Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

32 minutes ago, runebomme said:

14 April 2019

green-yes-text-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Toast said:

green-yes-text-smiley-emoticon.gif

I think Varys will double cross them all and he is part of Blackfyre Rebellion somehow

Sex Education.  Three episodes in and really enjoying this.

Lots of sex, nudity and profanity but there's more to it than that.  It's funny and also emotionally touching in places, with likeable characters.

Slightly odd as it's set in an American style school (think Ferris Bueller or Breakfast Club) but with British actors, and it's filmed in Wales.  Plus there's a bit of an 80s/90s vibe to it  (cars, fashion) but with mobile phones.  Like an alternative reality.

Some great music too.

• Like 1

Watched Dreams of a Life (2011), a documentary about a woman named Joyce Vincent. She died alone in a bedsit in December 2003, but she wasn't found until bailiffs broke down her door on 25 January 2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Vincent

It had a profound effect on me and I took a few days to think it over. It's easy to ask questions like "why didn't they come sooner?" (half her rent was paid by an abused women's organisation, and the debt was forgiven for a while) or "why did nobody look for her?" (they did, her family hired a private investigator and sent letters to her, but she was already dead).

It's also easy to assume she was an old cow who no one loved, but that just wasn't the case. She was young, intelligent, talented and "upwardly mobile" - she personally chatted with the likes of Nelson Mandela and Stevie Wonder. Nice to look at, too.

40563748_173783836831328_1228970788615183576_n.jpg.d0688151a42c36b2e7555ef87249622b.jpg

That's why her life makes for a far more interesting 90 minutes than the circumstances of her death. We know how she ended up decomposing in North London. The real question - why? How did someone with so much to live for end up so alone? She was wrapping Christmas presents when she suddenly died - who were they for?

When I go onto Facebook just now and see 16 messages from my Irish cousins saying "happy birthday Clorox!", I wonder if I would even notice if one of them were to disappear. Morbid, but whatever. Just an observation.

Some of the fictitious scenes are... of questionable taste... but the actress Zawe Ashton does an excellent job of imagining Joyce as a real person. The interviews from people who knew Joyce are particularly insightful. It's hard to blame them for what happened.

Worth a watch if you're up for a cry and/or existential crisis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most things I have been into of late have been German oriented.

Berlin Station, the new Das Boot, Counterpart and a cop one I cannot mind the name of that I only did ep1 of.

So, took the plunge for a swaree on 2 seasons of Babylon Berlin.

Fucking stylish and excellent so far,
Berlin 1929 vice squad with intrigue and the Rise of the Nazis.

Worth a binge.

* I got the subtitled version. Far superior.

Mrs Biblio has just stated watching Star Trek: Discovery on Netflix.

It is quite good its biggest problem seems to be being tied to Star Trek continuity

Just finished watching "The Jury Speaks" about 

OJ Simpson (Channel 254 at this time) Quite interesting, now watching the programme after it about Natalie Wood. (Channel 154)

My father in law quotes channel numbers as if they are universal, they are not freeview, sky virgin are different, channels matter names are good for searches numbers are irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

My father in law quotes channel numbers as if they are universal, they are not freeview, sky virgin are different, channels matter names are good for searches numbers are irrelevant.

Ok my bad. Sky channels. 

We havent missed an episode this series.

3 minutes ago, charon said:

We havent missed an episode this series.

Harry is on his way to Japan as we speak.

Currently, at a height of 30,000 ft, he is learning the lyrics to 'Turning Japanese'  as I type.:lol:

• Haha 2

Sure it's been mentioned on here afore but I can't find it.

However

Horrible twisted tale.

2wtbqh.jpg

• Like 1

Bit late to the party, but Chernobyl was utterly awesome.   Incredible TV, grim but gripping.

Ronia The Robber's Daughter

Studio Ghibli

• Like 1

The Last Kingdom. 

Absolutely brilliant series that seems to have gone under the radar.   Bernard Cornwell epic: King Alfred v the Danes, with a fictional hero.

I watched the first 2 episodes of this way back in 2015 when it started on BBC2, but forgot or missed the third episode and lost track of it.

It's now gone to three series with a fourth just wrapped, and is now solely made by Netflix after BBC dropped out after S2.

Busy catching up and I am totally hooked.  It has some of the elements of Game Of Thrones, but it's less complex.  No dragons but some witchcraft here and there.  Great characters, great writing, great acting.  Plenty of humour, great hair and beard dos, tattoos and eyeliner! 

Highly recommended.  Treat Ep 1 as mainly a prequel:  by Ep 3 it has hit its stride.

I have also watched a few episodes of Mad Men and it's not drawing me in.  Am I right in thinking that much of its appeal stems from its recreation of the 1960s?   I can see that it would have a fascination for people born post-60s.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

The Last Kingdom.

I have also watched a few episodes of Mad Men and it's not drawing me in.  Am I right in thinking that much of its appeal stems from its recreation of the 1960s?   I can see that it would have a fascination for people born post-60s.

Mad Men's strength seems to be the odd great episode which knocks it out of the park, but yeah, I wasn't fully enamoured with it.

Currently giving that Stranger Things everyone is on about a shot. Bloody dull, like a superlong bad Stephen King adaptation.

Although... I recently gave How I Met Your Mother a shot, as it had Ally Hannigan in it, and contrary to seemingly most of the internet whinging about not getting the show they thought they were entitled to, I thought it was surprisingly well done for a US sitcom.

No, I didn't like Stranger Things.  The kids were annoying and Winona Ryder was even more annoying.

like a superlong bad Stephen King adaptation

Spot on.  Speaking of which, In The Tall Grass was dreadful.  Started off like Children Of The Corn, but was just confusing after that.  I gather the source story is simpler and more effective.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Mad Men's strength seems to be the odd great episode which knocks it out of the park, but yeah, I wasn't fully enamoured with it.

Currently giving that Stranger Things everyone is on about a shot. Bloody dull, like a superlong bad Stephen King adaptation.

Although... I recently gave How I Met Your Mother a shot, as it had Ally Hannigan in it, and contrary to seemingly most of the internet whinging about not getting the show they thought they were entitled to, I thought it was surprisingly well done for a US sitcom.

"Stranger Things everyone is on about a shot"

the first series was quite good the other two are shitier versions of it

I watch at the moment and like

Mr Mercedes

the terror

Mr inbetween

4 hours ago, msc said:

Of all the Friends-inspired US sitcoms on our screens that seems the most obviously derivative, it has a lead who looks like Ross and another character who looks like Chandler (but acts like Joey). And (IMO) isn't funny. Nor are most of the other ones that clog up E4, with the exception of Big Bang Theory and maybe Goldbergs (apart from the mawkish happy endings that ruin the last few minutes of every episode),  Hayley Orrantia being rather easy on the eye doesn't do any harm, although there is too much of her singing. Young Sheldon by contrast isn't funny at all, and as for the PC laugh-free zone that is Speechless - Minnie Driver proves 20 years after her brief period of fame  that she is still attractive but still can't act, while the presence of the disabled  and obviously token black characters may win the show awards but don't make it funny.