Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

Inside No. 9

Tonight, BBC2 10 pm.

• Like 5

Currently watching The Tudors, which I missed back when it was on the BBC.  Enjoying it.

Don't watch if you are particular about historical accuracy.

Do watch if you like a lot of tits and noisy shagging.

JRM was a ridiculous casting  choice for Henry VIII, but he's eye candy and plays the role well.

And the costumes are beyond sumptuous.  I don't think any of the main characters are seen in the same outfit twice.  Must have cost the earth.

I've been binge watching Schitt's Creek for the last few weeks. Currently on S5.

I finished the four seasons (so far) of the hard sci-fi opera The Expanse.... and bought the first book of the literary inspiration (Leviathan Wakes). Let's see if I have to buy them all...

I can recommend the series. It's a bit heady and dry sometimes (not quite the spectacle of Star Wars, or the clean fun of Star Trek). So binge watching might be a bit straining, but when it's good, it's good... and eventually, it starts looking like the Mass Effect video game series...especially like the somewhat underrated spin-off Mass Effect: Andromeda.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I finished the four seasons (so far) of the hard sci-fi opera The Expanse.... and bought the first book of the literary inspiration (Leviathan Wakes). Let's see if I have to buy them all...

I can recommend the series. It's a bit heady and dry sometimes (not quite the spectacle of Star Wars, or the clean fun of Star Trek). So binge watching might be a bit straining, but when it's good, it's good... and eventually, it starts looking like the Mass Effect video game series...especially like the somewhat underrated spin-off Mass Effect: Andromeda.

This gets good press in the Babylon 5 fan sites

I'm currently watching Hugh Laurie (Amazon Prime Video) in House. A little formulaic, but entertaining enough nonetheless.

I'm approaching the end of season 3, at which point the core team breaks up, so let's see if the replacements can maintain the standard.

S4 of The Last Kingdom is coming on 26 April.  :)

There's time to catch up if you haven't seen this.  It's all on Netflix.

Watching a classic. The Young Ones. I miss Rik Mayall...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genfærd said:

Watching a classic. The Young Ones. I miss Rik Mayall...

"Oh no! The front door's exploded!"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

This gets good press in the Babylon 5 fan sites

Never watched it, I am ashamed to admit. It was a time when you either watched Deep Space Nine or Babylon Five, but rarely both. But some critics see similarities between the latter and The Expanse.

• Like 1

Watched my v v v v v first episode of Outlander last night.

*shrugs*

was informed I should watch S1-2 only.  Maybe it’ll happen, not betting on it.

SirC

Being in self-quarantine has meant I've finally managed to get stuck into Black Mirror on Netflix. I've watched 7 of them so far, they're all unique stories and they've all been brilliant; intriguing, haunting and insane in their own way. I can't recommend it enough! Two stand out ones for me so far are episodes called "The National Anthem" and "White Bear". 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Being in self-quarantine has meant I've finally managed to get stuck into Black Mirror on Netflix. I've watched 7 of them so far, they're all unique stories and they've all been brilliant; intriguing, haunting and insane in their own way. I can't recommend it enough! Two stand out ones for me so far are episodes called "The National Anthem" and "White Bear". 

It's trendy hipster neo Liberal willy waiving satire of the highest order to be Frank. 

Brooks is a self absorbed and self important hypocritical tosser 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Brooker is a self absorbed and self important hypocritical tosser 

Genuine question as I don't know much about Charlie Brooker: why?

And Brooker and his wife have built up a BTL empire which they never stop going on about. Can't stand them.

I'm currently rewatching Peep Show S1 to S6 only. From its brilliant peak in S601 and S602, to being completely awful in S7 onwards was some fall from grace.

Friend of mine was doing family tree research and noticed a strong resemblance between photos of his Brooker great-grandma, and CB.  Turned out he and CB are second cousins.  They've never met though.

I've been watching half of Community so far, now that it's on Netflix. Remarkably consistent weirdo-comedy by Dan Harmon (co-creator of Rick and Morty).

At some point, I realized that Sir Creep is "our" Pierce.

• Haha 2

Did anyone else watch Quiz, about the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire alleged cheats?  I used to think they were guilty as fuck but now I’m not so sure.  It does all seem rather far fetched.  Another cracking performance by Michael Sheen.

1 hour ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Did anyone else watch Quiz, about the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire alleged cheats?  I used to think they were guilty as fuck but now I’m not so sure.  It does all seem rather far fetched.  Another cracking performance by Michael Sheen.

The pagers and calling Wittock  are rather damning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Yes. It was good. Innocent until proven guilty? Hmmmmm. Made me think about it again. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

The pagers and calling Wittock  are rather damning.

Agreed, that doesn’t look good, but I’m definitely not as convinced as I once was.  I realise not all the evidence could be shown in a scaled down drama and that some things were changed for dramatic effect, but if I was on that jury I couldn’t in good faith say guilty beyond all reasonable doubt.

i believe they don’t live too far away from here and we sometimes see them trading jewellery at the local Christmas markets. 

I was actually surprised to find out that there were, at least, two syndicates running at the time which were run by people who could get contestants onto the show, help them with the 'phone a friend' questions and would take a cut of the winnings.

A tad more sophisticated than coughing!

• Like 2

I always thought that unless you had access to the questions, any attempt to cheat on the show would be hit-and-miss anyway.  No guarantee that the "assistant" would know the answers.  

9 hours ago, Toast said:

I always thought that unless you had access to the questions, any attempt to cheat on the show would be hit-and-miss anyway.  No guarantee that the "assistant" would know the answers.  

That's what I thought, however, as described by the head of the main syndicate, they were VERY well prepared and had people all over the shop at hand to assist.

Few other tricks they had too, even the producers knew what was going on but could do little to prevent it.