Anubis the Jackal

Country For Old Men (And Women)

Joe Diffie, a consistent country-music hitmaker throughout the Nineties, died Sunday due to complications related to COVID-19. His publicist confirmed the death to Rolling Stone. Diffie was 61.

With a traditional-leaning voice that drew comparisons to George Jones, Diffie populated his records with honky-tonk ballads and lighthearted novelty tunes, earning the Oklahoma native five Number One singles in the first half of the Nineties. These began with his debut release, the deeply moving “Home,” followed by “If the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets),” “Third Rock From the Sun,” “Pickup Man,” and “Bigger Than the Beatles.” In all, Diffie charted 18 Top Ten singles, with the majority reaching the Top Five, including the 1993 radio staples “Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox (If I Die)” and “John Deere Green.”

SC

• Like 1

On 29/03/2020 at 23:46, Sir Creep said:

Joe Diffie, a consistent country-music hitmaker throughout the Nineties, died Sunday due to complications related to COVID-19. His publicist confirmed the death to Rolling Stone. Diffie was 61.

With a traditional-leaning voice that drew comparisons to George Jones, Diffie populated his records with honky-tonk ballads and lighthearted novelty tunes, earning the Oklahoma native five Number One singles in the first half of the Nineties. These began with his debut release, the deeply moving “Home,” followed by “If the Devil Danced (In Empty Pockets),” “Third Rock From the Sun,” “Pickup Man,” and “Bigger Than the Beatles.” In all, Diffie charted 18 Top Ten singles, with the majority reaching the Top Five, including the 1993 radio staples “Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox (If I Die)” and “John Deere Green.”

SC

Touching tribute here. :mellow:

• Haha 6
  • Facepalm 1

Classy, Heather.  :glare:

2 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Sounds like a lot of touching in that tribute.

Apparently she thought better of it, as the tweet is presently unavailable.
SC

Perhaps people were suggesting reasons why he didn't call her back.  :evil2:

4 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Account name and profile pic are from a murder victim who was killed in 2015-2016 IIRC the date correctly :rant:

• Shocked 1

Harold Reid, singer for the Statler Brothers is dead at 80.

Hope he didn’t spend all this time just counting flowers on the wall...

Report of death of Jimmy Capps, seemingly well respected Grand Ole Opry guitarist who played guitar on such hits as Stand By Your Man by Tammy Wynette and The Gambler by Kenny Rogers:

20 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of death of Jimmy Capps, seemingly well respected Grand Ole Opry guitarist who played guitar on such hits as Stand By Your Man by Tammy Wynette and The Gambler by Kenny Rogers:

Jimmy Capps obit: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/jimmy-capps-grand-ole-opry-guitar-dead-obit-1009029/

5 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2020-06-08/james-hands-gone-to-heaven-at-age-67/

67 year old country and western singer and songwriter James Hand has died aged 67.

Is it just me or does this genre seem to be losing a lot of people this year proportionately or in above average numbers?

Damn! It was already written!

• Haha 1

Mess with the devil, he still got his soul...

19 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I believe that’s a solo hit in Scavenger Hunt  for Mr Creep.  Just to annoy that DP further.

You do realize that it ended about a week ago or so, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Haha 6

Bluegrass musician Steve Gulley has died: 

Surely I’m not the only one who noted him for other pools.  

• Like 1

Lucille Starr, the first female Canadian country music singer to sell one million records, the first Canadian woman to be inducted into the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame and the first Canadian woman to perform at Nashville's famous Grand Ole Opry, has died. She was 82.  I suppose the epitaph writes itself.  (In Kenny Rogers voice: "You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille.")

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/lucille-starr-country-music-manitoba-1.5714448

• Like 3

On 07/08/2011 at 13:45, notaguest said:

Johnny Cashs old backing group the Tennessee Two has just become the Tenessee One with the death of Marshall Grant

edit: actually its the Tennesse None because Luther Perkins iis also dead

The Tennessee Two became the Tennessee Three in 1960 when WS Holland joined it, however, he's dead at 85, taking it down to the Tennessee Two.

EDIT: Actually it's the Tennessee None because Marshall Grant and Luther Perkins are dead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 23:16, ajlposh said:

Mac Davis is critically ill following heart surgery

Report that Mac Davis is dead:

Another one for @Ulitzer95 on the Singles Thread if true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1