be said for him.

Vera is interviewed in a documentary about ENSA on BBC4 on 20th September. It's a bit of a coffin-dodging special, also featuring him and him, to name but two.

Why Vee is on the 2011 list, I have no idea. She must be the healthiest 94-year-old on the planet (Zsa Zsa excepted).

Did a double take when this arrived in my inbox:

1158776.jpg?5

Did a double take when this arrived in my inbox:

1158776.jpg?5

Is what I get after eating chillis

Dame Vera usually makes one or two appearances over the Remembrance weekend, this year I have not seen anything of her. Has anybody else? If not could it be a sign of declining health, though at her age she might just be suffering from old age rather than actual illness.

Guest john molyneux

dame vera lynn.truly an inspiration to all our brave troops in ww2 and wont it be a very sad day when she does depart this world.

she is to be looked up at with great fondness in my book and i've no doubt anyone from the war era would say the same.

keep going dame vera,i personally would love to hear you sing 'we'll meet again',though i know you are frail these days.

Guest Guest

thank you for your invaluable info!

Dame Vera was 96 yesterday.

Yep! I was born at the end of WWII and I remember Vera. She is great. I am glad she is still alive and enjoying life. I don't know why this damn thing is underlining everything so I apologize for that. Just read between the lines.

Edited by DevonDeathTrip
Underlining removed. Welcome to the forum, Smiler.