Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Happy Valley - gave up after three episodes.   Fargo* without the black humour.   Disappointed as it had rave reviews, but it misfired for me.

I wasn't keen on this either. I find both Sarah Lancashire and Sally Wainwright rather overrated. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed Happy Valley.

I thought James Norton was brilliant as a psycho nut etc.

Each to their own, aye.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I enjoyed Happy Valley.

I thought James Norton was brilliant as a psycho nut etc.

Each to their own, aye.

I agree about James Norton. He's a very good actor. I just seem to be allergic to Sarah Lancashire. I didn't like Last Tango in Halifax  or Kiri either.

3 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I agree about James Norton. He's a very good actor. I just seem to be allergic to Sarah Lancashire. I didn't like Last Tango in Halifax  or Kiri either.

I didn't watch those either Handy.

I liked the cast around her in Happy Valley.

I think she is a bit overrated, personally.

I'm going to miss Norton in Grantchester, I love that series!

• Like 1

It was well acted, but there was just something off about the tone for me.  And the set-up just didn't convince me.  I did not buy the Steve Pemberton character's actions.

He accidentally discovers that an acquaintance is a drug baron, and five minutes later proposes a kidnapping to him?  Nah. 

I don't believe that said drug baron would go about it so casually either.  It was bollocks.

Oh,  I thought Steve Pemberton was quite good in it, actually (the character itself was as you say...very scripted). Apparently they're filming a new series of Inside No 9.  I like that one.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, msc said:

Oh,  I thought Steve Pemberton was quite good in it, actually (the character itself was as you say...very scripted). Apparently they're filming a new series of Inside No 9.  I like that one.

Yes I like that one too. 

• Like 3

Inside No 9 and Black Mirror are proper "anthology series" where each episode is standalone.   If you don't enjoy one, chances are there will be others you'll like.

I'm a bit annoyed at the American hijacking of the term for programmes with standalone seasons under the same flagship title (eg True Detective, American Crime Story).  It's confusing.

• Like 1

Yes, I hesitated over that myself, but decided to use the US term on this occasion because of context.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yes, I hesitated over that myself, but decided to use the US term on this occasion because of context.

Doctor Who (yeah, sorry everyone, but its actually an on topic point) is a very rare example of a UK show having Seasons rather than Series. Which I think is down to creator Sydney Newman being Canadian and bringing US style TV over to the UK in the 1950s/60s. (See also The Avengers, but 60s Who has fade outs around the 12 minute mark designed in line with 30 min US TV drama at the time like Twilight Zone and their designated ad-break).

Of course, when they brought back the show in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston and real people watching (not just geeks) they've used Series for that. Just to confuse folk.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2018 at 22:04, YoungWillz said:

Well, The ABC Murders is quite frankly, shite.

On 26/12/2018 at 23:07, Toast said:

Awful, and shot in near-darkness as seems to be the fashion now.  Might as well be on the radio.  That's the last time I watch anything that Phelps woman has had her grubby fingers in.  I should have known better after last year's abomination where she changed the entire plot and the murderer as well.

Now seen 2 of the 3 episodes. So far... shite. It has the title, it has some characters from the book, and that's pretty much it.

Although it does amuse me that for how much Phelps is meant to have modernised Christie and made her stories all "woke" or whatever they call it by include subtext already in the fucking book, Phelps managed to axe two strong female characters in the book, so as to focus on another female role she has expanded and harpy'd up.

On 29/04/2017 at 13:05, charon said:

Fargo you can watch in any order season wise. Do it. Do it now. You will love Billy Bob Thornton in S1, the black dood in S2 and Thewlis in S3.
Not an option msc, its an order......watch it.

Belatedly watching Fargo and loving it! 

• Thanks 1

European Championships in Figure skating

• Haha 1

shameless us is the only new series I am capable of watching the rest have turned into some politically correct shit 

Formula E. First season I've watched it. Three races in, I've seen more exciting racing than in the last 10 years of F1. 

Siren is back for S#2.

Trawler and mermaid action , helllllloooooooo.

Latest Corrie bizarre turn storyline is going to be them opening a halfway house for murders and rapists. Whether they go through with it or not, probably not, just gives the older characters a project.

Any they say Hollyoaks is sensationalist. That said Breda, for a Hollyoaks serial killer is suprisingly fun to watch. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_births,_marriages_and_deaths_in_Hollyoaks

Hollyoaks has always been a laugh "for those not affected by the issues covered" proper car crash TV. The attached link gives the number of deaths by year, a pretty good rival to the official deathlist. Some of the acting is rather good.  

On 26/01/2019 at 11:09, gcreptile said:

European Championships in Figure skating

IF0yE_copy.jpg

:P

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_births,_marriages_and_deaths_in_Hollyoaks

Hollyoaks has always been a laugh "for those not affected by the issues covered" proper car crash TV. The attached link gives the number of deaths by year, a pretty good rival to the official deathlist. Some of the acting is rather good.  

Counting the actual number of deaths in Hollyoaks is a bit complicated due to the sheer number of faked deaths and the off-screen unknown number of victims of a couple of the serial killers; this is a more comprehensive list:

https://hollyoaks.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Deaths

1 hour ago, Book said:

IF0yE_copy.jpg

:P

The first male skater I watched, skated to a Queen medley.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

The first male skater I watched, skated to a Queen medley.

There you have it :lol:

The Chinese have done an anime of Karl Marx , first episode is out. I'd watch it :ph34r:

https://www.inkstonenews.com/politics/china-communist-party-turns-karl-marxs-love-story-propaganda-anime/article/3000629