Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

Anyone watching The Umbrella Academy?

Just got Britbox . I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the content- I spent a day binge watching Dan Jones' historical documentaries on War of the Rose's and medieval Kings Kings yesterday.  Well worth a look if you've a day to spare.

On 16/08/2020 at 14:18, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I watched The Fall when it first aired. It was damn good!

I finished it yesterday, it was brilliant. 

Having read a few reviews and comments, I think it benefited from being watched as a continuous series. 

Mystified that almost everyone finds Jamie Dornan irresistably handsome, he does nothing for me, same sort of looks as Colin Firth.  No thanks.  I found him utterly repellent, as befitted the role.   You can tell when people are blinded by what attracts them, as some mentioned his "charm".  :facepalm:  Well, there was no charm on display at  all - it simply wasn't appropriate to the character.  One of the best and most chilling portrayals of a villain that I've seen.

Merlin turned up in it! :o Grown up a bit.  Now there I would. :evil2:

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

I finished it yesterday, it was brilliant. 

Having read a few reviews and comments, I think it benefited from being watched as a continuous series. 

Mystified that almost everyone finds Jamie Dornan irresistably handsome, he does nothing for me, same sort of looks as Colin Firth.  No thanks.  I found him utterly repellent, as befitted the role.   You can tell when people are blinded by what attracts them, as some mentioned his "charm".  :facepalm:  Well, there was no charm on display at  all - it simply wasn't appropriate to the character.  One of the best and most chilling portrayals of a villain that I've seen.

I didn't find him charming either, but they do show how someone like that can pull the wool over the eyes of his loved ones and even get them to lie to the police against their better nature. I'm only on Series 2 at the moment on Netflix, but I found the scenes were he grooms the 14 year old babysitter quite hard going because it's the sort of thing that goes on in real life.

Although I struggled to keep up with the whole police corruption/non-serial killer deaths subplot, tbh.

I've also watched You on Netflix, which is about another "charming lead" - see horrific sexually motivated serial killer played by a guy who used to do romantic TV.  Penn Badgley, he's quite good in it, it's from his perspective but it's clear he's the villain to everyone but himself - and his twitter fans. The second series just ended on one of the most perfect narrative climax for a character I've seen in modern TV, so naturally they've just announced a new series for 2021 which will have to ruin it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

the 14 year old babysitter

Aisling Franciosi was a revelation too, she played a blinder (she must have been about 20 irl).  She had a small but vital role (flashback only) in Game Of Thrones, but I hadn't seen her in anything else.

That sub-plot was another little GoT corner, with Barristan Selmy Ian McElhinney and Roose Bolton Michael McElhatton!  :D  It isn't important to the main plot.

I might try 'You' then, if you recommend it.  Planning to watch 'The Missing' next, it's on iplayer.

ETA Just had a look at this Penn Badgley guy, and he's very much the same type as Dornan, and Firth (when younger).  They could all be brothers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

Aisling Franciosi was a revelation too, she played a blinder (she must have been about 20 irl).  She had a small but vital role (flashback only) in Game Of Thrones, but I hadn't seen her in anything else.

That sub-plot was another little GoT corner, with Barristan Selmy Ian McElhinney and Roose Bolton Michael McElhatton!  :D  It isn't important to the main plot.

I might try 'You' then, if you recommend it.  Planning to watch 'The Missing' next, it's on iplayer.

I'm not usually a fan of shows like this but I did watch all of You. So it must have something going for it.

• Like 1

There must be an increasing crossover between prime, which i do have, and netflix which I don't. I saw The Fall last year on prime, agreed, it was very good. I liked that the story ran the whole set of series rather than one story per series.

Also on prime was The Tunnel which is a loose remake of the danish bridge (which was also remade as the american bridge...), I liked that too and continuing the use of GoT alumni it has Stannis Baratheon Stephen Dillane as co-lead.

I have recently watched The Tunnel (but only the first series for now), I think on NOW TV :D

Benjen Stark Joseph Mawle was in it too (the GoT alumni spotting is compulsive now)

I am a bit spoilt as I have NOW TV on my phone package, and Amazon Prime courtesy of my neighbour who orders anything I want post-free and has added me to his account.  Which is nice.  Netflix is only £5.99 a month so as I can cancel any time I don't begrudge 20p a day.  I offered to add neighbour but he's already piggybacking off someone else''s Netflix :lol:

10 minutes ago, Toast said:

I have recently watched The Tunnel (but only the first series for now), I think on NOW TV :D

Actually it was NOW tv which i briefly had access to, my error, I'm easily confused with all these services.

That said, The Fall was definitely 100% on Prime.

......probably.

Have just binged watched the first five episodes of BBC drama A Suitable Boy.

It is ages since I read the book but the whole thing brought it back.

Fantastic adaptation

Feeling a bit cosmopolitan, so I'm watching the Danish comedy/drama Rita, and quite enjoying it.

Des. The ITV true crime docudrama about Dennis Nilsen. Chilling. Very well done, whilst avoiding the portrayal of the actual murders. Definitely worth a watch.

9 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Des. The ITV true crime docudrama about Dennis Nilsen. Chilling. Very well done, whilst avoiding the portrayal of the actual murders. Definitely worth a watch.

Agreed. I only watched it because I have this unnatural obsession with death of the cast, but I thought it was told very well - no sensationalism. I think the last thing I watched on ITV (apart from occasional Tipping Point or The Chase) was Marcella, series 1, in 2016.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, time said:

Agreed. I only watched it because I have this unnatural obsession with death of the cast, but I thought it was told very well - no sensationalism. I think the last thing I watched on ITV (apart from occasional Tipping Point or The Chase) was Marcella, series 1, in 2016.

No need to use that strikethrough of shame, Brother Time. We all do. And it's certainly not unnatural.

I shall try and watch it on catch up, after I get through my Britain's Sexiest Serial Killers backlog.

Just finished binge watching Game of Thrones.  All 8 series over 3 weekends. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

No need to use that strikethrough of shame, Brother Time. We all do. And it's certainly not unnatural.

I shall try and watch it on catch up, after I get through my Britain's Sexiest Serial Killers backlog.

The strikethrough was for reasons of accuracy, not because of any feeling of shame. If I hadn't seen/heard that the cast was lead by Tennant & Mays, I doubt very much if I'd have watched it, ITV being just below QVC in order of channel preference for TV watching.

Incidentally, I knew Mays reminded me of someone, but couldn't think who, then last night someone said he's a natural to play Hancock in the next life-story TV movie. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, time said:

The strikethrough was for reasons of accuracy, not because of any feeling of shame. If I hadn't seen/heard that the cast was lead by Tennant & Mays, I doubt very much if I'd have watched it, ITV being just below QVC in order of channel preference for TV watching.

Incidentally, I knew Mays reminded me of someone, but couldn't think who, then last night someone said he's a natural to play Hancock in the next life-story TV movie. 

He looks like a generic mid-ranking snooker player from the 80s/90s... Tony Meo meets Mark Williams in the alley next to the boozer.

1 minute ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

He looks like a generic mid-ranking snooker player from the 80s/90s... Tony Meo meets Mark Williams in the alley next to the boozer.

I can definitely see Tony Meo there

4 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

And?  :P

8 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Nothing....... I was just attention seeking. :lol:

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Just kidding....... It was actually quite good once I'd sussed out the different families and plots and sub plots.   The decapitation special effects (at least I hope they were SF) were really good.  I've walked down the streets of Croatia where it was filmed (before it was a tv show) brought back some nice memories of that city. 

• Like 1

Just finished the second go through of all three seasons of Netflix Anime series Aggretsuko about an anthromorphised raccoon that sings death metal karaoke to detract from her tedious office life as a junior accountant

Sanrio's Aggretsuko will Premiere Globally as a Netflix Original Series in  Spring 2018

• Confused 1

On 15/06/2020 at 21:48, Bibliogryphon said:

All the filming for Ghosts Series 2 is complete so it depends whether the post production has been delayed. It is actually a grower. The first few episodes are a bit slow but there are some great performances and it is very witty and sweet.

Series 2 of Ghosts is starting Monday 21st September.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Just finished the second go through of all three seasons of Netflix Anime series Aggretsuko about an anthromorphised raccoon that sings death metal karaoke to detract from her tedious office life as a junior accountant

Sanrio's Aggretsuko will Premiere Globally as a Netflix Original Series in  Spring 2018

VERY relatable.

Watched the first 3 episodes now.

• Like 1