Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

The atmosphere of a silent room with a high-definition flat screen plasma TV must really get some of us excited. Is it those.. timeless films which electrify us or is it that dramatic sporting event which provokes us to rejoice very loudly?

Is it CNN or the BBC for news unlimited? Do we prefer a gameshow that gives us the anxiety we need? Have we taken up the concept of Reality TV or do we realize how artificial it is? It might be a documentary or it might be a concert or a parade .. or you might not really watch the TV but you keep it on just to waste time.

I watch TV occasionally. I always have this habit of finding an ancient film and then guessing the year it was made.

• Like 1

Guest Speshial

Couches hey, I prefer windows.

The atmosphere of a silent room with a high-definition flat screen plasma TV must really get some of us excited. Is it those.. timeless films which electrify us or is it that dramatic sporting event which provokes us to rejoice very loudly?
Silent room, eh? So you have the boobely tube all hooked up and haven't turned it on? And no, it doesn't get me excited.

Is it CNN or the BBC for news unlimited? Do we prefer a gameshow that gives us the anxiety we need? Have we taken up the concept of Reality TV or do we realize how artificial it is? It might be a documentary or it might be a concert or a parade .. or you might not really watch the TV but you keep it on just to waste time.
I watch whatever I watch. The only reality show to watch is the weight loss one The Biggest Loser. It took me a while to grasp the concept of people leaving their homes for a long time just so some whacked out trainer could yell and scream at them about how they needed to get their life in order. The results sometimes being good and sometimes frightful. I must admit I wasn't thirlled by the latest season and was so not into it, I didn't even have my ritual gallon of ice cream each week while viewing. All was good in the end as Michelle won.

I enjoy Fox News especially the Mike Huckabee show and Bill O'Reilly never fails to amuse.

Can't really tolerate game shows, they're so obviously rigged.

Except during the bi-monthly pledge drives I watch Nova weekly, somethimes twice, first on 13 and then on 21 a couple of days latre.

I tend to go from channel to channel searching for something exciting-----it's been torture since this 24 hour a day prgramming stuff got popular----they no longer show the joyous test pattern.

I watch TV occasionally. I always have this habit of finding an ancient film and then guessing the year it was made.

I usually just check the handy listing guide to figure the year-----it makes it so much easier.

TV sucks most of the time, though I thought Wallender was a decent drama. Went to a dinner party last night after watching Carlisle lose and I was the only person there who didn't give a sh*t about Strictly Come Dancing meaning all the others insisted on watching that preening frothy shite.

17 million watched it, apparently, so clearly it's me that has the problem.

TV sucks most of the time, though I thought Wallender was a decent drama. Went to a dinner party last night after watching Carlisle lose and I was the only person there who didn't give a sh*t about Strictly Come Dancing meaning all the others insisted on watching that preening frothy shite.

No, you and me both. Mrs Godot wanted to watch it so I went to read a book while the Godettes all fled too. Then she started to sulk because she was on her tod and said she wasn't bothered about watching the later bit so I began watching the NASA space programme documentary on another channel (excellent) while she opened her book. But unbeknownst to me she was getting in to a fair old lather because she really did want to watch the dancing and I was supposed to know this. So I'm in the doghouse today simply because I do not possess the powers of telepathy.

I don't just dislike SCD, I cannot stand it, particularly those jumped up judges. In fact I hate all talent shows with a venom, all celebrity shows, all "vote-off" TV, anything featuring Anne Robinson, and Eggheads, particularly CJ de Mooi who is an arse of the highest order. That probably leaves the news, the weather, documentaries, films and sport. I can't stand most of the films they show, don't like weather forecasts without isobars, am not that keen on the BBC News and don't much care for Match of The Day anymore so settle for West Wing re-runs on the video most of the time.

Arranging dinner parties around the TV is one for room 101 as far as I'm concerned. For an alternative entertainment you should have told them some of your tasteful jokes MPFC.

Silent room, eh?

The legendary Bruno Brimley. I admit that myself and others never fail to find your observations of life both comical and amusing. Once upon a time this forum had an attitude to it. It had personalities. I'm not saying that we still do not have contributers who operate on many different levels but this this forum is certainly lacking character.

If Deathlist was a TV show it would be lower in the ratings than it was two years ago. People have changed the channel around here. Me, I live. Yes, I've changed throughout the years. I'm getting older and older all of time. You know, someday the show might get cancelled. Someday that screen might go blank. For now, it continues.

No, you and me both. Mrs Godot wanted to watch it so I went to read a book while the Godettes all fled too. Then she started to sulk because she was on her tod and said she wasn't bothered about watching the later bit so I began watching the NASA space programme documentary on another channel (excellent) while she opened her book. But unbeknownst to me she was getting in to a fair old lather because she really did want to watch the dancing and I was supposed to know this. So I'm in the doghouse today simply because I do not possess the powers of telepathy.

I don't just dislike SCD, I cannot stand it, particularly those jumped up judges. In fact I hate all talent shows with a venom, all celebrity shows, all "vote-off" TV, anything featuring Anne Robinson, and Eggheads, particularly CJ de Mooi who is an arse of the highest order. That probably leaves the news, the weather, documentaries, films and sport. I can't stand most of the films they show, don't like weather forecasts without isobars, am not that keen on the BBC News and don't much care for Match of The Day anymore so settle for West Wing re-runs on the video most of the time.

Arranging dinner parties around the TV is one for room 101 as far as I'm concerned. For an alternative entertainment you should have told them some of your tasteful jokes MPFC.

I'm another that didn't watch SCD, instead I kicked someone's ass at Trivial Pursuit, much more gratifying. I agree about the general state of television, there is hardly anything I watch on a regular basis, the only things that spring to mind are Top Gear, Have I Got News For You, Mock the Week - now and again something good might come up on the terrestrial channels but my TV is usually on one of the documentary channels or the old comedy channels, if it hasn't been commandeered by my 11 year old watching Australian or American sickly teenage bilge. I agree about CJ, the mere sight of him makes my ovaries shrivel in utter disdain. I'm not really into sport, apart from F1, never have time to sit and watch a whole film, and read the news and weather on the internet. If I'm honest I don't really know why I've got a telly, I probably wouldn't miss it.

On the other hand a 6th series of Shameless was, apparently, filmed earlier this year for 2009 broadcast. That'll almost certainly be worth the bother.

I have a TV, mainly, because I've got a DVD player and I'm planning to watch summat in front of a roaring fire tonight. 'Derailroaded' a documentary about Larry 'Wild Man' Fischer, manic depressive paranoid schitzophrenic titan of 'Outsider Music' or summat. Seen it once but the Voice of Young Maryport was enquiring whether we might watch it together, how could I refuse?

....particularly CJ de Mooi who is an arse of the highest order.

I agree entirely. What made the recent Egghead qualifier series more watchable was the contestants choosing their preferred Egghead, round after round. As back in those school playground days, the wimp would often be chosen last (ie CJ or Daphne). I bet his ego suffers EVERY time (hooray).

Anyhow, good news.....isn't CJ the Egghead being replaced?

On the other hand a 6th series of Shameless was, apparently, filmed earlier this year for 2009 broadcast. That'll almost certainly be worth the bother.

I have a TV, mainly, because I've got a DVD player and I'm planning to watch summat in front of a roaring fire tonight. 'Derailroaded' a documentary about Larry 'Wild Man' Fischer, manic depressive paranoid schitzophrenic titan of 'Outsider Music' or summat. Seen it once but the Voice of Young Maryport was enquiring whether we might watch it together, how could I refuse?

You spoil your kids rotten.

I'm a West Cumbrian, with a job and a telly. Spoil 'em! I'm royalty I am.

I'm a West Cumbrian, with a job and a telly. Spoil 'em! I'm royalty I am.

Send 'em here and I'll really spoil them. :)

A strange case of one child who should have been watching telly closely.

Nothing on YouTube yet, but there was a classic mother and daughter exchange between Barbara and Denise over Barbara's recipe for gravy in the Royle Family at Christmas.

Denise: How do you make gravy?

Barbara: Well, you get an Oxo cube, take the silver paper off, put it in a bowl and pour on boiling water.

Denise: Do you have to stir it?

Barbara: Yes you have to stir it.

Denise: You wouldn't write it down would you?

Later, over Christmas dinner, someone mentions that Elvis Presley died on the toilet.

Jim: "You wouldn't credit it - all those number ones, and it was a number two that killed him."

• Like 1

Nothing on YouTube yet, but there was a classic mother and daughter exchange between Barbara and Denise over Barbara's recipe for gravy in the Royle Family at Christmas.

Barbara: Well, you get an Oxo cube, take the silver paper off, put it in a bowl and pour on boiling water.

Later, over Christmas dinner, someone mentions that Elvis Presley died on the toilet.

Jim: "You wouldn't credit it - all those number ones, and it was a number two that killed him."

:)

Not Christmassy, but my favourite Jim Royle quote is 'I paid a quid for these underpants, and I've got fifty pence worth stuck up me arse'. A quote I use on a regular basis.

This was one of the very few programs I watched over Christmas - it was excellent (and I never really watched the series to be honest) - Dave's management buy-out is still making me laugh!

DWB :)

Anybody watch Star Stories? I came to it a tad late but the Heather Mills one was the Dogs testicles and Kate Moss was pulled to pieces.

Quality!

Anybody watch Star Stories? I came to it a tad late but the Heather Mills one was the Dogs testicles and Kate Moss was pulled to pieces.

Quality!

I skyplus it, simply because I want to shag Kevin Bishop. And it's very funny, too.

Has anyone else been watching this new (mini-)series of 24 then? (which in fact is only going to be 12 episodes long for those who don't know.)

I saw the first 2 episodes last night and I thought they were shockingly entertaining compared to how dull the last couple of "proper" seasons of the show were. Good stuff, hope they keep it up.

Has anyone else been watching this new (mini-)series of 24 then? (which in fact is only going to be 12 episodes long for those who don't know.)

I saw the first 2 episodes last night and I thought they were shockingly entertaining compared to how dull the last couple of "proper" seasons of the show were. Good stuff, hope they keep it up.

Nope, not me, thanks for asking.
  • Like 2

For the most part I reckon TV over-rated and repetitive. But I'm genuinely looking forward to Happy Valley on BBC One tonight which was - kind of - gritty and northern in the first two episodes but promises (supposedly) to get really dark in the opening moments. The only two dramas I've watched avidly throughout are Breaking Bad and Shamless. Though the second of those had some desperate plot twists that did it no long-term favours. I'm hoping Happy Valley delivers on similarly dark depths, or summat.

The best thing on television by a mile are the pithy descriptions of BBC Four shows availible with the i button on Freeview.

Are you dissing/mocking BBC4? The descriptions I get on the Sky "i button" are very normal. Are you sure you aren't reading some sarcasm that isn't really there?

Anyway there was a great documentary about the history of shitters on it last night so leave BBC4 alone.

DISSING the write ups available on Freeview for BBC Four programmes? Far from it. Works of utter genius, likely penned by a man who - in any just and fair society - would have earned the recognition he truly deserved as a grunge rock musician. I wonder if other posters/DLCon attendees have an opinion on this.

• Like 1

Just unplugged the Freeview box, No new Doctor Who until the Autumn.

I don't have a telly :) , but I saw this was broadcast last night..

Fuckin Hell, what a bunch o' cocksockets.

Yet on another level, I can almost admire their offensiveness , something I can only aspire too......

• Like 1