Canadian Paul

Deathlist 2011

It would seem that DL, a nice glossy site, well drilled, well organized, Moderated efficiently and Administrated, may have forgotten how it all began. It was just a bit of fun.

Perhaps picking the likes of Gazza, Winehouse and Higgins may not bring a hit in 2009 but it will be a damn sight more fun and will create debate and conjecture that no amount of 89 year old cancer/ dementia riddled fogeys could ever elicit.

DL being a bit Retro for 2009?

Just a thought.

It would seem that DL, a nice glossy site, well drilled, well organized, Moderated efficiently and Administrated, may have forgotten how it all began. It was just a bit of fun.

Perhaps picking the likes of Gazza, Winehouse and Higgins may not bring a hit in 2009 but it will be a damn sight more fun and will create debate and conjecture that no amount of 89 year old cancer/ dementia riddled fogeys could ever elicit.

DL being a bit Retro for 2009?

Just a thought.

Retro is so last year.

Boom boom.

Guest amy winehouse

I can assure all postees that suggestions are carefully read and considered before later being totally ignored or passed over in a haze, the final list names just basically randomly appear as drunkeness kicks in. We then hope that the secretary 1) does not lose the list on the way home (as we could not possibly re-create it as nobody could remember it) 2) can actually read their own writing the next day and 3) get's it right when transcribing it on the net.

Yours

Amy

PS please stop picking me for next year

PPS I love my Blakey

Er.. Isn't that what the Ideas & Possibilities thread (not the sticky, the one done by CP) was set-up for? Most people use it, so why not DL, as that was the reason why it was created.

I think this string is more of the contributors lobbying the almighty OZ (the Mods). I don't know that the Mods really look at CP's list (judging by the 2008, I'd say no). The top 10 contributers would be able to create a list of 50 that would be far more successful, diverse and interesting. Look at the DDP and see who is at the top (mostly Members, not Mods).

We certainly need at least one hell raiser on the list, possibly more -maybe 2009 will be the year Shane MacGowan finally dissolves. We should also have a religious leader to balance things out a bit, as well as Alain Robert, Gazza and Barak Obama :rolleyes: .

That will be all.

Er.. Isn't that what the Ideas & Possibilities thread (not the sticky, the one done by CP) was set-up for? Most people use it, so why not DL, as that was the reason why it was created.

I get your point O3. But Miser is right. Ideas and Possibilities has too many random posts, "so and so went to hospital", therefore he or she gets suggested. This thread seemed to be more about working towards the actual 2009 DL, with suggestions by regular posters who get what the site is about.

Anyway, two good nominees that I'm sure the Committee will discuss in great detail over the fifth pint.

I think this string is more of the contributors lobbying the almighty OZ (the Mods). I don't know that the Mods really look at CP's list (judging by the 2008, I'd say no). The top 10 contributers would be able to create a list of 50 that would be far more successful, diverse and interesting. Look at the DDP and see who is at the top (mostly Members, not Mods).

Mods picking the list? :rolleyes:

You have much to learn, Miserhopper.

It's 'I vont to be alone......cos I'm eccentric and a little scary.' I think. The story as I recall it is that she was the working class girl drafted in, her female Abba-mate was fathered by a German soldier to a Norwegian mother so the pair weren't exactly soul mates, and Aggie kinda got bitter and twisted as a result. Not so much bull-goose looney as major chip on the shoulder.

It's 'I vont to be alone'. Full stop. Agnetha already had a notable solo career before Abba so she was hardly a novice. However, she was never much of an extrovert or outgoing party girl - that was Frida , and while they got on (the 'feud' is something that seems to have been dreamed up in the Nineties, possibly stemming from Andrew Loog Oldham's book), their personalities were very different to each other. She preferred being at home with the children than touring and didn't enjoy the spotlight. Touring is out following a particularly scary flight that put paid to flying - this is also the main reason why she didn't appear at the 30 years since Eurovision 1974 thing in Brighton or any of the Mamma Mia events in the UK, and also why she pulled out of a scheduled Parkinson appearance. I think she just sees Abba as part of her past, and that's where it should remain. Fair enough. I'm a *huge* fan but I don't want to see them reform and tour as it would diminish the magic of their heyday.

While she does seem to be a little eccentric, that's solitude for you I guess and her life seems to be perfectly normal away from the public eye - though that doesn't explain the relationship with her stalker...

What were we talking about again? Ah, DL... Umm, well, OoO said last year that Eunice Kennedy Shriver would be lucky to see out January and that was the main reason why she went on my list and she's been a (un)dead loss this year, so I'm sulking.

Mods picking the list? :unsure:

You have much to learn, Miserhopper.

So is it as I fear... everyone listed on the Dead or Alive website on the over 85+ page picked out of a hat (drunk would at least make it fun). Is Ruby Mohammid going to be on next year's list?

So is it as I fear... everyone listed on the Dead or Alive website on the over 85+ page picked out of a hat (drunk would at least make it fun). Is Ruby Mohammid going to be on next year's list?

Thanks for asking, Misey. No, Ruby Muhammad will likely never darken any future DL's. That was a bad pick.

Thanks for asking, Misey. No, Ruby Muhammad will likely never darken any future DL's. That was a bad pick.

Not necessarily - she has to die at some point, doesn't she?

Forrest J. Ackerman just died.

I will replace him with Bettie Page (who just suffered a heart attack, but knowing the trend for celebrities this year to tease us with their "on the brink of death experience only to come back stronger" (e.g., Morgan Freeman, Kelsey Grammar, Travis Barker, DJ AM, etc.), she will survive).

Betty from Coronation Street.

The actress who plays her is 88 years old, and her younger sister has just died. She is said to be devestated. May finish her off I suppose.

Alternatively, there is also Liz Dawn (remember her?).

Re Betty Turpin

The article states:

Viewers have not seen her for about five months - but Street chiefs are adamant the long-time favourite will return in the New Year.

Sounds like she's still got a purpose to her life, and may well survive a year or two yet.

Vasily Aleksanyan - Very young (36) VP of Yukos oil, now under arrest. After much refusal from Russian authorities, was finally transferred to a hospital after going blind from metastatic cancer and AIDS.

Vasily Aleksanyan has been released from prison on medical grounds...

Vasily Aleksanyan - Very young (36) VP of Yukos oil, now under arrest. After much refusal from Russian authorities, was finally transferred to a hospital after going blind from metastatic cancer and AIDS.

Vasily Aleksanyan has been released from prison on medical grounds...

Very thoughtful, thanks to the Russian authorities. This will - at last - ensure some decent studying of form. I'm guessing he might well see 2009. According to the above report he is still 'suffering,' ie; not 'dying.' Hefty bail has been set as well, suggesting he might have the strength to bolt to the West in search of life-saving treatment.

Bettie Page - American pin-up queen, apparently hospitalized for kidney failure and pneumonia in late 2007/early 2008.

Bettie Page died on December 11, 2008. Her name should be removed from the list as well, along with Leon Febres Cordero.

Bettie Page - American pin-up queen, apparently hospitalized for kidney failure and pneumonia in late 2007/early 2008.

Bettie Page died on December 11, 2008. Her name should be removed from the list as well, along with Leon Febres Cordero.

Are you the sequel to Rain Man?

Perhaps next time there is list making and maintaining to do couldn't we just delegate it to The Unknown Rain Man directly? I think he'd like that.

Working on the update. Removed the deceased names, added Jade Goody, checking to see if anyone living is worth removing before I add more. Here are some updates:

Yes is back on tour, replacing Jon Anderson (who was originally only supposed to be out six months) with, uh, a guy from a Yes cover band.

Max Clifford has been cured of prostate cancer. Removed.

Gene Colan has finally made it out to a couple of events, including this, but I won't remove him quite yet.

While usually clamming up about cancer means that one's demise is near, but in Dom DeLuise's case, he ended up cancer-free. Looks pretty good in the video and I have no reason to doubt it, so removed.

Looking at the New York Times archives from the past year or so, it appears that Kermit Driscoll has been out and about playing (March 2008 example), although I don't know what that means for his Lyme Disease...

As of June 2008, Doug Fieger's cancer is supposedly in remission. Not enough to take him off the list just yet though...

Maybe this was mentioned already, but Trisha Goodard is cancer-free now. Removed.

Candye Kane has been doing better, although not list-removingly so.

Abdul Qadeer Khan has gotten around to writing weekly columns.

Bif Naked seems to be responding well to chemo.

Robert Novak will probably be gone by the end of 2009.

Not really a health update, but Abdullah Ocalan is filing a lawsuit.

Willi Schludecker just can't stop bombing Britain.

Eric Shanteau is now cancer-free and removed from the list.

I have updated the list with the new suggestions to December 19. Tomorrow I will hopefully do a similar 4-way division like last year so that some debate can begin as we get down to the wire!

It's respiratory problems for Anderson, he's not life threateningly ill, is he? Cert obit if he is, since every broadsheet is rammed with male staff old enough to have grown up with prog rock and posh enough to have gone to grammar schools and the kind of unis where prog was the staple background to shags and spliffs.

Re the tribute band singer, Judas Priest did the same thing, taking on Tim 'Ripper' Owens for a while. An event that contributed to the plot of the movie Rock Star.

Oh aye, I can tell yer all riveted but I said I'd cook the wife's tea. Must dash.

Get Lord Roy Mason (former MP) on the 2009 list. He's 85 in April and in very very poor health.

Working on the update. Removed the deceased names, added Jade Goody, checking to see if anyone living is worth removing before I add more. Here are some updates:

While usually clamming up about cancer means that one's demise is near, but in Dom DeLuise's case, he ended up cancer-free. Looks pretty good in the video and I have no reason to doubt it, so removed.

Looking at the New York Times archives from the past year or so, it appears that Kermit Driscoll has been out and about playing (March 2008 example), although I don't know what that means for his Lyme Disease...

As of June 2008, Doug Fieger's cancer is supposedly in remission. Not enough to take him off the list just yet though...

Maybe this was mentioned already, but Trisha Goodard is cancer-free now. Removed.

Thanks for this, CP.

None of the above were chosen by me for my already entered DDP team, (albeit deLuise I mused about), but it's good to know that some are recovered - both from a humanity point of view & updating. I've missed these updates - what with DDT's cancer "DOOM" postings, it's ncie to have the other side too.

A day late, but here it is. The following people and their illnesses/frailties are listed in full detail in the first post of this thread. To allow for ease of review by the DL committee, I have divided them into four categories and left only their names. More information can be found in the first post. Anyone's free to yell and scream at me to move people around, as it's all very subjective. Also, "questionable fame" does not mean that I think the person isn't "famous". Rather, it corresponds to whether or not I think the person will get a proper UK obit.

For reference, one day short of a year from the last list:

19 (Amte, Christodoulos, Clarke, Diddley, Drnovsek, Felt, Getty, Griffiths, Helms, Heston, Hillary, Moore, Pollack, Pym, St. Laurent, Snow, Stubbs, Thompson and Widmark) of 36 from Famous Enough and Sick Enough are dead and all got suitable DDP/DL obits.

16 (Butz, Cordero, DeBakey, Delannoy, Hewer, Hill, Hinckley, Hofmann, Lamb, Mamo, Mileson, Page, Singh, Solzhenitsyn, Suharto, and Utzon) of 113 from Famous Enough but Risky are dead. I believe that all got suitable DDP/DL obits... Butz got one in the Guardian at least, can't remember if he got a BBC one or not...

10 (Dread, Healey, James, Manekshaw, Pausch, Phelps, Plews, Shum, Vadhana and Wittman) of 31 from Questionable Fame but Sick Enough are dead. Phelps and Wittman didn't get proper DDP obits.

9 (Bith, al-Sabah, Federici, Greenman, Hacker, Juran, McCann, Simplot and Whitney) of 32 from Questionable Fame and Risky are dead. I think that they all got obits, but most had to wait a bit.

So with all that, here's my analysis for next year:

Famous Enough and Sick Enough

José Alencar

Muhammad Ali

Seve Ballesteros

Melissa Bell

Ronnie Biggs

Paul Birch

Basil D'Oliveira

Michael Foot (maybe not sick enough, but who can risk missing out on the obvious tagline here???)

Betty Ford

Billy Graham

Hugh Hopper

Eunice Kennedy

Ted Kennedy

Peter MacBeth

Edwin Morgan

Robert Novak

Patriarch Pavle

Nancy Reagan

Wendy Richard

Bobby Robson

Yitzhak Shamir

Ariel Sharon

Sargent Shriver

Mike Soper

Patrick Swayze

Margaret Thatcher (maybe not as sick as most, but certainly wouldn't be a good one to miss)

Tsien Hsue-shen

Nicholas Winton

Norman Wisdom

Famous Enough but Risky

Steven Adler

Jon Anderson

Patty Andrews

Corazon Aquino

Shoko Asahara

HRH Jean Benoit Guillaume Robert Antoine Louis Marie Adolphe Marc d'Aviano

Bob Barker

Martin Bashir

Captain Beefheart

Jean-Paul Belmondo

Harold John Blackham

Ray Bradbury

Ian Brady

Ivor Broadis

Elliott Carter

Fidel Castro

Frederick Chiluba

Jacques Chirac

Ronald Coase

Natalie Cole

Robbie Coltrane

Liz Dawn

Elizabeth Gladys Milvinia Dean

Del Deanus

John Demjanjuk

Phyllis Diller

Fats Domino

Kirk Douglas

Roy Douglas

The Duke of Wellington

Patricia Dunn

Roger Ebert

Blake Edwards

Peter Falk

Farrah Fawcett

Eddie Fisher

Andy Fordham

Annette Funicello

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Terri Garr

Paul Gascoigne

Vo Nguyen Giap

Vitaly Ginzburg

Jade Goody

Larry Hagman

Abu Hamza al-Muhajir

Václav Havel

João Havelange

Stephen Hawking

Johannes Heesters

Alex Higgins

Lena Horne

Ian Huntley

Alan Igglesden

Ronald Isley

Sir Ludovic Kennedy

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

Abdul Qadeer Khan

Edgar Ray Killen

B.B. King

Jack Klugman

Girija Prasad Koirala

Bruce Langhorne

Ian Lavender

Claude Levi-Strauss

Jerry Lewis

Dai Llewellyn

Greg Louganis

Bernard Lovell

Patrick Manning

Iain McColl

Mitch Miller

Dom Mintoff

Bobby Moncour

Rita Levi Montalcini

Patrick Moore

John Mortimer

Robert Mugabe

Pervez Musharraf

Oscar Niemeyer

Teodoro Obiang Nguema

Isabel Peron

Chapman Pincher

Rosemary Pitman

Terry Pratchett

Erich Priebke

Tul Bahadur Pun

Luise Rainer

Peter Quaife

Oral Roberts

Arthur Robinson

Dora Jessie Saint

Than Shwe

King Norodom Sihanouk

Karen Sinclair

Sir Cyril Smith

Maggie Smith

Arlen Specter

George Steinbrenner

Mel Sterland

Gloria Stuart

Zeljko Sturanovic

Samak Sundaravej

Nyanasamvara Suvaddhana

Charles Taylor

Elizabeth Taylor

Jeremy Thorpe

Chris Todd

Edward Upward

Abigail Van Buren

Roy Ward Baker

Kurt Westergaard

Gough Whitlam

Maurice Vincent Wilkes

Willard Wirtz

Questionable Fame but Sick Enough

Vasily Aleksanyan

Alfonso Antoniozzi

Susan Atkins

Rabbi Philip Berg

Nusrat Bhutto

Leila Denmark

Sara Douglass

Peter Dula

Melvin Dummar

Dominick Dunne

Elizabeth Edwards

Mary Ejercito

Karl Frenzel

Charles E. Friedgood

Syed Ali Shah Geelani

Daniel Geiges

Hazel Hawke

Genaro Hernandez

Derryn Hinch

Candye Kane

George Kimball

Victor H. Krulak

David Marshall

Roy Morison

Ndaye Mulamba

Vice Marshal Jo Myong-rok

David Piper

Jack Ramsay

Ron Santo

Bob Sheppard

Leonard Skinner

Chuck Strahl

Zdravko Tolimir

Kevin White

Ji Xianlin

Questionable Fame and Risky

Martin Allen

Francisco Ayala

Frances Bay

Stefano Borgonovo

Ernesto Fonseca Carrillo

Nuon Chea

Jack Chick

Lei Clijsters

Hank Cochran

Gene Colan

Joe Cook

James Joseph Dresnok

Kermit Driscoll

Devi Dura

Doug Fieger

Rob Grill

Dolores Hope

John Keel

Barbara Kent

Jim Koerber

Bobby Knoxall

Paul Kraus

Simon Mann

Ann Maxwell

Shih Ming-te

Berniece Baker Miracle

Fehmi Naji

Bif Naked

Roy Neuberger

Abdullah Öcalan

Hiroo Onoda

Barry Penner

Sonia Peres

Ieng Sary

Willi Schludecker

Dan Seals

Riad Seif

Malcolm Simmons

Joe Simon

Crystal Lee Sutton

Michelle Triola

Earl Wild

Jan Wilson

Rabbi Ovadia Yosef

You are a very skilled analysist. All of the names are in their proper categories and it's very generous of you to exhibit this for all to study. I was going to do it the other night but I figured that I would wait. It's pretty accurate.

Just a thought.

The way things are going on in Zimbabwe, we should probably consider Morgan Tsvangirai. He could be the next Bhutto (but hopefully tthe timing will be in our favour this year).