Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

That's what I thought, however, as described by the head of the main syndicate, they were VERY well prepared and had people all over the shop at hand to assist.

Few other tricks they had too, even the producers knew what was going on but could do little to prevent it.

How does it work now - does the "phone a friend" have to be on zoom or skype or something so they can't be seen to be frantically googling?

I gave up watching it long ago.  Too much timewasting and chit-chat and not enough questions to hold my interest.

Just now, Toast said:

How does it work now - does the "phone a friend" have to be on zoom or skype or something so they can't be seen to be frantically googling?

I would guess so.

IIRC, it has been said that somebody from the programme would be with the phone a friend, which suggests either something like skype, as you said, or the friends details are given out to the show before hand and an agent of the show is actually there when the call comes in, unlikely as it may seem.

I never did think it was all 100% random but I had no idea it could be so well manipulated as it has been.

57 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I would guess so.

IIRC, it has been said that somebody from the programme would be with the phone a friend, which suggests either something like skype, as you said, or the friends details are given out to the show before hand and an agent of the show is actually there when the call comes in, unlikely as it may seem.

I never did think it was all 100% random but I had no idea it could be so well manipulated as it has been.

Is it still a programme? I thought they killed it off. I love a good quiz show.

26 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Is it still a programme? I thought they killed it off. I love a good quiz show.

It was binned in 2014.

But got revived with Jeremy Clarkson as host in 2018 and a new series every so often at the minute...  Was on the other week. 

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I gave up watching it long ago.  Too much timewasting and chit-chat and not enough questions to hold my interest.

They send someone round your house if your a nominated phone a friend while your mate is on the show to check your answering without resorting to google. I'm sure those people are all 100% immune to bribery.... 

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a25733895/who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-new-series-lifelines-phone-a-friend-cheating/

• Thanks 1

Beat The Chasers.

The hour disappears in the blink of an eye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Beat The Chasers.

The hour disappears in the blink of an eye.

Is that blind and deaf eye your blinking? 

I caught a few minutes of Football Focus earlier, not having seen it for years (probably the Bob Wilson days was the last time I watched regularly...), and obviously there's no actual football to discuss, but my God, what an absolute load of shite it was.

• Like 1

It's Eurovision night. Or not Eurovision. 

Have they forgotten the advent means people can vote from home. Phones would enable them too as well. 

Honestly why couldn't they keep the voting? 

Update: the replacement is a pile of the worst 'we're all in this together' pandemic self-flagellation ever seen, 

• Like 1

It's hardly earth-shatteringly good/funny, but I raised a smile at Dave, US sitcom that kinda reimagines Vanilla Ice as Woody Allen/Larry David. Or, as the phrase goes, summat.

These are desperate days for sports junkie couch potatoes.

On 16/10/2017 at 20:41, gcreptile said:

Cher will be in it, too! (Mamma Mia 2):

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41637871

Okay, so I finally watched it, Mamma Mia 2. Structurally, it's basically like The Godfather Part 2.

It has Andy Garcia.

Surprisingly, it's less ridiculous than the first one. Cher can't move her face anymore.

14 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

It's hardly earth-shatteringly good/funny, but I raised a smile at Dave, US sitcom that kinda reimagines Vanilla Ice as Woody Allen/Larry David. Or, as the phrase goes, summat.

These are desperate days for sports junkie couch potatoes.

Bundesliga was on tonight.

Odd but watchable.

Richard Osman's house of games is usually good. Even had a wombles question this week (only two of the guests could correctly identify Tobermory!) Nearly always won by one of the comedians, although some of the latter are  needy attention-seekers who are incapable of shutting up when it isn't their go. And some of the (usually female) 'celebs' who are incapable of saying anything amusing try to compensate by being loud, which is even more annoying. 

Agree with YW re Beat the Chasers, although I suspect there's some fakery going on somewhere - firstly with the number of people being picked who are professional quizzers known to the Chasers personally and secondly with some of the relatively easy questions they get wrong when up against lesser contestants to make it appear closer (even letting them win on occasion). When they are up against serious quizzers they rarely get a question wrong.

Also enjoyed the Harry Redknapp /old soccer stars touring round Europe programme, primarily to see how players from 25 years ago are doing these days. Again, sure some of the situations and arguments are staged for the benefit of the camera though. Matt Le Tissier and Paul Merson came over quite well, Razor Ruddock by comparison will be a good pick at 49 or 50 for the DL within a year or two the way he is going, vastly overweight, dreadful diet and heart problems. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Razor Ruddock continuing to booze on a pacemaker might make him a good shout to overtake Gazza even. Although Kenny Sansom's not out of the woods yet.

House of Games is good fun, yes.

Sadly Killing Eve Season 3 is not very good. Bumping off old characters and suddenly introducing never mentioned before important characters smacks of the team running out of ideas. They should just have Eve and Villanelle hook up already.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Sadly Killing Eve Season 3 is not very good. Bumping off old characters and suddenly introducing never mentioned before important characters smacks of the team running out of ideas. They should just have Eve and Villanelle hook up already.

I loved the first one, not so much the second and this one even less.  Although there are moments.

I actually think it was a mistake making it about Eve.  But once they'd given it that title they were stuck with her.  I would far rather follow the nefarious exploits of Villanelle.  That could still involve Konstantin, and hopefully Carolyn too because Fiona Shaw is terrific.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I loved the first one, not so much the second and this one even less.  Although there are moments.

I actually think it was a mistake making it about Eve.  But once they'd given it that title they were stuck with her.  I would far rather follow the nefarious exploits of Villanelle.  That could still involve Konstantin, and hopefully Carolyn too because Fiona Shaw is terrific.

Yeah, the first series was great, and the sequels not so good. There was one of the recent episodes that had about 1 minute of Jodie Comer in total while we focused on Eve's life. Dull.

I'm soon to be in need of a series to watch. 

I currently have access to Netflix, NOW TV, and next door's  basic Amazon Prime, plus all the usual free and catch-up stuff.

Here is a list of things I have enjoyed to give an idea of the sort of thing I like.

Any suggestions? 

Black Mirror

Black Sails

Britannia

Chernobyl

Endeavour

Fargo

Game of Thrones

Line of Duty

Sex Education

The Assassination of Gianni Versace

The Crown

The End of the F***ing World

The Last Kingdom

The Man in the High Castle

The Tudors

Vikings

31 minutes ago, Toast said:

I currently have access to Netflix, NOW TV, and next door's  basic Amazon Prime, plus all the usual free and catch-up stuff.

Here is a list of things I have enjoyed to give an idea of the sort of thing I like.

Any suggestions? 

Black Mirror

Black Sails 

Britannia

Chernobyl 

Endeavour 

Fargo

Game of Thrones

Line of Duty

Sex Education

The Last Kingdom

The Tudors

Vikings

Trying to amalgmate that into stuff I've seen on Netflix... Homeland and Prison Break?

Currently about 5 episodes left on The Good Place.

43 minutes ago, Toast said:

Any suggestions? 

Black Mirror

Black Sails

Britannia

Chernobyl

Endeavour

Fargo

Game of Thrones

Line of Duty

Sex Education

The Last Kingdom

The Tudors

Vikings

Get yourself Britbox..... it's on 30 day free trial at the minute

Scott and Bailey, Gentleman Jack, Midsomer Murders, Vera, Whitehouse Farm, Spooks, Broadchurch, Doctor Who, Whitechapel, Deadwater Fell, Happy Valley, Morse

37 minutes ago, msc said:

Trying to amalgmate that into stuff I've seen on Netflix... Homeland and Prison Break?

Currently about 5 episodes left on The Good Place.

I don't usually like American series. 

No prisons, thank you.  Nor anything about drugs and dealers, just not interested.

I watched a few eps of The Good Place but it wasn't for me. 

You have never seen Line of Duty?

If you haven't, try and watch it from the very first series...

28 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Get yourself Britbox..... it's on 30 day free trial at the minute

Scott and Bailey, Gentleman Jack, Midsomer Murders, Vera, Whitehouse Farm, Spooks, Broadchurch, Doctor Who, Whitechapel, Deadwater Fell, Happy Valley, Morse

I've had the opportunity to see most of these.

Never fancied Gentleman Jack or Vera. 

Didn't like Happy Valley, I may have commented on it earlier in this thread. 

Love Morse, seen them all though.

Spooks is on iPlayer, might give that a go, seen the first one but didn't go back.

I dipped into Whitehouse Farm, but was disappointed that it wasn't going to explore JB's version.

Not into Doctor Who.  Don't kill me, please.

But thanks, there's one or two worth looking into there.

I still have one episode of The Last Kingdom left .... been rationing myself.

1 minute ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You have never seen Line of Duty?

If you haven't, try and watch it from the very first series...

Yes, it's on my list of likes.

It's gone off the boil a bit though.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Any suggestions?

If you can bring yourself to watch American series, GAB has enjoyed rediscovering House (Hugh Laurie) and Ally McBeal recently (although both went downhill in the last series) From the same period (12-15) years ago) quite enjoyed Pushing Up Daisies, surreal but quite amusing. Having Anna Friel to look at helped.