Banshees Scream

So .. What Do You Watch On TV?

9 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

VERY relatable.

Watched the first 3 episodes now.

Really?

Don't tell me, you are a anthromorphised raccoon too!

• Haha 2

Currently rewatching the Sopranos, only one of the best shows ever.

Has anyone actually watched Des (with David Tennant) yet? I've heard its good but I'd like to hear some opinions as I get bored easily. Tiger King bored me ngl.

Several years after everyone else, been discovering The Crown. Very good actually.  Claire Foy is excellent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny McCormick said:

Currently rewatching the Sopranos, only one of the best shows ever.

Has anyone actually watched Des (with David Tennant) yet? I've heard its good but I'd like to hear some opinions as I get bored easily. Tiger King bored me ngl.

Yes. It was good. It didn't glorify the murders. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Several years after everyone else, been discovering The Crown. Very good actually.  Claire Foy is excellent.

Make the most of it.  :(

Just binged watched all six episodes of the second series of Ghosts. Very funny and very clever. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Just binged watched all six episodes of the second series of Ghosts. Very funny and very clever. 

Did the same, loved it, especially the

Spoiler

burglary

one.  

• Like 1

Taskmaster. It’s back for the 10th series, on Channel 4 now having moved from Dave. Best show on television, no question.

I see Lee Mack's show is Not Going Out.

(Nicked off twitter)

Enjoy Richard Osman's House of Games, best quiz on TV IMO.

After working my way through Last Kingdom (good) and the Crown (series 1 & 2 v good, series 3 less so, perhaps due to Olivia Colman being nowhere near as nuanced as Claire Foy as the Queen) have alighted on Reign (as with the others, several years after everyone else), a dramatisation (complete fictionalisation) of Mary Queen of Scots' time at the French court.

Was hoping it would be another Tudors, especially given the presence of a number of rather comely young ladies as Mary and her young ladies. Sadly most of the latter can't act, and all speak neither with French nor Scottish accents but in sloaney English ones, the overall effect being rather similar to Made in Chelsea, an appalling programme which I am subjected to occasionally as one of the young wombles watches it. These women don't even compensate for their acting and historical anachronicity by (Tudors-style) removing their clothing on a regular - or even occasional - basis. We do enjoy referring to Toby Regbo's Francis as 'Ethelred' (his role in Lost Kingdom) but, after 4 or 5 episodes, don't think I'll stick with it, although GAB and daughter probably will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I keep mixing up Last Kingdom talk with Kingdom, the cool feudal Korean zombie series on Netflix.

1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

After working my way through Last Kingdom (good) and the Crown (series 1 & 2 v good, series 3 less so, perhaps due to Olivia Colman being nowhere near as nuanced as Claire Foy as the Queen) have alighted on Reign (as with the others, several years after everyone else), a dramatisation (complete fictionalisation) of Mary Queen of Scots' time at the French court.

Was hoping it would be another Tudors, especially given the presence of a number of rather comely young ladies as Mary and her young ladies. Sadly most of the latter can't act, and all speak neither with French nor Scottish accents but in sloaney English ones, the overall effect being rather similar to Made in Chelsea, an appalling programme which I am subjected to occasionally as one of the young wombles watches it. These women don't even compensate for their acting and historical anachronicity by (Tudors-style) removing their clothing on a regular - or even occasional - basis. We do enjoy referring to Toby Regbo's Francis as 'Ethelred' (his role in Lost Kingdom) but, after 4 or 5 episodes, don't think I'll stick with it, although GAB and daughter probably will.

You dirty old dog womble, Bulgy! I've always meant to ask - are you lot officially classed as vermin and are we legally allowed to shoot you?

• Haha 1

I had considered Reign, but haven't quite dared to go there.  I suspected it would be crap.

I've just enjoyed Medici Masters Of Florence, lots of plotting and politics, and a whodunnit into the bargain.  (I was a bit confused by the flashback scenes early on, but once I realised that the younger Cosimo and Lorenzo have longer hair than their older selves, it was fine.) Will be moving on to Medici The Magnificent, two more seasons continuing the story but skipping a generation.

I agree with you about The Crown - Olivia Colman very one-note as I feared she would be.  She clearly hasn't studied the Queen to any depth.  Also questionable what they chose to include and what to leave out. 

Comely young ladies removing their clothing?  I take it you haven't missed Harlots:lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

You dirty old dog womble, Bulgy! I've always meant to ask - are you lot officially classed as vermin and are we legally allowed to shoot you?

absolutely not, we perform a socially and environmentally useful function. Well, not me so much, I sit in the burrow watching dodgy TV programmes while the young wombles are out saving the planet, remembering they're wombles etc.

absolutely not, we perform a socially and environmentally useful function. Well, not me so much, I sit in the burrow watching dodgy TV programmes while the young wombles are out saving the planet, remembering they're wombles etc.

Are you predicting a Wombling Merry Christmas?

59 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Are you predicting a Wombling Merry Christmas?

For us wombles perhaps, we're used to hiding underground in the burrow and avoiding humans. We won't be wombling in the snow all day long this year though.

For humans it's going to be bloody miserable.....

• Like 1

On 08/09/2020 at 10:43, time said:

Feeling a bit cosmopolitan, so I'm watching the Danish comedy/drama Rita, and quite enjoying it.

Finished Rita (Netfix), not bad but (like a lot of successful programmes) one series/season too many. Also watched the standalone spinoff Hjørdis, which was an unnecessary addition in my opinion.

Still feeling cosmopolitam I ventured across the Øresund and watched Quicksand, a Swedish crime drama. Enjoyed that, even if it was advertised as for a teen audience.

I'm currently watching "The Boys" (Amazon Prime Video), based on the comic book of the same name. Good in parts, some dark humour, but the worst characterisation of an Englishman since Bert the chimney sweep, & the worst characterisation of a Frenchman since Officer Crabtree.

I tried "Dark", the German science fiction mystery/thriller , after hearing good things about it; found it heavy going trying to keep up withn who's who, but I'll give it another go soon.

For humans it's going to be bloody miserable.....

Why?  :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, time said:

Finished Rita (Netfix), not bad but (like a lot of successful programmes) one series/season too many. Also watched the standalone spinoff Hjørdis, which was an unnecessary addition in my opinion.

Still feeling cosmopolitam I ventured across the Øresund and watched Quicksand, a Swedish crime drama. Enjoyed that, even if it was advertised as for a teen audience.

I'm currently watching "The Boys" (Amazon Prime Video), based on the comic book of the same name. Good in parts, some dark humour, but the worst characterisation of an Englishman since Bert the chimney sweep, & the worst characterisation of a Frenchman since Officer Crabtree.

I tried "Dark", the German science fiction mystery/thriller , after hearing good things about it; found it heavy going trying to keep up withn who's who, but I'll give it another go soon.

Officer Crabtree isn't French......

11 hours ago, time said:

"The Boys"

The premise is great, particularly for me since I find actual superhero films too tedious for words (I accept that may be just me), and the show itself is pretty good. Just starting on series 2.

11 hours ago, time said:

the worst characterisation of an Englishman since Bert the chimney sweep

Agreed, Karl Urban should have been told to stick to his native NZ within the first 5 minutes, must have been an all American crew because a single brit could have told them....

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Officer Crabtree isn't French......

No but he is portraying a Frenchman very poorly, as is Tomer Kapon.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Agreed, Karl Urban should have been told to stick to his native NZ within the first 5 minutes, must have been an all American crew because a single brit could have told them....

American & Canadian by the look of it. I wonder if Simon Pegg ever mentioned it.

I liked David Tennant in Jessica Jones on Netflix, pure escapism in another dimension. He is no Dr. Who. Terrifying from series 2 when he kicks in properly, JJ attitude is perfect IDGAF (my favourite acronym) and take on the world.

I enjoyed the Netflix remake of Rebecca as well, beautifully stylish.

On 22/10/2020 at 16:06, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

I like it too, it's a rare programme in which slebs are generally far less annoying than usual (apart from Naga Munchetty) and there's a sense of genuine bonhomie. I put it down to Osman (though I can understand him not being everyone's cup of tea, he's a tad smug), who's self-deprecatingly witty without being cuntish towards people in the way Jonathan Ross is. The show also pleasingly reminds the snob in me just how thick most people in the public eye actually are.

Should we read anything into Rufus Hound's strange hat in this week's edition - fashion statement/haircut fail, or perhaps something more sinister?

Edit: he threw his hat off in mock rage today and it looks like he's just hiding the fact he's becoming a slaphead.

Edited by harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy
Next edition aired

On 22/10/2020 at 16:06, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

13 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I like it too, it's a rare programme in which slebs are generally far less annoying than usual (apart from Naga Munchetty) and there's a sense of genuine bonhomie. I put it down to Osman (though I can understand him not being everyone's cup of tea, he's a tad smug), who's self-deprecatingly witty without being cuntish towards people in the way Jonathan Ross is. The show also pleasingly reminds the snob in me just how thick most people in the public eye actually are.

Should we read anything into Rufus Hound's strange hat in this week's edition - fashion statement/haircut fail, or perhaps something more sinister?

Edit: he threw his hat off in mock rage today and it looks like he's just hiding the fact he's becoming a slaphead.

I watch  a couple of times a week generally, good fun in  the main, but can't stand it when someone takes it way too seriously. Stephen Mangan, I'm looking at you. Of course this applies to other shows too - years back Chris Addison on QI was unbearable. Definitely the sort of kid at the front of the class with his hand up shouting "Sir, Sir, me sir".

(Yes, I recognise some of these traits in my own character. I must have been horrible as a kid).