Poetry Man

Vera Lynn

Yep! I was born at the end of WWII and I remember Vera. She is great. I am glad she is still alive and enjoying life. I don't know why this damn thing is underlining everything so I apologize for that. Just read between the lines.

There once was a member named Smiler

Who complained of a broken underliner

But after this post

He became like a ghost

Was he killed by a rabid Rottweiler?

Dame Vera is the oldest living person in the top 20 UK albums, though this isn't quite the achievement the news programmes are suggesting. A major reason for this is the way album sales are dropping and one small section of the album buying public - pensioners - are bucking the trend by shelling out for hard copy whilst everyone else just steals stuff online. Dame Vera's sales wouldn't have registered for chart purposes ten years ago, now she makes the top 20. Jim Reeves had a top 10 album this year for much the same reasons.

Out of curiosity, have any other "nostalgia" acts made the top 20 since Jim and Vera? I've not heard of any but surely album sales have continued to decline since 2009, leavingthe door open for a Doris Day or an Engelbert Humperdinck to have another crack at chart glory.

Dame Vera is the oldest living person in the top 20 UK albums, though this isn't quite the achievement the news programmes are suggesting. A major reason for this is the way album sales are dropping and one small section of the album buying public - pensioners - are bucking the trend by shelling out for hard copy whilst everyone else just steals stuff online. Dame Vera's sales wouldn't have registered for chart purposes ten years ago, now she makes the top 20. Jim Reeves had a top 10 album this year for much the same reasons.

Out of curiosity, have any other "nostalgia" acts made the top 20 since Jim and Vera? I've not heard of any but surely album sales have continued to decline since 2009, leavingthe door open for a Doris Day or an Engelbert Humperdinck to have another crack at chart glory.

David Bowie?

• Like 1

David Bowie?

LOL. That reminds me of a One Foot in the Grave episode where a musician comes to a nursing home to play nostalgic songs of yesteryear and launches into Purple Haze.

Seriously, though, it would be a surprise if more old-style acts don't crack the mainstream charts over the next few years. They don't even have to be particularly elderly like Vera - someone like Liza Minelli could feasibly hit the top twenty again if the album-buying public has shifted to an older demographic.

I think older people will start to shift in buying music online. What I think will be interesting is seeing Vinyls Records sales overtake CD's as collectors,audiophiles and DJ's will eventually be the majority of people buying physical sound media.

Good shout. Keep the feminists at bay if we choose a woman to be DL's icon...

• Like 3

As I noted in another thread, with Ronnie Biggs' demise, I vote that Dame Vera be made DeathList's new ambassador since she has been in contact with us in the past and it is only fitting that a Dame be patron of a fine website such as this one. Thoughts?

Nice idea, but can't see her crouching next to a DL mug and giving us the middle finger salute.

• Like 1

As I noted in another thread, with Ronnie Biggs' demise, I vote that Dame Vera be made DeathList's new ambassador since she has been in contact with us in the past and it is only fitting that a Dame be patron of a fine website such as this one. Thoughts?

Nice idea, but can't see her crouching next to a DL mug and giving us the middle finger salute.

Well, she was a good sport when she dropped by to chat to us (if that really was her) so maybe she would!

Well, she was a good sport when she dropped by to chat to us (if that really was her) so maybe she would!

That clearly wasn't her.

Whoever it was, they were more coherent than most guests!

Who else could be DL's new mascot? Zsa Zsa's leg?

Whoever it was, they were more coherent than most guests!

Who else could be DL's new mascot? Zsa Zsa's leg?

Hope not,,,,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/children-evacuated-from-swimming-pool-after-prosthetic-leg-mistaken-for-paedophile-9010525.html

• Like 1

Guest Em

Keep going Vera we love you and the white cliffs of Dover

I think it's a bit optimistic of her to think it will chart as high as 97.

Oh, it's her birthday today! :party:

And bless her, the old dear took part in a phone call with Richard Bacon on 5 live this lunchtime. Top marks to her.

But to be clear this "new" record is just unearthed recordings from days past.

Let there be no doubt, her best days are past, and sometime soon, we will record that it will be time to stick her under 6ft of earth.

And bless her, the old dear took part in a phone call with Richard Bacon on 5 live this lunchtime. Top marks to her.

Let there be no doubt, her best days are past, and sometime soon, we will record that it will be time to stick her under 6ft of earth.

She's so fucking old she must be the one person who's been on his show in the last ten years who doesn't immediately think of cocaine when she hears the name.

She's so fucking old she must be the one person who's been on his show in the last ten years who doesn't immediately think of cocaine when she hears the name.

Why wouldn't she? What's her age got to do with it?

His Blue Peter career might have slipped under her radar, I grant you.