Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

I used to like Fantasy Football League back in the day.  Silly but enjoyable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I used to like Fantasy Football League back in the day.  Silly but enjoyable.

Yes, same here. Often used to feature legend Jeff Astle singing (very badly). At the end of his career Astle played for my lot (Weymouth). Met him once, very nice guy. Died some years back, one of the 'dementia through too much heading a heavy ball' brigade.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Yes, same here. Often used to feature legend Jeff Astle singing (very badly). At the end of his career Astle played for my lot (Weymouth). Met him once, very nice guy. Died some years back, one of the 'dementia through too much heading a heavy ball' brigade.

Yes, Jeff was a great sport, wasn't he :lol:

Just caught up with the Sky One comedy drama Brassic. If you haven't, I urge you to look it up and watch it. Sometimes it's powerful, sometimes it's properly funny and at all times it's extremely well written.

Anyone wants a fun night. Hop onto Channel 4 tonight

22.00 - Dogging Tales (rewind it)

23.15 - Sex in Lockdown: Keep Shagging

4 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Anyone wants a fun night. Hop onto Channel 4 tonight

22.00 - Dogging Tales (rewind it)

23.15 - Sex in Lockdown: Keep Shagging

That's (23.15) way past my bedtime. I hope you enjoy it. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Just caught up with the Sky One comedy drama Brassic. If you haven't, I urge you to look it up and watch it. Sometimes it's powerful, sometimes it's properly funny and at all times it's extremely well written.

Funniest thing we’ve watched in ages.  Proper laugh out loud.  I had  a crush on Joe Gilgun before but now it’s huge :lol:

• Like 1

I finished the German Netflix original "Dark" today. It's Stranger Things turning into Lost - might be a recommendation for Toast, actually.

The series finale is out this week, after three seasons. It mostly gets it right. Mystery series always struggle when it comes to wrapping things up. But the story was much more concise than Lost, better characters, more answers.

Not everything makes sense, but the ratio is quite good.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I finished the German Netflix original "Dark" today. It's Stranger Things turning into Lost - might be a recommendation for Toast, actually.

The series finale is out this week, after three seasons. It mostly gets it right. Mystery series always struggle when it comes to wrapping things up. But the story was much more concise than Lost, better characters, more answers.

Not everything makes sense, but the ratio is quite good.

I saw this recommended by someone on Twitter; i'll have to give it a go. 

On 31/05/2020 at 14:49, time said:

<snip>

Another Australian programme I watched was Harrow, starring Ioan Gruffudd as a non-conforming pathologist, but it's now a pay-as-you-go thing (though season 2 is on UK TV currently).

</snip>

Seasons 1 & 2 of Harrow are now both included in basic Prime Video, so I'm going through the second series season.

My god Ioan Gruffudd is terrible.

Watched Hamilton on Disney+ yesterday. Fucking Brilliant.

Left me in pieces though.

Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story. Equal parts poignant, illuminating and fucking hilarious.

I can understand why most people don't get Frank Sidebottom and find him intensely irritating (if they're even aware of him), but also why some of us absolutely flipping do.

Pals and fans raise £17,000 for Frank Sidebottom funeral ...

Started watching Merlin.  Three episodes in, and it's not bad, and I'm finding it quite entertaining, if not exactly compulsive.

I'd assumed this was a children's show, but it's more for a general audience.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Toast said:

Started watching Merlin.  Three episodes in, and it's not bad, and I'm finding it quite entertaining, if not exactly compulsive.

Is this the BBC one from a few years back with Richard Wilson in?

Really fun family show.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2020 at 14:25, Toast said:

I've watched about 8 episodes now and have revised my opinion. 

It's tripe.  Repetitive tripe at that, every episode is basically the same.  And some of the massive divergences from canon are really grating.

I'm out.

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

I've watched about 8 episodes now and have revised my opinion. 

It's tripe.  Repetitive tripe at that, every episode is basically the same.  And some of the massive divergences from canon are really grating.

I'm out.

Victor Meldrew: Your Majesty, evil magicians wish to do you ill.

Giles from Buffy: Nonsense. I don't believe you, my oldest friend. I will continue to do the foolish thing. Oops I nearly died. I shall never doubt you again, oldest friend.

Next week, back to square one.

• Haha 1

We (particularly GAB, who fancies the lead) have been watching The Last Kingdom, which isn't wonderful, but decidedly better than average. Keep finding myself rooting for the Danes who, whilst  a little bloodthirsty, are a lot more honourable - and less devious - than most of the English characters. Continuity is a bit off though - series 1 started with Alfred becoming King, half way through series 3 he is dying but neither he, the leading man or indeed any of the other characters that have survived thus far look a day older than they did at the outset, which  - given Alfred ruled for nearly 30 years - is some achievement

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

We (particularly GAB, who fancies the lead) have been watching The Last Kingdom, which isn't wonderful, but decidedly better than average. Keep finding myself rooting for the Danes who, whilst  a little bloodthirsty, are a lot more honourable - and less devious - than most of the English characters. Continuity is a bit off though - series 1 started with Alfred becoming King, half way through series 3 he is dying but neither he, the leading man or indeed any of the other characters that have survived thus far look a day older than they did at the outset, which  - given Alfred ruled for nearly 30 years - is some achievement

I really, really love The Last Kingdom so have to disagree with your opinion that it isn't wonderful :P

You're right about the ageing, but I find that tends to be the case with most series.   They do manage to make Alfred look more and more ill as he approaches death, but his Mrs still looks as young as ever.  As for Uhtred, his changing hairstyles seem to be a metaphor for ageing  :D and I agree with GAB that he is most fetching.

Some terrific characters though, with a changing array of adversaries, and while I often think I have guessed what's going to happen, it usually manages to surprise me.

Really pleased that a fifth season has been confirmed, as it now looks like they'll take it right to the end of the story (13 books altogether and they've covered roughly 2 books each series, although I gather there are differences).

It's all gone a bit highbrow here.

They are rerunning episodes of Dempsey and Makepeace on ITV4.

Yes, it was fucking atrocious.

Glynis Barber, however, really was fit and she still is.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Victor Meldrew: Your Majesty, evil magicians wish to do you ill.

Bloke off of Gold Blend adverts: Nonsense. I don't believe you, my oldest friend. I will continue to do the foolish thing. Oops I nearly died. I shall never doubt you again, oldest friend.

Edited to show my age. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Toast said:

Edited to show my age. 

Hah. Yeah, he's been in a fair few things so I was trying to work out which seemed the most obvious.

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

It's all gone a bit highbrow here.

They are rerunning episodes of Dempsey and Makepeace on ITV4.

Yes, it was fucking atrocious.

Glynis Barber, however, really was fit and she still is.

I will have to check that out, loved it as a wee lad! I remember the first episode, I fell in love with Dempsey's Colt Python then next thing he met Makepeace who was in a short dress. I instantly thought this was the best thing on telly!

I've since had many a bang with one but never the other unfortunately. ;)

• Like 1

Watching The Fall

Gillian Anderson is a detective hunting down a serial killer.  Tense, gripping stuff - really enjoying this!

It was a 2013 BBC drama, on Netflix now.

And if you want a laugh, Norsemen on Netflix is quite amusing. A total piss-take of Vikings and its ilk.  Dirty and fun.

Made by Norwegians and clearly very low-budget!  It's in English, no dubbing or subtitles.  They shot it in both languages.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Watching The Fall

Gillian Anderson is a detective hunting down a serial killer.  Tense, gripping stuff - really enjoying this!

It was a 2013 BBC drama, on Netflix now.

And if you want a laugh, Norsemen on Netflix is quite amusing. A total piss-take of Vikings and its ilk.  Dirty and fun.

Made by Norwegians and clearly very low-budget!  It's in English, no dubbing or subtitles.  They shot it in both languages.

I watched The Fall when it first aired. It was damn good!

• Like 1