Canadian Paul

Deathlist 2011

Nice job with the list. One suggestion is that I think Coase (being a Nobel laureate) would be famous enough; but it really isn't a big deal either way.

Just a thought.

The way things are going on in Zimbabwe, we should probably consider Morgan Tsvangirai. He could be the next Bhutto (but hopefully tthe timing will be in our favour this year).

He has a thread hereabouts Windsor, I could be made to regret this but.....

I think Mugabe is so far towards the exit door that Tsvangirai is relatively safe, safer than he was a year ago anyway. The point being that it's not like Benazir Bhutto where a strong candidate to take power was killed in the hope of hanging onto power. The point here is that Mugabe is likely to go whether or not his potential successor(s) are killed, so really it makes little difference. Politically, Tsangirai and Makoni (who came third in the fixed race) are not too far apart and most of those who might stand in another election are similar anyway. Everyone wants increased foreign trade, inward investment, more public works and rebuilding of the essential services, and a hefty wedge of foreign cash salted away in his own bank account, or summat.

You are a very skilled analysist. All of the names are in their proper categories and it's very generous of you to exhibit this for all to study. I was going to do it the other night but I figured that I would wait. It's pretty accurate.

And I was going to run a 9.69 hundred metres at the Olympics, but I figured I'd let Usain Bolt do it instead. He's pretty fast.

Lansana Conte - President of Guinea, Assassination likely, but also in chronic ill-health. His choice of sticking it out, rather than retiring will surely hasten his demise.

Lansana Conte has died.

Don't know how accurate this can be, but sounds serious. Jacko for 2009? http://www.insidebayarea.com/entertainment/ci_11285459

I don't know why, but I'm calling total bullshit on this one.

Lately, the media has been fueling tabloids of celebrities being in near death when it turns out it wasn't exactly the case (e.g., Patrick Swayze, Elizabeth Taylor, now Jacko).

Well, that's it folks, no more suggestions. The coven has gathered, the gavel has been banged, the pints have been served and the meeting is in session.

I don't think Gazza's going to make it. The list, not the meeting.

Nice job with the list. One suggestion is that I think Coase (being a Nobel laureate) would be famous enough; but it really isn't a big deal either way.

I agree, particularly given that he's a British laureate and the fact that I've yet to see a Nobel Laureate not get a "proper" obit... (I think?)

Anyhow, Wilson and Pinter have been removed as well.

Guest tkapp

i believe patrick swayze will have his last dirty dance in 2009. he is lucky to still be alive today with how bad of shape he is in.

I moved Dai Llewellyn to Famous but risky, since apparentely he's doing better for himself since dropping the drink. If you're really desperate, though, you could always go for Mary Lundby. She's even got her own Wikipedia page.

What were the obit requirements for the HDP again? :)

What were the obit requirements for the HDP again? :)

For the purpose of the game a "celebrity" is someone well-enough known to get their death mentioned in the UK national press or on the BBC news website. Or anywhere else Notapotato's heavily-prejudiced mind considers a reliable, respectable source of international news. In the event of disagreement as to the celebrity of any individual or the validity of an obituary, Notapotato's word is final.

It's a toughie then, I'd say it's 50/50 as to whether the BBC web site will report her death under the Americas section. The Wiki entry below covers her local fame but she'd - just about - be newsworthy in the UK for the somewhat public manner of her death. DDP and HPDP don't allow in CNN or NY Times obits, which would be guaranteed points in her case.

Mary Adelaide Lundby (born February 2, 1948) is a Senator from the 18th District. She has served in the Iowa Senate since 1995, serving as Minority Leader from 2006-2007 and as Co-Majority Leader in 2006. She also served in the Iowa House of Representatives from 1987-1995, serving as Speaker pro Tempore from 1992-1994. Prior to her election to the Iowa House, Lundby had served as the co-chair of the Linn County Republican party, as a member of the Linn County Republican Central Committee, and as staff assistant to then-senator Roger Jepsen.

Lundby currently serves on several committees in the Iowa Senate - the Government Oversight committee; the Natural Resources and Environment committee; and the Rules and Administration committee.

Lundby was re-elected in 2004 with 20,686 votes (60%), defeating Democratic opponent Lorna Richards. [1] Lundby has announced that she will not run for re-election in 2008, opting to run for Linn County supervisor instead.[2]

I wasn't being serious, hence the :) . But I doubt that even if NAP did count CNN and the NYT that she'd get the proper obit; she's not so illustrious that either one would give a damn.

Besides, I haven't had a dream about her (yet); I'm sticking with my Dream Team thing for the HDP.

Dutch actress Josine van Dalsum. Has been battling brain tumors for some years. Seemed to survive them until the end of 2008, when the illness came back with a vengeance. Her last performance she couldn't finish.

Easy target. Seems to be in the last stages...

It's a toughie then, I'd say it's 50/50 as to whether the BBC web site will report her death under the Americas section. The Wiki entry below covers her local fame but she'd - just about - be newsworthy in the UK for the somewhat public manner of her death. DDP and HPDP don't allow in CNN or NY Times obits, which would be guaranteed points in her case.

Mary Adelaide Lundby (born February 2, 1948) is a Senator from the 18th District.

An Iowa state senator (note for non-Americans, this is not the same as being a US senator or congressman) won't make the English media when she goes. That selection CP, for DL purposes, would be considered the lowest of the low hanging fruit. Tomato-esque even. But as a DDP candidate, she sounds a very safe bet, so good luck.

DDP rules, in other words this would hinge on her getting onto the BBC News site. I'm guessing she could be 2009's Don Wittman.

"Celebrity" means someone who, upon their death, gets a written obituary in a British national newspaper or on the BBC News website. This does mean that you can't always be sure when picking your team whether each person will be famous enough or not, but that's all part of the game.

"Obituary" simply means an article which mentions the fact that the person has died. It doesn't have to be the conventional biographical write-up.

DDP rules, in other words this would hinge on her getting onto the BBC News site. I'm guessing she could be 2009's Don Wittman.

"Celebrity" means someone who, upon their death, gets a written obituary in a British national newspaper or on the BBC News website. This does mean that you can't always be sure when picking your team whether each person will be famous enough or not, but that's all part of the game.

"Obituary" simply means an article which mentions the fact that the person has died. It doesn't have to be the conventional biographical write-up.

Yes, I suspect you more than the other DDP competitors are wary of such low hanging fruit Maryport. You certainly got your hands burnt. Still, you take a chance and see what happens. Did James L. Bevel get a pukka obit BTW?

Mary Adelaide Lundby (born February 2, 1948) is a Senator from the 18th District.

An Iowa state senator (note for non-Americans, this is not the same as being a US senator or congressman) won't make the English media when she goes. That selection CP, for DL purposes, would be considered the lowest of the low hanging fruit. Tomato-esque even. But as a DDP candidate, she sounds a very safe bet, so good luck.

Again, it was not at all a serious suggestion, merely a jab at replacing one low-hanging fruit with an ever lower one :) . Looking at the list of the lost on the DDP, at least half of them, Wittman included MPFC, are almost unquestionably more famous than she. If was serious about using her as a DDP candidate, I certainly wouldn't have posted her here.

TMIB: I haven't seen a Bevel obit, and I've been paying a bit of attention; has made me decide not to go with the likes of Dominick Dunne or Fred Shuttlesworth, neither of which have ever had any UK coverage. Got no secret candidates this year; it's fun being in the Top 5, but I want a round where all my fruit is at least mid-level... Vasily Aleksanyan is about as low as my fruit hangs (and I'm not even 100% on him), and even he's had BBC coverage...

Vasily Aleksanyan was mentioned at DL committee 2009.

Just a question, (possibly answered before but I'll ask nonetheless) why are obits restricted to British newspapers or websites? Just because someone is famous in other countries doesn't rule out a nomination, does it?

Just a question, (possibly answered before but I'll ask nonetheless) why are obits restricted to British newspapers or websites? Just because someone is famous in other countries doesn't rule out a nomination, does it?

its a uk based game so you have to factor that in.

Victor H. Krulak - American Lieutenant General who told JFK that the Vietnam War was winnable, causing it to escalate. Despite being 95 and in poor health, an obit is far from assured.

Victor H. Krulak is dead.

its a uk based game so you have to factor that in.

Most of the deadpools referenced on here are UK based, and their owners and operators have to put time in to verify some obits. The Hartelpool Deadlypool does have the following rule:

2. For the purpose of the game a "celebrity" is someone well-enough known to get their death mentioned in the UK national press or on the BBC news website. Or anywhere else Notapotato's heavily-prejudiced mind considers a reliable, respectable source of international news. In the event of disagreement as to the celebrity of any individual or the validity of an obituary, Notapotato's word is final.

So you could risk the ailing Iowa lawmaker and then argue the toss if the NY Times (highly possible) or CNN report it online.

Canadian Paul's deadpool offers a good compromise for the globally aware with a few added bonuses for Canadians, like any online news source based in Canada counting for an obit, or a bonus point for any Canadian pick on your teams.

There are other deadpools around the world, especially in the USA who do things differently.

Paul Birch - English footy player, now suffering from bone cancer

Update on Paul Birch. Not looking good for the former Exeter City midfielder (who also turned out for no hopers Aston Villa and Wolves)

Paul is very ill in hospital...He has been undergoing a lot of chemotherapy but there is only so much the body can take at a time before the body has to try itself and that is the stage Paul is at now.

Certainly this is the longest spell he has spent in hospital since he was diagnosed last year.

Natalie Cole is to undergo a kidney transplant operation next month, after her sister agreed to be a donor. She is reported (by the National Enquirer) to be too weak to have the operation right now.

Another BS "OH my god, this celebrity is gonna have an imminent death!" article by the National Enquirer.

Do these guys have anything better to do? They said the same thing about Michael Jackson, et. al.

I guess like the death poolers here, ordinary folks have a thing for celebrities dying so the National Enquirer figures that printing articles boldly saying that a celebrity is about to inevitably die soon (when it's obviously not the case) is a sure way of seller copies.