Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 12:51, Toast said:

I've just binged Killing Eve.  I loved it!  Violent in a comic book sort of way, lots of black humour and not to be taken seriously.

I wasn't overly impressed with the first episode. Is it worth sticking with? 

2 hours ago, Handrejka said:

I wasn't overly impressed with the first episode. Is it worth sticking with? 

Caveat: My opinion only.

Yes, if you like black humour. No if that passes you by.

I didn't much like The Night Manager and am not enthused by Bodyguard either. But I'm enjoying this.

I've been trying to figure out exactly why......

Simply put as best I can, I abhor obvious plot holes in 'aiming to be at least semi serious' drama. For instance the bodyguards job is to bodyguard, not leave his charge once he's out of sight of the sniper and go charging into the building in pursuit. It's daft and grates. There are plenty of other instances, too much to say about the blank in the gun for instance....oh and all sorts of other things that could have been done right with no real detriment to the story. It's contemptuous and condescending to your audience.

Killing Eve is more like 'Grosse Point Blank' or such. It isn't really about the plot as such, although there is one, it's more about the interplay between the characters. Thus I at least am not nearly so bothered about plot holes or the accuracy regards reality. It's not meant to be 'real life' whereas an element of the first two is supposedly believable, and grates when it isn't.

ymmv.

• Like 1

I do like black humour. I wouldn't have spent thirteen years on this site if I didn't,  and Grosse Point  Blank is a favourite of mine, but Killing Eve just didn't grab me I'm afraid. I quite liked the bits with Sandra Oh and  Fiona Shaw but Jodie Comer's petulant face and not as good as she thinks it is Russian accent put me off. If there is a twist and Comer's character is killed off in the next episode I'll give it a go.   

9 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I do like black humour. I wouldn't have spent thirteen years on this site if I didn't

A fair point well made :lol:.

Wasn't suggesting you didn't. As much as anything I was simply typing it out to work out in my head why I don't much care for the other two. It's been bugging me that I seem unable to manage the requisite suspension of disbelief that so many reviews say I and others like me are apparently lacking. And having typed it, might as well post it :rolleyes:.

ETA: and no, Jodie Comer irritates me a bit too. It's more the deadpan Fiona Shaw and I'm quite fond of David Haig in this as well (quite different from the only other place I remember him, running a brewery in some old episode of Dalziel and Pascoe i think it was)

I only tuned in because Comer was in it!

Fiona Shaw is great in this, and there is also a very young actress in the final episode who almost steals the entire show.

But if you don't like Villanelle you probably aren't going to enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

I loved the Night Manager and can't wait for the next series of Line of Duty.

Strangely, for me, I have not seen the Bodyguard and only watched the very last series of Broadchurch, which was pretty good.

I'm just finding that there is a lot of stuff on and not enough hours to watch it all.

52 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I do like black humour. I wouldn't have spent thirteen years on this site if I didn't,  and Grosse Point  Blank is a favourite of mine, but Killing Eve just didn't grab me I'm afraid. I quite liked the bits with Sandra Oh and  Fiona Shaw but Jodie Comer's petulant face and not as good as she thinks it is Russian accent put me off. If there is a twist and Comer's character is killed off in the next episode I'll give it a go.   

You are just hard to please, aren't you Handy.:lol:

2 hours ago, Handrejka said:

not as good as she thinks it is Russian accent put me off.

Well, the character is Russian, but her nationality isn't revealed until about halfway through.  She is seen operating in different countries and she appears to have a command of several languages, so it may be intentionally ambiguous.

At least it's better than Sandra Oh's English accent - oh wait .....

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You are just hard to please, aren't you Handy.:lol:

Not really, but when something's been hyped up to the extent that Killing Eve has, I expect it to live up to the hype and it didn't quite for me.   Theoretically, it should have been right up my street but it didn't quite work for me. 

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

Well, the character is Russian, but her nationality isn't revealed until about halfway through.  She is seen operating in different countries and she appears to have a command of several languages, so it may be intentionally ambiguous.

At least it's better than Sandra Oh's English accent - oh wait .....

You've got me there. I didn't realise she was meant to be English.  Actually I didn't realise the other one was meant to be Russian had the subtitles don't told me. 

1 minute ago, Handrejka said:

Not really, but when something's been hyped up to the extent that Killing Eve has, I expect it to live up to the hype and it didn't quite for me.   Theoretically, it should have been right up my street but it didn't quite work for me. 

I get that.

I felt the same about Broadchurch, I didn't bother with it till the last series and , yes, it was good but the way people talked the whole series up you would have assumed that it was the greatest piece of TV ever made.

Sandra Oh is Canadian.

Sorry for stating the obvious....:ph34r:

There's a shoehorned-in line that explains that Eve was born in the UK and then her family moved to Connecticut when she was very young, and she later came back.

In other words, Sandra Oh can't do the accent.

'.....the public poured their hearts out to a host of celebrities when the stars took over a call centre.

Famous faces also including Countdown’s Rachel Riley...'

Wouldn't be the first time that Rachel Riley has helped men release a few built up stresses and tensions. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Deathray said:

JESUS

FUCKING

CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also why the fuck can't we go above 72 or below 8 anymore with font size? Arseholes. 

You can

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, the_engineer said:

We've reached alan partridge levels of ideas for TV shows.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/celebrity-call-centre-reality-show-13296445

Nah, this is nowhere near that Monkey Tennis moment.

You forget, as we all should, Gillian McKeith rummaging around in human excrement ( Richard Blackwoods IIRC) in the name of, well, fuck knows really.

Also, Feud is getting repeated on BBC4 on Sunday and so will be on the Iplayer if you were interested and hadn't found it on torrent or what not ages ago.

Day off today. Bargain Hunt isn't my kind of daytime show, but on today's episode the expert bought a mould for making busts of none other than 4-time DL name Barbara Castle!

Paid £65 for it, got a tenner back. Clearly there were no deadpoolers in the auction room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Day off today. Bargain Hunt isn't my kind of daytime show, but on today's episode the expert bought a mould for making busts of none other than 4-time DL name Barbara Castle!

Paid £65 for it, got a tenner back. Clearly there were no deadpoolers in the auction room.

Sorry but, if I were in the market for a bust mould, I would be looking for one that had a considerably bigger pair of tits than Barbara Castles.

On 22/09/2018 at 18:27, Handrejka said:

I'm going to have to confess that you were right and I was wrong. I'm up to ep 5 now, and that''s because I'm struggling to find the interest.

I'm still fighting to put exactly why into a coherent explanation, all the bits are there, but they just don't hang together like Grosse Point Blank or other black comedy that I found compelling.

Clearly I'm not cut out to be a film critic. 

Although, despite my lack of interest, it still has the advantage of not actively pissing me off in the way Bodyguard did, more disappointment that it could have been more than it is.

Well, I watched the new Dr Who.

I liked it.

Don't shoot me.

• Like 1