Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

2 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Just finished watching the rerun of the supposedly 'classic' pride and prejudice from the 90s. Odd mixture of the way over the top grotesque (particularly Alison Stedman as Mrs Bennett, but see also Mr Collins and Lady Catherine) and the completely uncharismatic (Wickham, both the leading women) hard to see why anybody else should have been attracted to any of them.

I am all astonishment.....

I have watched this twice this year already.

It is such a joy and it is surprisingly faithful to the book.

If you actually got the book and split it into six even parts then you would pretty much get the episodes as they are shown.

Steadman gets that these books are social comedies and not 'romances'

Interestingly most of the cast are still alive only Benjamin Whitrow has died.

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am all astonishment.....

I have watched this twice this year already.

It is such a joy and it is surprisingly faithful to the book.

Appreciate I am in the minority here but half the cast being understated while the other half treated it as panto time just jarred on me. Not so badly that I didnt watch all of it, mind.

• Like 1

you can get some Catherine Cookson on YouTube some of it is quite good

Was anyone else a fan of last year's BBC comedy series Ghosts? I enjoyed it despite some ropey acting and predictable humour.  It's worth checking out if you want something a bit daft and not too taxing. I was looking forward to the second series but I imagine it's been delayed.  

I am currently re-watching The Prisoner.  It's not my favourite ITC series, in fact in probably just scrapes into the top 5  but it seems kind of apt viewing. 

3 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Was anyone else a fan of last year's BBC comedy series Ghosts? I enjoyed it despite some ropey acting and predictable humour.  It's worth checking out if you want something a bit daft and not too taxing. I was looking forward to the second series but I imagine it's been delayed.  

I am currently re-watching The Prisoner.  It's not my favourite ITC series, in fact in probably just scrapes into the top 5  but it seems kind of apt viewing. 

I love the ITC stuff.

Wasn't Department S made by them too?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I love the ITC stuff.

Wasn't Department S made by them too?

Yes it was. I like that too. I love Rosemary Nichol's wardrobe. 

My favourites are Randall and Hopkirk [deceased] and Man in Suitcase which goes without saying really.

• Like 1

The only period dramas that get watched in our house is when I’m on rag week.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lard Bazaar said:

The only period dramas that get watched in our house is when I’m on rag week.

What an uncouth woman you are! :lol:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Yes it was. I like that too. I love Rosemary Nichol's wardrobe. 

My favourites are Randall and Hopkirk [deceased] and Man in Suitcase which goes without saying really.

Yes, Peter Wyngarde always looked utterly dapper.

I confess that the 60s is my favourite period of time.

2 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Was that your favourite age to be as well?

• Haha 1

Was that your favourite age to be as well?

No, not really but there is fuck all I can do about it.

Cunt.:lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

No, not really but there is fuck all I can do about it.

Cunt.:lol:

Oh come on, being in your 60s was probably great fun! My dads in his 60s, deaf as a post and spends his sunny afternoons riding around in his Mazda with the roof down, spends his evenings on the phone to me moaning about everything in the entire world. 

3 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Oh come on, being in your 60s was probably great fun! My dads in his 60s, deaf as a post and spends his sunny afternoons riding around in his Mazda with the roof down, spends his evenings on the phone to me moaning about everything in the entire world. 

Well, when I get there, I will let you know.

PS: I am hard of hearing, that is true.:(

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You would have been drawing your first pensions about the time the Beatles came out, right?

40 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

You would have been drawing your first pensions about the time the Beatles came out, right?

No.

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

All the filming for Ghosts Series 2 is complete so it depends whether the post production has been delayed. It is actually a grower. The first few episodes are a bit slow but there are some great performances and it is very witty and sweet.

Going back to the days when I were a lad, I'm recording and watching 'Catweazle' on talking pictures channel at 5pm.  I think I was about 12 when it was originally on.  And BTW,  I watched ghosts too. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Going back to the days when I were a lad, I'm recording and watching 'Catweazle' on talking pictures channel at 5pm.  I think I was about 12 when it was originally on.  And BTW,  I watched ghosts too. 

I loved Catweazle.

I was younger than 12.:)

34 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

All the filming for Ghosts Series 2 is complete so it depends whether the post production has been delayed. It is actually a grower. The first few episodes are a bit slow but there are some great performances and it is very witty and sweet.

I enjoyed it a lot, it's very likeable. I think Charlotte Ritchie is a great actress, but I find Katy Wix a bit tiresome, thankfully as it's an ensemble piece so it doesn't matter too much.  

• Like 1

On Youtube the other day came across Frankie's House , based on Tim Page's time in Vietnam. I had a quick look on Wiki and both Page and Martin Stuart-Fox still about. Anyone into Game of Thrones should have a look as it stars a young Ian Glen and Stephen Dillane.

I've been watching all the Curb Your Enthusiasms recently. Managed to find it on my Dads old hard drive. Very funny, hopefully the PC babies wont have this or Seinfeld taken down.

13 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

I've been watching all the Curb Your Enthusiasms recently. Managed to find it on my Dads old hard drive. Very funny, hopefully the PC babies wont have this or Seinfeld taken down.

There is absolutely NO FUCKING WAY I’m looking for anything on my dad’s old hard drive.

• Haha 3

There is absolutely NO FUCKING WAY I’m looking for anything on my dad’s old hard drive.

Hahaha well... with the modern age of web based videos, I'd be surprised if people still download stuff like that onto their hard drives

Caught up with Peter Crouch's Save our Summer. Plays like a Youtube football fanzine programme rather than primetime viewing, i.e. amateurs half hour. Crouch himself is pretty good on screen, better than a lot of ex-footballer pundits who have had a lot more exposure (looking at you Alan Shearer) . His co-presenter (Maya something) wore a dress so low cut she forfeited the right to be taken seriously for the next 5 years. One of the Gallagher brothers came on and mumbled incoherently for 2-3 minutes. Rob Beckett was OK, We got the latest in a series of wives trying to build a TV career via  exposure on her husband's programme (see also Jon Richardson, Joel Dommett). Abby Clancy, having spent most of her life as an underwear model, knows how to look good, but then she opens her mouth,  the scouse accent issues forth the spell breaks....

The crew have obviously been told to laugh uproariously at any attempt at humour, however weak.

Verdict - possibly tolerable as late night post-closing time (remember that?)  entertainment  - not worth watching otherwise

1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Caught up with Peter Crouch's Save our Summer. Plays like a Youtube football fanzine programme rather than primetime viewing, i.e. amateurs half hour. Crouch himself is pretty good on screen, better than a lot of ex-footballer pundits who have had a lot more exposure (looking at you Alan Shearer) . His co-presenter (Maya something) wore a dress so low cut she forfeited the right to be taken seriously for the next 5 years. One of the Gallagher brothers came on and mumbled incoherently for 2-3 minutes. Rob Beckett was OK, We got the latest in a series of wives trying to build a TV career via  exposure on her husband's programme (see also Jon Richardson, Joel Dommett). Abby Clancy, having spent most of her life as an underwear model, knows how to look good, but then she opens her mouth,  the scouse accent issues forth the spell breaks....

The crew have obviously been told to laugh uproariously at any attempt at humour, however weak.

Verdict - possibly tolerable as late night post-closing time (remember that?)  entertainment  - not worth watching otherwise

There was a football magazine programme on Prime Video a few months back (called Back of the Net, search tells me) with Crouch fulfilling the ex-pro role. I hope he's improved since then!