Poetry Man

Vera Lynn

DL-Icon, RIP.

I must admit I'm getting a bit emotional watching the obituaries on tv.Never thought that would happen !

I guess this is the closest thing we'll get to the Queen dying.I wonder if she'll get a state funeral or anything.

Olivia de Havilland is now the only living one from the original DL bedblockers.

1 minute ago, drol said:

Olivia de Havilland is now the only living one from the original DL bedblockers.

If only we knew how long ago that pic of her riding a bike was taken we'd have more idea how long she might have, but that's 3 of the 4 centenarians on the list gone so maybe we'll get the full set ! 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Maybe cunto @YoungWillz approves of this stellar death announcement. 

WTF?

This is the Vera Lynn thread and she just died - show a bit of respect.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

If only we knew how long ago that pic of her riding a bike was taken we'd have more idea how long she might have, but that's 3 of the 4 centenarians on the list gone so maybe we'll get the full set ! 

We do know, because one of our long-time respected users and top class researchers cracked it and found it originated from at least over a decade ago. The houses are clearly not Parisian in the photo either. What more evidence do you need to get it through your head that it’s an old photo that someone rehashed and now it’s gone viral?

• Like 3

The Forces Sweetheart beats no more.

Nobody who had a top ten hit in 1952, the first year of the UK Chart, lives.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Died on the 80th anniversary of the finest hour speech.

Yes you are right and I had to check because I've always believed that the 'finest hour' speech was made after the Battle of Britain and that the 'fight on the beaches' speech was after the fall of France, in fact that one was delivered on 4th of June 1940 whilst the battle for France was still raging.

Never thought the day would come, RIP

Dead on the 18th of june, the day of De Gaulle’s call for resistance 

• Like 2

Ah but isn't it also Paul McCartney's birthday today? So we still have institutions......

Rest in peace. :(

Edit: At least I got my first DDP points now...

59 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

I must admit I'm getting a bit emotional watching the obituaries on tv.Never thought that would happen !

I guess this is the closest thing we'll get to the Queen dying.I wonder if she'll get a state funeral or anything.

There are very very few people who deserve state funerals but she is definitely one of those who does.

It's a shame that she's died at a time when it's impossible to grant her one. I hope she gets a state memorial service at some time when people can gather in numbers.

• Like 1

Undoubtedly a big piece of living history gone now. RIP.

Elsewhere, I think the age gap between Olivia de Havilland and Prince Philip is the longest between the two oldest living DL picks since Rainer to Havelange in late 2014 (Wouk didn't return to DL until after Rainer's death)?

• Like 1

RIP to a legend.  

Just worked out that she was older then Kirk Douglas when she died at 103 years, 2

months and 29 days compared to a mere 103 years, 1 month and 29 days for Kirk.

If I’m not mistaken she was probably the last surviving interviewee on The World At War series. Also, apart from her importance in WW2, will be remembered for the ending of Dr Stangelove when the bomb goes off..

9 minutes ago, RolandDeschain said:

If I’m not mistaken she was probably the last surviving interviewee on The World At War series. 

Good question. I've skimmed quickly, and think that, at the very least, Rita Boas Koopman is still alive? She seems to be referred to in the present tense in this Dutch news article published just yesterday, but maybe Google Translate is doing me dirty.

• Like 1

Well it a'nt no sunny day alas. RIP

Rip to the goat Dame Vera Lynn

I feel as if we've lost a loved one.

About time.

4 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

There are very very few people who deserve state funerals but she is definitely one of those who does.

It's a shame that she's died at a time when it's impossible to grant her one. I hope she gets a state memorial service at some time when people can gather in numbers.

A zoom call with 50m people dialling in?

This is doing the rounds on Twitter atm, the original We'll Meet Again recording. Just Vera accompanied by Arthur Young on the Novachord. This is the version familoar to wartime listeners. (Recorded 1939 according the blurb). It's not quite the jingoistic version we've been subjected to ever since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, time said:

This is doing the rounds on Twitter atm, the original We'll Meet Again recording. Just Vera accompanied by Arthur Young on the Novachord. This is the version familoar to wartime listeners. (Recorded 1939 according the blurb). It's not quite the jingoistic version we've been subjected to ever since.

Ah, brings it all back.

Steam trains, slums, a rigid class system, GIs banging our women, rationing, spivs knocking you out an extra egg, doodlebugs....

And there's Vera, locked in a recording studio with Arthur with his organ out. :lol:

• Haha 4