Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Any suggestions? 

I recommended something to someone years ago and was told it was shit, rather than that didn't enjoy it as I had,  so I rarely recommend anything to anybody these days, but having said that I watched Rake (Netflix) and enjoyed it - but (like a lot of things) stayed for a season  (possibly 2) too long.

If you've never seen it, Bodies (BBC iplayer) is worth a look too).

17 hours ago, time said:

I recommended something to someone years ago and was told it was shit, rather than that didn't enjoy it as I had,  so I rarely recommend anything to anybody these days, but having said that I watched Rake (Netflix) and enjoyed it - but (like a lot of things) stayed for a season  (possibly 2) too long.

If you've never seen it, Bodies (BBC iplayer) is worth a look too).

Oh yes, I watched Bodies a while ago.  Compulsive viewing, although perhaps a little too much of Max Beesley's hairy arse.

Never heard of Rake, will look it up.

Other things I have recently watched but wasn't sold on.  They passed the time, but I didn't feel I'd watched something really good, iykwim.

Two Harlan Coben adaptations, Safe and The Stranger.  Both a bit predictable.

And a Stephen King thing that was so painfully sloooooow and a bit crap all round.  It was weekly episodes or I wouldn't have stuck with it.  A week was just enough to forget how bad the previous episode had been.  The Outsider (just had to look it up as I couldn't even remember the title).

ETA I forgot to include The Man in the High Castle and The Crown on my list of likes.  Added now.

17 hours ago, time said:

I recommended something to someone years ago and was told it was shit, rather than that didn't enjoy it as I had,  so I rarely recommend anything to anybody these days

On this point.  That's why I supplied a list of things I have liked, hoping for suggestions in a similar vein.  It's no good recommending, say, LOTR to someone who doesn't like imaginary worlds, or Grey's Anatomy to someone who doesn't like hospital dramas, just because you (general you) enjoyed them yourself.

There's a lot of costume drama on my list, or pseudo-historical, low fantasy type stuff.  From which you can deduce that I don't mind a bit of blood and guts (although I do find lengthy fighting and battle a bit boring and tend to glaze over).

I have got both series of Rome on DVD stashed away.  I think I will like that, but have been saving it in case my internet failed during lockdown. 

Also some slightly off-the-wall things like Sex Education and The End of the F***ing World.  Oh, and This Country.  That needs to go on the list.

I've never watched Twin Peaks.  Started it a couple of times but not been hooked.  Should I like that, do you think?

Maybe Upload on Amazon Prime, 10 episodes of around 30 minutes each, about the blessings of a digital afterlife. Apparently that show The Good Place does something similar, and well, Black Mirror had an episode or two like this, too. But I thought it was pleasant enough.

Personally, I also kind of want to watch The Witcher series, but first I want to play all the three games.... What a quagmire...

29 minutes ago, Toast said:

On this point.  That's why I supplied a list of things I have liked, hoping for suggestions in a similar vein.  It's no good recommending, say, LOTR to someone who doesn't like imaginary worlds, or Grey's Anatomy to someone who doesn't like hospital dramas, just because you (general you) enjoyed them yourself.

There's a lot of costume drama on my list, or pseudo-historical, low fantasy type stuff.  From which you can deduce that I don't mind a bit of blood and guts (although I do find lengthy fighting and battle a bit boring and tend to glaze over).

I have got both series of Rome on DVD stashed away.  I think I will like that, but have been saving it in case my internet failed during lockdown. 

Also some slightly off-the-wall things like Sex Education and The End of the F***ing World.  Oh, and This Country.  That needs to go on the list.

I've never watched Twin Peaks.  Started it a couple of times but not been hooked.  Should I like that, do you think?

I've never watched Twin Peaks so can't comment, but I deliberately avoided recommending American programmes as you said you generally don't like them. Same as drugs/dealers type things (presumably Sons of Anarchy is a definite no-no?).

I've watched a fair bit of Aussie & Canadian stuff on Prime/Netflix - one I enjoyed was 'Wanted' - (Australian, 18 episodes in total over 3 series ).

Another Australian programme I watched was Harrow, starring Ioan Gruffudd as a non-conforming pathologist, but it's now a pay-as-you-go thing (though season 2 is on UK TV currently).

The Canadian stuff is all a bit crime/drugs/mafia type stuff, happy to dig up some titles if anyone wants.

36 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Maybe Upload on Amazon Prime, 10 episodes of around 30 minutes each, about the blessings of a digital afterlife. Apparently that show The Good Place does something similar, and well, Black Mirror had an episode or two like this, too. But I thought it was pleasant enough.

I did watch the first episode of Upload as I liked the Black Mirror ones (San Junipero and ... something with DJ in the title?).  Wasn't hooked but I should maybe give it another chance.    Watched 3 episodes of The Good Place but it didn't do anything for me and I found the lead actress irritating.

I am picky, I know.  I don't watch much TV, maybe one episode of whatever I'm currently watching per day.  Two at the max.  Rarely anything else.  So it has to be good.  I don't sit in front of the telly all evening like I once did. 

34 minutes ago, time said:

I've never watched Twin Peaks so can't comment, but I deliberately avoided recommending American programmes as you said you generally don't like them. Same as drugs/dealers type things (presumably Sons of Anarchy is a definite no-no?).

Yeah, but Twin Peaks is a cult classic. 

Not saying I never watch anything American, just the average sort of thing doesn't tend to draw me in.  I tried Mad Men, watched half a dozen episodes of that, but I was bored.  Nothing happened.  The period detail was marvellous, but I actually remember it from childhood, so it didn't have that fascination that it must have had for younger people.  I slogged through one and a half seasons of Breaking Bad and was bored shitless.  Just so many series seem to be about drug deals, doesn't interest me in the slightest.

43 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Personally, I also kind of want to watch The Witcher series, but first I want to play all the three games.... What a quagmire...

I watched two or three episodes, but it failed to grab me.  I think you needed to have played the game, as I found it incomprehensible.

It should have been the sort of thing I like, but it was badly done.

18 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yeah, but Twin Peaks is a cult classic. 

Not saying I never watch anything American, just the average sort of thing doesn't tend to draw me in.  I tried Mad Men, watched half a dozen episodes of that, but I was bored.  Nothing happened.  The period detail was marvellous, but I actually remember it from childhood, so it didn't have that fascination that it must have had for younger people.  I slogged through one and a half seasons of Breaking Bad and was bored shitless.  Just so many series seem to be about drug deals, doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I love Twin Peaks but I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone as both people I have recommended it to didn't like it. I'd also say if it hasn't grabbed you by the first 5 episodes then it won't. It gets worse before it gets better.  This is rather accurate. 

Have you seen Vienna Blood? I didn't care for it but it might be worth a try. 

pkqdoEW.jpg

• Thanks 1

Edge of Darkness. The series not the film (barf). you can get it on a site called Daily Motion or something like that with a brief search. Unmissable even 35 years on. But you've presumably seen it. I can't imagine anyone liking chernobyl and not liking it but  you never know.

The Expanse is on Prime, and was mentioned by GCreptile a while ago iirc. It's sci-fi mind you, but not cowboys and indians in space like star wars or for kids like DrWho (ducks, very very, very low).

Get The West Wing somehow or other unless you've already seen it. American, sure, nevertheless one of the best things ever made imo. Same The Wire, but that's drugs (at least in part) so probably a no-no besides you can't fail to know about it.

The Hour, is on Prime, british, historical, about tv news people.

gillian anderson in the Fall, also on prime. Prime suspect ish i suppose.

The Newsroom but not sure where its on. Aaron Sorkin again, like the first 3 or so series of the west wing.

Westworld is on now tv i think, sci-fi again (sort of, no spaceship malarkey), series 1 is good, s2 first half then it drifted off for me, s3 much better.

only my opinion mind and guess from that anyone could chuck more of the same my way too ;)

was going to go back and format all that neatly. cba. sue me.

• Thanks 1

Started Downton Abbey.

I've never watched this because I was around when Upstairs Downstairs was on, so thought "been there, done that".

But the first episode drew me in as it started with a proper plot-launching event.  So I will be continuing, for now at least.

I've even been to the location (as in actually inside the house) as it's in my part of the world.  Not normally my thing, stately homes, but I was persuaded to accompany a friend who wanted to have a nose round.

Just finished watching three seasons of Ozark.  Bit of a slow burner at the beginning, but now? FFS, probably the best show on tv.  Looking forward to the fourth series.  

Particularly exciting watching The Salisbury Poisonings not least because my team were involved in a small way and they briefly showed my office on tonight’s episode :o definitely have used a little artistic license and tweaked the timings on some events to make it fit into a three part series. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Particularly exciting watching The Salisbury Poisonings not least because my team were involved in a small way and they briefly showed my office on tonight’s episode :o definitely have used a little artistic license and tweaked the timings on some events to make it fit into a three part series. 

I presume the only reason that you are not portrayed is the lack of availability of Michelle Pfeiffer to play you.

• Haha 1

Well I have just seen Larry Grayson get attacked by Rod Hulls Emu.

I must have seen it first time round but it was so horrific I blotted the whole thing out.

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I presume the only reason that you are not portrayed is the lack of availability of Michelle Pfeiffer to play you.

Obvs :lol:

1 minute ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Well I have just seen Larry Grayson get attacked by Rod Hulls Emu.

I must have seen it first time round but it was so horrific I blotted the whole thing out.

I’d have thought seeing a bloke up to his elbow in a mad bird would have been right up your street.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I’d have thought seeing a bloke up to his elbow in a mad bird would have been right up your street.

That was quite brilliant, I have to admit it. :lol:

Just now, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

That was quite brilliant, I have to admit it. :lol:

Aye thank you.  I’m here all week, tickets for the meat raffle a pound a strip.

1 minute ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Aye thank you.  I’m here all week, tickets for the meat raffle a pound a strip.

I'm fucked if I am going to pay you a pound to strip!

Will 50p do?

2 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I'm fucked if I am going to pay you a pound to strip!

Will 50p do?

Throw in a pound of tripe and you’re on:D

• Haha 1

Just now, Lard Bazaar said:

Throw in a pound of tripe and you’re on:D

Deal!

Just finished watching the rerun of the supposedly 'classic' pride and prejudice from the 90s. Odd mixture of the way over the top grotesque (particularly Alison Stedman as Mrs Bennett, but see also Mr Collins and Lady Catherine) and the completely uncharismatic (Wickham, both the leading women) hard to see why anybody else should have been attracted to any of them.

24 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Just finished watching the rerun of the supposedly 'classic' pride and prejudice from the 90s. Odd mixture of the way over the top grotesque (particularly Alison Stedman as Mrs Bennett, but see also Mr Collins and Lady Catherine) and the completely uncharismatic (Wickham, both the leading women) hard to see why anybody else should have been attracted to any of them.

Colin Firth does nothing for me, so I was unmoved by the famous wet shirt scene.  I'm not a fan of Jane Austen, so I never watched the series but it was difficult to avoid clips of that.